Ride'n Dirty

Little confused on knee/shin gaurds

Currently I am the owner of a pair of 661 knee/shin guards but seriously need to buy a new pair due to discomfort from wearing them, they the upper straps rub my leg to the point they cause cuts & chaffing in my skin. Being diabetic myself, cuts suck big time cause cuts take Forever to heal, anywhere from 3-6 months!

I know a lot of people on the site recommend the dainese 3x knee guards and I have looked at them at different review sites, I have also looked at the RockGardn LZMX Knee-Shin Guard and I cant determine what would be a better buy or are they equal in features & functions.

Another thing that I am puzzled at is this, while doing searches at store sites for the dainese 3x knee guards I keep seeing Dainese Racing Knee Guard Extreme guards or Dainese Racing Knee Guards. Anybody know the differences between these three products.

I dont do anything extreme, I dont race and the local trails aren't that technical in nature so I just need some opinions. I want to get the absolute best that I can without spending to much $ but not go overkill for what I am doing on the bike at the same time.

Thanks all for any insights.
    I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Well, do you need knee/shin guards, or just knee guards? If you don't race, and the trails aren't that technical, as you say, then you may not need the shin guards.
    I wear the Fox Pro Launch knee pads, and love them. I wear them both for DH, as well as DJ, and haven't had an issue with bunching, or cutting off the circulation, or falling down. I tried on the Dianese stuff and didn't like the way they attached; but never rode them.
    My girl rides the RockGardn knee pads and while she likes them, I'm not a fan, because they move around a lot and they don't provide as much coverage as my Pro Launch.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I will second the fox pro launch as a comfortable knee pad. I have even pedaled a good distance with these and had no issues. When I need a shin protection I use them with a 661 veggie shin guard and that works really well.

Ride'n Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by CombatMutt View Post
    Well, do you need knee/shin guards, or just knee guards?
    Knee & Shin guards. When I first bought my FS Mnt bike on of the cleated pedals came around and dug into my shin.

I still have that scar!

brake later, pedal sooner
    I'm on my third pair of Fox Launch pro ... if I showed you the damage my first two pairs have taken, and the fact that I am still able to walk..... well, you would buy them.

I've tried 661 Pro, 661 Race, Race Face FR Rally, DH Rally.... I'll stick with the Fox.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Race Face Dig are my choice for knee pads. Similar to Straits but fir me a bit better. . If you want a bit of shin protection without a full plastic guard, check out the RF Flank. Crazy comfortable with just the right amount of padding for your shins...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ustemuf View Post
    I'm on my third pair of Fox Launch pro ... if I showed you the damage my first two pairs have taken, and the fact that I am still able to walk..... well, you would buy them.

I've tried 661 Pro, 661 Race, Race Face FR Rally, DH Rally.... I'll stick with the Fox.
    does the shin guard go all the way to the ankle?

Ride'n Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJDOG View Post
    Yea, that would be important for me as well.

brake later, pedal sooner
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJDOG View Post
    since i am such a nice forum member:

goes down pretty far. i don't ride in asics obviously - 5.10 impacts.

this is the size large/xtra-large. i am 6'0.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    same, 6'1. Actually tried riding w/ those shoes for hot days. Figured they're light and breath well.. they're better running shoes

much abliged
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Little confused on knee/shin gaurds-picture-1.png  

mtbr member
    I just bought a pair of THE Industries Storm F1 Knee/ Shin pads and so far they have been great! Very comfortable (don't notice them when wearing them), breathable, and very protective. I tried on a bunch of different ones before I settled on these as they were most comfortable. I would highly suggest trying on a bunch before you buy a pair. I tried on POC VPD's, Dianese 3x, Fox Launch, and a couple others and for me these were most comfortable by far! I am 6'2 with long, fairly long legs, and it goes down to my ankle. I have a LG/XL and it fits very well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I've been happy with the Fox Launch knee/shins as well. I use them for DH and DJ, and can't complain about them. The x-style strap system keeps the straps off the back of your knee where most of the chaffing happens.

It appears for 2011, they changes their launch to the softer shell looking Pro Launch (which was mentioned int he 2nd and 3rd). I can only recommend the previous version (the ones shown in the photo above), as that's all I've ever used. I'd hope they didn't make them worse. They've been great for me. The older versions are still for sale.

As for Dainese...I'm not sure of the difference in those guards. Their product line seems to change all the time, their webpage is a bit wonky, and it's hard to find what the differences are between models and model years. I'm surprised people don't like their knee/shin guards, though. I haven't used them, but I have one of their pressure suits, and it fits like a freaking glove, constructed super solid, and doesn't chaffe anywhere. Obviously...it may just be lucky that it fits me so well.

mtbr member
    TLD Lopes knee/shin guards.

They're held in place by a neoprene knee guard (hard plastic bits velcro to the neoprene) which covers your whole knee & is very comfortable. I usually forget that I'm wearing them. Protection is good. Also pretty light.

You can wear just the neoprene knee guard for xc riding.

Downside: shin guard is pretty small (I'm 6'5") & the pedal can get your ankle under the shin guard. Also kind of expensive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

had similar question

I was wondering about the 3x guards a while back and posted asking about them:
    looking to get Dainese knee guards...

now after using the guards for almost a year now, I am looking to replace them. I have sensitive skin and the Velcro straps behind the knees annoy me greatly. No cuts or anything but I constantly stop and adjust.

I would look elsewhere and I think the key here is finding straps that are WIDE. I am using raceface fr rally (i think that's what its called) elbow pads and they feel better against my skin. Those rockgardn pads look promising without any Velcro up top.

I am even thinking about sewing my own straps to the 3x. They are light and feel great except for the upper straps.

Would be happy to show pics if desired.

Whatever you decide to get, post up with your take on them.