mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Long vs Short Chainstay Setting?

My DH bike has an adjustable chainstay. I've always run it in the long position because I just figured longer was better for going fast. So what are the benefits of a shorter chainstay on a DH/Freeride bike?

mtbr member
    You are correct in assuming the longer setting is more stable at high speeds. Shorter setting would be good if you're going to spend some more time jumping and doing more freeride type of riding.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by bklnbdub View Post
    You are correct in assuming the longer setting is more stable at high speeds. Shorter setting would be good if you're going to spend some more time jumping and doing more freeride type of riding.

true true and add easier/quiker for turns
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

All this harmonica stuff
    Having Chainstay preferences can't be properly described w/o stem and handlebar specifics being included. A short CS'd bike having no rise/negative offset on the front could be fairly stable, likewise the other extreme could be high centered and instable.
    I like Sand - I don't like Witches.

mtbr member
    I can't entirely agree with what's being said - as long as you have a long wheelbase, chainstay length doesn't have that large of an effect on stability at speed (try riding a Speshy Enduro or Pivot Mach 5 and tell me those aren't stable at speed, LOL!). The biggest thing it affects is the "playfulness" of the bike. Short stays makes it easier to lift the front wheel for wheelies, manuals, getting over obstacles and keeping the front up on drops and jumps. Longer stays keeps the bike more planted and is better for climbing steeps (better leverage). Personally I prefer 17ish stays for all my bikes no matter what the speeds (for med bikes with 45"+ wheelbase). If the bike is already on the short side for you (short wheelbase), then yes, longer stays is an easy fix for better stability at speed. But if the bike is long enough, go with the shorter chainstay setting for a more fun bike!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Last edited by Gman086; 01-05-2014 at 09:58 PM.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    I can't entirely agree with what's being said - as long as you have a long wheelbase, chainstay length doesn't have that large of an effect on stability at speed (try riding a Speshy Enduro or Pivot Mach 5 and tell me those aren't stable at speed, LOL!). The biggest thing it affects is the "playfulness" of the bike. Short stays makes it easier to lift the front wheel for wheelies, manuals, getting over obstacles and keeping the front up on drops and jumps. Longer stays keeps the bike more planted and is better for climbing steeps (better leverage). Personally I prefer 17ish stays for all my bikes no matter what the speeds (for med bikes with 45"+ wheelbase). If the bike is already on the short side for you (short wheelbase), then yes, longer stays is an easy fix for better stability at speed. But if the bike is long enough, go with the shorter chainstay setting for a more fun bike!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    That makes enough sense. Thanks homie.