Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Racer

Light and Comfortable Full-Face Helmets

My old TLD d2 has cracks all in the foam and tld says its unsafe to ride so i'm looking for a new fullface. Not trying to spend $450 on a new troy lee. Why are some light, reasonably priced full face helmets?

perpetual pucker factor
    Of course, fit is the most important thing. It's gotta fit well, or it'll be a waste of money, but I'm sure you know that and will try on what you can find in your area. Also not sure of your exact budget, so I'll start with the cheapest. If they fit, 661 is pretty cheap and reasonably well built. I hear Giro is too, although past iterations of the Remedy seemed a little cheaply built for the price. The Fox Rampage is also a good choice. My personal pick would be the POC Cortex Flow though. If $220 fits your budget, it's hard to beat. I got its big brother, the Cortex DH, a few weeks ago, and it's fantastic. I loved my D2, but I prefer the POC without question. The Cortex Flow is their non-carbon model. It's almost 40% below the price of current D3 models, and is as protective (or arguable more so) as any other DH helmet out there. It's about 20% lighter than the non-carbon D3 as well, and you can REALLY feel it after a few hours of riding. I really like the minimalist look of it too. Excellent helmet. Worth every penny.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

Off the back...
    I find the Kali helmets to be very comfortable, and the carbon Avatar is one of the lightest full face helmets out there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Find a TLD on sale. After trying a bunch of different ones, I don't think I will ride anything else....

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    They are pricey, but the D3s are amazing helmets. Even the D2s are nice and both can be found on sale. Last year's models can easily be found for 50%+ off.

mtbr member
    I got a new TLD Carbon and LOVE it, nothing like it.

Racer
    I used to run the M-L D2 which is for 56-59 cm heads. Now there sizing has changed and i'm not sure what size i would be. what is troy lee's return policy? I don't have anywhere around here to try one on.

mtbr member

Re: Light and Comfortable Full-Face Helmets

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I would say the D3 is my favorite helmet hands down. It is pricey but you can usually find them around 30% off for older models. I currently have a Fox Rampage Pro Carbon and it is nice but the D3 has it beat (the rampage breathes a bit better). The quality of the D3 is great and the comfort is there, but it also depends on your head shape.
    For light and reasonably priced the Demon Podium full face is pretty good. My wife wears that one and it is crazy light and around $80. I think Demon, 661 and a couple others use the same helmet and rebranded it so there may be a better deal out there. I think I saw somewhere that the helmet weighed around 950 grams.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    +1 on the Kali Carbon. It's light and very comfortable. I got mine on Amazon for $339

Racer
    looks like troy lee is having a sale on some of their new d3's.....$350....might have to put it on the credit card

mtbr member
    I found a coupon code when I got My D3 Carbon to drop $100+ bucks off the $450 price to $300ish.

mtbr member

Re: Light and Comfortable Full-Face Helmets

These look slick too, in carbon.

Racer
    where did you find the coupon?

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by metalMTB View Post
    looks like troy lee is having a sale on some of their new d3's.....$350....might have to put it on the credit card
    Smart move. After riding for a while with a cracked up helmet, you might want to spend that money on a neurologist visit instead!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    like charging rhino said, fit is the most important thing, and thats a very personal thing. we all have differant sized and shaped heads. so whats great for one wont always be the best for another. thats why trying before you buy is always the best option,,,
    my self currently running a fox v3 carbon, fantastic fit, mega comfortable and light. i wanted a d3 but they didnt fit the shape of my head. my old helmet was a 661 evolution carbon, that to was a nice fit, but didnt feel as good quality as the fox. though to be fair the 661 only cost me 100 quid, where as the fox is almost 300,
    my brother has a fox carbon v3 as well, he used to have a the one carbon, and liked it.
    i also tried and almost bought a kali, they are very light for the money.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Just want to add, i found Full Motocross helmets much more safer than some light DH helmets etc... I do not understand all light DH helmet thing? It is downhill, not XC. You do not climb, just go down and that's it. If you do climb, than it is okay to have light/cool helmet.

If you ride pure DH then just go straight for Full Motocross helmet. Safe, cheap, heavy, hot. Friend of mine fell with some TLD lightish DH helmet and split it in half. Not only it didn't do it's job well, but he had more injures from helmet snapping than protection. Since then he accepted my advice and went with Motocross helmets.

It's just my opinion and experience, no need to rage.

Perpetual Hack
    ...and there is some evidence that a heavier DOT / Snell MX helmet is too much helmet for DH.
    Moto speeds tend to be higher and therefore the foam is stiffer - this can be a detriment for slower lower energy impacts.
    As well the higher weight and larger size has also been implicated in more serious neck and brain injuries - think wiplash or rotational force transmission from impact.
    It is not as simple as it seems at first glance.

...and while fit is paramount - at the moment my vote goes to the D3 as it does fit me very well. Best fitting full face I have had to date.
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    The biggest factor of all: No risk of a 400 pound motorbike landing on your head (or several in a pile up).

Also:
    A D3 helmet bike rider isn't likely to go 40-60mph like a motocross helmet rider.

Adequately Safe Bicycle Helmets can be made light (expensively) for those of us who keep it under 40mph on a 30 pound bicyle.

mtbr member
    Good advice that helmets need to be matched to the duty.
    Serious fast or risky DH runs may justify a MX Helmet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    True, true. But really i was talking about heavy DH riding. If you are doing some serious drops with MX helmet you tend to smack head against your handle bars. Or so happens to me.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Wouldn't a proper neck brace prevent your helmet from hitting the bars on huge drops?

How big of drop does it take to do that?
    A heavier helmet would make this more likely?

I honestly have never seen or heard of it happening to other people on bicycles quite like you make it sound.

But ya, in moto anything can happen.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I use full MX helmet. I abuse my trail bike on DH/FR. On the front i have 130mm Recon. Don't have a neck brace. With all combined, i often whack my head into bars. I do not see how neck brace would help. My bike isn't made for what i use it, so the force from impact on drops is too big for bike to handle, and too big for my body to handle. So i often end up whacking into bike and flying over. Like compressing force, and then it just bounces me off.

Yeah, i'm saving money for something better.

P.S On Urban DH anything over 6 feet is devastating, on ground i can handle twice as that.

mtbr member
    No wonder bro.
    You need to respect safe limits; you risk serious whiplash or other neck disc injury with what you're doing.

Wait and get a bigger suspension bike for big drops so you are not thrown off the bike or being smashed into the bike.

A heavy helmet will make it more difficult to stop the momentum of your head going out of control, so you don't need a heavy helmet.
    What you need to ride the correct trails for your bike.

Yes a neck brace helps significantly protect your neck when you can't stop your momentum from smashing your helmet into anything.
    Neck Brace will also prevent your neck being crushed downward from a heavy helmet weighing down your head/neck on drops of any size over a few feet.
    You may not feel it but if you use a heavier MX bike helmet without a neck brace then I guarantee you’re jacking up your neck disks on drops and it's only a matter of time until you feel it as it adds up with age.

I recommend getting a good Bicycle FF Helmet that matches a good Bicycle Neck Brace from Alpine Star similar for drops and jumps of 6-20 feet.

If you go for world record 20-50 foot jumps and drops THEN THIS is the time for decent Moto equipment.

Leatt DBX Ride 4 Neck Brace

Look at this product, it has a travel limiting brace on the front and back to prevent your head diving too far forward or backwards.

Some neck braces are only made with a rear limiter, but a front limiter is important for larger drops where momentum is high and risk increases.

=======

Here's a nice alternative you'all may buy into faster for bicycle riders:
    Neck Roll / Collar, takes the weight of the helmet off your neck.
    The Rolls usually work easier because collars usually mount to only a specific chest protector.

Roll:
    Alpinestars Neck Roll - Motorcycle Superstore

Collar:
    EVS R3 Race Collar - Motorcycle Superstore

Professional Troll
    Those collars do absolutely NOTHING except inspire false confidence. Anyone who wears one, or recommends one, should not have the opinion trusted on anything relating to bikes or safety equipment. Very very dangerous advice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast