Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    the giant.

long travel hardtail?

what kind of hardtails are out there that can handle a 180mm dual crown fork? my fs frame basically died on me, so im switching towards a hardtail. whats out there with 135mm spacing and can handle a long fork?

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by gbosbiker View Post
    what kind of hardtails are out there that can handle a 180mm dual crown fork? my fs frame basically died on me, so im switching towards a hardtail. whats out there with 135mm spacing and can handle a long fork?
    Don't put a dual crown on a hardtail dude, please, it's so janky

the giant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunchbox362 View Post
    Don't put a dual crown on a hardtail dude, please, it's so janky
    im doing a frame swap. i was going to get a new fs frame but my budget just dropped significantly..so hardtail it is. and i dont have the money for a single crown.

all i want to know is what frames that are out there now that can handle that sort of travel..

Wanna ride bikes?
    Seems to me the frames that can legitimately handle that much travel would cost as much as a used single crown

the giant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunchbox362 View Post
    Seems to me the frames that can legitimately handle that much travel would cost as much as a used single crown
    im asking for what frames can handle it. and if there arent anymore in production, ill consider a fork swap of some sort. all i want to know is whats out there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Mine does just fine... thought I wouldn't really recommend it. I set it up on a drunken night just to have some fun and I'll admit... it's a blast to ride around, but I wouldn't want to leave it that way. I've already moved it over to a 150mm fox.

It's 180mm shiver loaded up on an '06 rocky mountain flow f2.0

habitual line-stepper
    the ragley troof and bagger frames are optimized for 150-170mm forks. i can't think of any HT designed around a DC fork. you could try to contact brant and ask his opinion, he's on mtbr from time to time. good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    why not by an older used full sus? stupid decision in my personal opinion, you can get a used sunday frame for around $500. one even sold for $250!??!?! youd be better off buying a bmx bike.

sunday - Freeride/DH Frames - Page 1 - Pinkbike.com Buy&Sell

the giant.
    im trying to stay away from older fs's because of the wear and tear they get. my bikes only 4 yrs old and half the bushings are shot. hardtails are simpler and more versatile. most of the stuff i ride requires pedaling so a hardtail will help. im basically looking for a long travel all mtn bike. the fork is an 05 888 rc. im pretty sure its 180mm or 170mm. so it sits somewhere in the 160mm single crown height i believe.

and i have a bmx back home. bmx doesnt do it for me anymore. ive had multiple bmxs and dj bikes. nothing gives me the same feeling as ripping down a trail.

the giant.
    Quote Originally Posted by kanai View Post
    the ragley troof and bagger frames are optimized for 150-170mm forks. i can't think of any HT designed around a DC fork. you could try to contact brant and ask his opinion, he's on mtbr from time to time. good luck
    that ragley troof looks like what im looking for. i was looking at the sinister ridge, but thats way too expensive. all ide need for the frame swap is a reducer headset, seatpost, and the frame itself. looks like i found my frame!

Come at me bro.
    nothing gives me the same feeling as ripping down a trail....or my local school's grass
    fixed.

Moose Member
    If you've had a DJ bike before, you would know that this will be a taller DJ bike, and a FS will be a lot better. You bought your mongoose used and it broke. **** happens. That dosent mean all used bikes will break. I bought an 02 M1 used (im the third user) and its still going strong. I've broken the shock twice and still not the frame. check Pinkbikes buy/sell. Good stuff goes on there for cheap all the time.

I can garuntee you that you wont feel like dong stuff like that road gap on a hardtail....

look for stuff like this:
    2006 session 77 with a 66 coil new internals! PRICE DROP - Pinkbike.com

***Santa Cruz Bullit 2005 for sale!*** PRICE DROP *** - Pinkbike.com

2005 black foes fly with upgrades!! size large - Pinkbike.com

stuff like that. You will enjoy "ripping down a trail" so much more.

Look at the time!
    Transition Vagrant. No longer made but you should be able to find one used. Can mount a 200mm DC if you want. Rides like crap though, feels like the head angle changes from 65 to 80 degrees when the fork compresses. Which is one of the main problems with long travel hardtails.

This photo pretty much sums it up. Thats a vagrant with a 888.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

the giant.
    i guess what im getting at is that im going towards the AM side of things with the occasional freeride type stuff. im going to be doing alot of pedaling. the mongoose made me realize that a fs is not whats gunna get the job done. and if i ever want to go back to fs, i can ghetto rig the crap out of my mongoose to make it rideable again.

and that picture with the vagrant, those are single track rims. im not surprised that happened..

pin it
    Just to add to the comments, you might want to contact the manufacturer rep for the bike you plan to build up and ask your question. They would know which bikes can handle a double crown or any other structural questions. They know the geometry and compatibility of their bikes best

Last month after blowing up my seals on my fork, I contacted the rep for Transition (Chris) to ask if I can replace my 180mm fork with a double crown. The rep replied to my email with a rational why a double crown was not compatible or recommended for my bike (Syren). He provided me with alternate solutions as well.... great advice.

Look at the time!
    i guess what im getting at is that im going towards the AM side of things with the occasional freeride type stuff. im going to be doing alot of pedaling. the mongoose made me realize that a fs is not whats gunna get the job done. and if i ever want to go back to fs, i can ghetto rig the crap out of my mongoose to make it rideable again.

and that picture with the vagrant, those are single track rims. im not surprised that happened..
    The reason that happened was that he shorted the creek gap on "brakecheck" at Blackrock and smashed his back wheel into the log at 25mph...

What I am getting at is that I have pedalled that vagrant around, and my conclusion is that a hardtail with 200mm travel rides like crap. The front end is ridiculously high and bobs up and down when you pedal so it still doesnt make a good all mountain bike. At the same time you have a very slack head angle that transforms into an extremely steep head angle when the fork compresses, which makes it handle really weird on the down hill. Going down fast, your back end bounces around uncontrollably while your fork is twiddling its thumbs. Jumping it also feels really weird as the front end soaks up the ramp while the back end pops up. It just creates a very very unbalanced bike.

My advice would be a short travel FS freeride bike like a Transition Bottle Rocket or Dual, a Specialized SX or something like that. Set up the suspension fairly stiff so it doesn't bottom out on jumps and pedals well. It will still work better in the rough stuff than a hardtail with a 7 pound fork, and blow it out of the water anywhere else. Feel free to ignore all the advice here though and see for yourself.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My 95% bike for local trails (XC/AM) is a 29er rigid SS running 32/15 and commute back and forth to work. I put about 35mi a day on that bike for the last 3yrs straight, 4-6 days a week. I tell you that so you know when it comes to tooting around the trails, my legs are up to just about anything I can throw at them.

I took the hardtail pictured above for a 13mi trip out on the same trail and it was torture. Center balance is about 2" behind the headset. It is HEAVY and difficult to navigate uphill. If you're thinking about even light AM, you will hate it. I promise you that. It handled the little 3-footers and small gaps on our local trails just fine... and even the short and moderate downhill sections of the trail. Anything larger and it's so front heavy that it gets harder and more work than it's worth to keep from nose diving. Plus even getting to them was a chore I really don't want to experience again if I don't have to.

Seriously check out pinkbike, ebay and even craigslist. You can easily find an inexpensive hardtail that would be ready to ride and much more enjoyable for all mountain type riding than a single frame designed to take a DC fork. For example, I picked up an '08 fisher wahoo for $150 on craigslist locally, disc brakes and everything and I rode that a madman. When something broke, I upgraded. I still have the bike and love it - same frame as its $1500 brethren with lower-end parts. Now you have your XC/AM trail bike and sock a few buck away each payday over the winter to replace/rebuild your DH frame.

maker of trail
    Some of the norco shore hardtails can run DC forks, some came with them stock, like the manic.

Pretty fun bikes!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kanai View Post
    brant is no longer w/ ragley, but yeah, those frames would be fine w/ a 180mm fork. i've run a 160mm totem on my bagger & geo is spot on for aggressive trail / freeride. your dualcrown will probably have a similar fork height. yeah, dc looks a bit wack on a ht, but if it's what you've got & you're on a budget, i'd say run with it. run a bit more low speed compression so you're not wallowing, and you're golden. long(ish) travel on a ht can work if the frame is designed for it, and you're fork is set up appropriately.

also troof vs bagger: though i've not ridden the troof, there is a discernible bit of compliance w/ the steel bagger over other aluminum ht's i've tried. takes the edge off for sure; i wouldn't ride aluminum again.

the giant.
    Quote Originally Posted by xy9ine View Post
    brant is no longer w/ ragley, but yeah, those frames would be fine w/ a 180mm fork. i've run a 160mm totem on my bagger & geo is spot on for aggressive trail / freeride. your dualcrown will probably have a similar fork height. yeah, dc looks a bit wack on a ht, but if it's what you've got & you're on a budget, i'd say run with it. run a bit more low speed compression so you're not wallowing, and you're golden. long(ish) travel on a ht can work if the frame is designed for it, and you're fork is set up appropriately.

also troof vs bagger: though i've not ridden the troof, there is a discernible bit of compliance w/ the steel bagger over other aluminum ht's i've tried. takes the edge off for sure; i wouldn't ride aluminum again.
    thank you for a response that ive been looking for. yeah i know it will be wack looking, but itll get the job done for what i want. i found the troof and bagger on CRC and i can get everything needed to convert over to one of the frames (headset, seatpost, etc) for $590. not too bad for a brand new frame and a few odds and ends.

so now the debate bagger vs troof? i know the bagger will be more forgiving, but i love the look of the troof. i dont mind a slightly harsher ride. im more worried about long term durability..right now im leaning towards the troof.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    i'd still encourage you to look at the steel bagger, but to each his own. this is actually kinda neat: super slack dh ht (boxxer dropped to 6")

Homemade Bikes: Paul Burford and the BTR Mark 1

the giant.
    Quote Originally Posted by xy9ine View Post
    i'd still encourage you to look at the steel bagger, but to each his own. this is actually kinda neat: super slack dh ht (boxxer dropped to 6")

Homemade Bikes: Paul Burford and the BTR Mark 1
    im not disregarding the bagger. theres no doubt in my mind that is a great bike. i just love the looks of the troof. i found a picture of an 18" bagger and it looks nicer in a bigger frame size. i guess i like the look of the troof because i had a dj bike before that so im used to the low slung frames. but if the bagger is a smoother ride ide be willing to compromise seeing how they are both the same price i cant complain much. the bagger is only in 20" on CRC now (what i need) so if that goes out of stock im getting the troof. but if its still in stock ill probably go for the bagger

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    If you're looking at $590 for a new HT frame, why not go with a used FR/DH frame? You could easily replace/upgrade your mongoose, transfer hardware and be back in to a full suspension for that money.

the giant.
    Quote Originally Posted by fryed_1 View Post
    If you're looking at $590 for a new HT frame, why not go with a used FR/DH frame? You could easily replace/upgrade your mongoose, transfer hardware and be back in to a full suspension for that money.
    because im going to be doing A LOT of pedaling and with full suspension frames theres too many different variations of parts (bb width, wheel spacing etc) out there. forget finding a large/xl frame that will work. with the stuff im riding a long travel hardtail is plenty. plus then theres less maintenance in the long run. a hardtail is more versatile for what i want

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Good luck with that man... hehe.. Like I said I'm a strong rider, a LOT of XC on a daily basis and a DC hardtail was rough on me. Run it for a bit, but if you see an inexpensive SC fork in the 120-160mm range you should jump on it. Your legs will definitely thank you! I was able to pick up a Fox 32 130mm for my Rocky Mountain pictured above locally on craigslist for $225 and it included a Mavic Crossland rim. I am a MUCH happier rider now.

FWIW Chainlove had some new Rocky Mountain Flow DJ bikes in the $500 range a few months ago. Might try to dig around to see if any are still around. It's a stout enough bike and light enough so you could have a lot of fun on it and not have to worry about moving parts over from your Mongoose. Always nice to have a second bike as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast