Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Your Local Computer Geek
    Mar 2006

lite duty fr/ heavy duty all mountain ride?

I am hoping this summer to be able to (finally) get a new bike. I have been very (and I mean very) hard on past frames, rims, the bike as a whole. I like the idea in the freeride bikes but I want something that can be still be riden all day. Through much looking and reading and test rides I have come down to a few different bikes and would like to hear your thoughts and opinions on them
    GT Ruckus Flowta
    Cannondale Gemini
    Rocky Mountain Switch
    (and a personal fav) Yeti AS-X

While I know they all have their high's, they too have low's. I think that the GT and the Switch are the best for pedaling, but they all are built to take anything you put in front of them. Cost will be an issue (I'm in the military and have a family). My wife set a rought dollar amount at roughly $2500. Which all bikes CAN fall under(mainly if I can score an older model that is still brand new). Whats your take? Thanks-

e.f.f.e.c.t smoothoperatr
    transition preston fr

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    hey quesitons like this are covered weekly,so,try a search and see what you can come up with.there are plenty of bikes in this catagory.sounds like your looking for somethign with say 6" of travel?

anyway,as far as light FR,the switch may be a little big still.they are burly bikes.2 other bikes to throw in are the kona coiler,and the specialized enduro...the SX mainly,but its out of your current budget.also check out the versus blitz,and the transition preton

ahh!! you beat me!i said transition first!aha
    so this is how you add a signature!!

Your Local Computer Geek
    Mar 2006
    DD13- You my firend are right. I am looking at roughly 6 inches of travel. I also would perfer to find something that I can test ride first. I have looked at the Versus and it looks very nice and I have read the reviews here on mtbr.com and everyone says it kicks butt. But like I said I would rather be able to ride the bke and say hells yeah to it rather then drop the coin and hate it, you know? Living here in Norther Utah gives me a good selection to pull from. I mean for more high-end bikes I have go-ride.com just 30ish min away and for the more come bigger bikes companies there are some good shops that are a touch closer (5-15 min away). So I have the shops that have the bikes, but they just dont have all of the ones that might be brought up here. But I have to thank every one thus far for their input-
    you know not everyday is a sunny day
    there are the days when you are the pigeon
    and the days that you are the statue

notabouttoseeyourlight
    Czech your PM's bro!
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have the gemini 900 and really like it for all-round use. I climb a lot on it and do all day long rides. I also use it for some serious freeride. I was torn between the enduro and the gemini, and went gemini because I felt it was a little more hevy duty. The enduro would be a good choice if you want to stay a little more all-mtn. I think it would be a better climber/pedaler than the gem. The coiler would also be okay, it seems to be a cross of the two, not as good pedaling-wise as the enduro and not as freeride as the gemini? just my .02

Your Local Computer Geek
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    Czech your PM's bro!
    checkin right now bro!
    Last edited by ecfiffer05; 03-07-2006 at 03:24 PM.

mtbr member
    4 choices i would pick from:

1) Intense 6.6
    2) Santa Cruz Nomad
    3) Turner RFX
    4) Specialized Enduro

All these bikes are good for some decent drops, light enough to ride all day. Any bike in this catagory will sacrifice something for another. They are not strong enough for serious DH and too heavy for Cross Country race. They are best for rough trail with 5-6 foot drops. I personally own a Intense 6.6 with a Van 36 and absolutely love the bike. Competetive Cyclist has a demo program that you should check out. You can demo the 6.6 and the RFX. Check them out, they are awesome to deal with. Good luck with your decision.

-tmoney

Your Local Computer Geek
    Mar 2006
    All those bikes you listed are good bikes, but it comes down to the BLING BLING. I would love an Intense but they like Foes are so F'in pricey!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Consider a Heckler. The Heckler is one of the best bikes for pulling double duty and it is cheap. There are some great deals for complete packages on line right now that will come close to your budget. There are quite a few brand new Hecklers that are two or three years old, circulating on the net. You can get a Heckler frame for well under a grand U.S. at many places right now. Do some googling.

The Yeti ASX is a sweet bike that can go on the trails and handle serious abuse. Getting one in your price range will be more difficult.

Some people responding to this thread forgot to read your whole post or something. It will be very hard/pretty much impossible to build a Nomad, RFX, or Intense 6.6 and stay anywhere close to a $2500.00 operating budget. You might be able to do a 05 Enduro for $2500.00 or close. Used you can for sure.

Getting a used Heckler is a good option imo as well. Check out mtbr classifieds for some good deals.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Of the bikes you mentioned, I like the Gemini best - very good value for a very tough bike. The Yeti costs a lot more for pretty much the same ride. I never liked Rockys - seen too many broken ones.

Avoid most of the other bikes people have mentioned, as they are either way above your price range or you will break them (or both). The Heckler will not work -- I too am very hard on bikes, had a Heckler back when they first came out, and kept breaking the top shock pivot bolts - decent trailbike but not huckproof. The Enduros are getting stronger every year, but are still not strong enough for serious abuse.

Another bike worth checking out is the Norco Six. Built for tons of abuse and within your budget.

ride hard take risks
    Like ronny said Heckler is awsome. My favorite is Versus Blitz, then the one you picked the Yeti ASX.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by watermoccasin
    Of the bikes you mentioned, I like the Gemini best - very good value for a very tough bike. The Yeti costs a lot more for pretty much the same ride. I never liked Rockys - seen too many broken ones.

Avoid most of the other bikes people have mentioned, as they are either way above your price range or you will break them (or both). The Heckler will not work -- I too am very hard on bikes, had a Heckler back when they first came out, and kept breaking the top shock pivot bolts - decent trailbike but not huckproof. The Enduros are getting stronger every year, but are still not strong enough for serious abuse.

Another bike worth checking out is the Norco Six. Built for tons of abuse and within your budget.
    I think you are talking about the first generation Heckler. The Heckler is a different bike now. The Heckler will work. I weigh 215-220lbs without gear and it held up for me. I am hard on bikes to. I actually bought mine used from a clyde who was bigger and more of a hucker than I am. If there was a Heckler that should have broke, it was mine.

Read the original post. The title says light duty freeride bike that can be a trail bike, not a full on freeride bike. There are hundreds of guys using the Heckler as a do anything bike. Urban, Djs, freeride, all mountain. Check out the pics of guys going large on Hecklers on the SC forum. If you build up the Heckler properly, it can handle hits to tranny around 10ft+. I have seen guys go bigger than this on a Heckler. It is a strong frame and can be hucked. It is not a full on freeride bike, which is not what this thread is about anyways.
    Last edited by ronny; 03-07-2006 at 05:15 PM. Reason: nada

...for I am a raindog too

don't discard the 7 pt. from iron horse

If you pose a question about the 7. over on the IH board-- i'm sure you will get some really good reviews. (of course they will all be biased) There is a lot of rave about the DW link-- the only downside to the bikes, by your criteria, might be the weight...
    good luck

The Sentinel

Are you at HAFB?

If so, I only live about 30 minutes north of you in Tremonton. I just built a Transition Preston FR, and you're welcome to take a look at it, if you're interested in the Preston. I have a brand spanking new 2005. The only problem might be how short I am...it's a size small frame. But if you're interested, let me know, and I'd be glad to let you check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by ecfiffer05
    DD13- You my firend are right. I am looking at roughly 6 inches of travel. I also would perfer to find something that I can test ride first. I have looked at the Versus and it looks very nice and I have read the reviews here on mtbr.com and everyone says it kicks butt. But like I said I would rather be able to ride the bke and say hells yeah to it rather then drop the coin and hate it, you know? Living here in Norther Utah gives me a good selection to pull from. I mean for more high-end bikes I have go-ride.com just 30ish min away and for the more come bigger bikes companies there are some good shops that are a touch closer (5-15 min away). So I have the shops that have the bikes, but they just dont have all of the ones that might be brought up here. But I have to thank every one thus far for their input-
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

Cheesiest

Venerable Bullit

The Heckler sounds like a great choice, but the bullit is great too. Especially if you want to be on the Freeride end of the spectrum. You could always upgrade to lighter parts when you have a little extra cash. PM the Bullit Guru (TNC), if you have any questions.

mtbr member
    You might want to consider a Coilair as well. They can be built in the mid-30s and are absolutely bombproof save for the really, really big stuff. Some pretty glowing reviews out there - check out the MBA review, I thought it was pretty thorough. The DHX 5.0 air shock has crap-tons of adjustability too. Sometimes I think bikes might be heading in this direction for everything except the huge hucks. MC has prototype slopestyle and DH bikes with air shocks, people ride air shocks for DS/DJ and bikercross - it seems like they can take a lot of abuse and they are a lot lighter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    i got a Yeti ASX, aswell as a Gemini 2000 (gemini actually bro's but he's out of town 8 months + out of yr and i use it sometimes lol), thier both great bikes, Yeti using the DHX 5.0 is great, pedals very very well and will handle some pretty hard abuse, the swinglink is *supposed* to stiffen up the rear end, i dunno if it actually does, but it feels very solid at speed / in the air nice stable bike.

The Gemini is if i'm not mistaken lighter by a *small* amt like 1 pound on the frame, last i checked is still using Manitou suspension, try to hook up with a 4-Way so it's alot easier to tune it in for FR / XC meh either bike will work great for ya though .

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    If you are looking at the Gemini, I would also take a look at the Prophet MX 2. I have owned the regular Prophet and a Gemini. The Gemini is pretty heavy duty, and for the type of riding you will be doing, the Prophet MX seems like a better fit. It is essentially the same a a Prophet, but it has a Thru-12 axle, reinforced headtube area, and chainguide mounts, so it is beefy, but still lighter than the Gemini. The parts spec is also better for all-mountain, with a Rock Shox Pike up front and a RS Pearl shock in the back, SRAM X9 drivetrain, Juicy 7 brakes, etc. 140mm travel front and back, and the geo is very good. And its right around your price range at $2600.

Your Local Computer Geek
    Mar 2006

Thanks!

Thanks to everyone who has voiced their opinions! I have a lot more to take into consideration now! Everyone has made very valid points. Thanks for your collective 2 cents!
    RaindogT- I will take a second look at the IH's
    mtnbiker62- I might be hitting you up on your offer. I could have sworn that tremonton was farther away then 30 min. My wife and I looked at renting a house up there when we got stationed here. You said that you are short- If you dont mind me asking how tall are you? I'm 5'9" and I consider my self kinda short too.
    AKRida- If I do go with a Gemini I might look at the 900 and upgrade down the road to the Swinger 4-way or 6-way.
    Colodude- I have ridden the Prophet before and I think it's a killer bike, but I have not seen the MX2 in person yet. That might be the best of all world for me.... Still want a test ride though-
    Thanks again to everyone!

The Sentinel
    mtnbiker62- I might be hitting you up on your offer. I could have sworn that tremonton was farther away then 30 min. My wife and I looked at renting a house up there when we got stationed here. You said that you are short- If you dont mind me asking how tall are you? I'm 5'9" and I consider my self kinda short too.
    Depending on the traffic, Tremonton is 30-40 minutes away from Hill. Quite a few people (civilian employees of HAFB) live up here and commute. I am 5'8" tall, and I have a very short inseam (29"). If you want to take a look at the bike, give me a shout. I come down to Ogden quite often, and when the trails melt out, it seems like I'm down there several times a month. I split my riding between Logan and Ogden, so we could go for a ride.
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

Your Local Computer Geek
    Mar 2006
    You know I am surprised that no one has said anything about the ruckus flowta. The way I see it is that its spec'ed hella good with SAINT goodies and a zoochi z150sl up front and the Foz shox in the back. It is also pretty lite compaired to the AS-X and the Gemini. Though the AS-X felt lite when I rode it. I guess the one thing I see as a possible negative for the Ruckus is that it is not adjustable in the back for travel. All be it a minor thing I can see where it would be nice to drop the travel on an up hill ride and change it out on the way back down. What are your thoughts on it?

ride hard take risks
    You know I am surprised that no one has said anything about the ruckus flowta. The way I see it is that its spec'ed hella good with SAINT goodies and a zoochi z150sl up front and the Foz shox in the back. It is also pretty lite compaired to the AS-X and the Gemini. Though the AS-X felt lite when I rode it. I guess the one thing I see as a possible negative for the Ruckus is that it is not adjustable in the back for travel. All be it a minor thing I can see where it would be nice to drop the travel on an up hill ride and change it out on the way back down. What are your thoughts on it?

The ASX is a awsome bike highly under rated. As for lower it going up & raise it going down, for the rear it's not worth it. It takes too much to so called just lower the linkage. The fork should be adjustable for climbing, the rear shock should have a Pro-Pedal of sorts to help the climbing abbilitys.

mtbr member
    Not sure where you live, but look at MIKES BIKES in Marin California, they had like a Switch with a breakout Plus and full saint for around that price. GOOD DEAL and yes brand new!!!!!!!!!
    http://mikesbikes.com/itemdetails.cf...ogId=39&id=835
    Yeah $2499 and FULL SAINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by ianjenn; 03-11-2006 at 11:07 PM.

Your Local Computer Geek
    Mar 2006
    thats a damn good deal, but i need something smaller then an 18 inch frame... got to love genetics.... i hate being short

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast