Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Leatt brace - really worth it?

I have been considering a Leatt brace and doing some research between the EVS and Leatt neck braces. Can anyone empirically say they are worth it?

Also, do these number actually say anything to anyone? How do you decode these graphs? How many Nm or G's does it take to break a neck?

Glad to Be Alive
    who cares bout graphs......I am getting one.....because

1) I like to walk
    2) I like to surf
    3) I like to bike
    4) I like to eat
    5) I like to have sex
    6) I like racing Go-Karts
    7) I like to swim

and one fvck up can take that all away
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

mtbr member
    Mountain biking is risky regardless of what kind you do. You roll the dice regardless. All personal choice.
    But even a lousy downhill run is better than a day in the office!
    "SunnyRaceGirl"

www.specialized.com

mtbr member
    SMT pretty much summed it up
    IMO the cost is worth it, when i start racing DH, first thing ill be investing in is one of these
    $700 is better than being a vegetable for the rest of your life
    I know this first hand
    My cousin crashed his motorbike when he was 16
    hes now paralysed for the rest of his life

mtbr member
    I don't think "worth" is the appropriate word of choice. I think it's in a sense like a full face helmet. You hope you never need it, but if you have it, you can have a moment when you say "It could have been worse". I used my helmet before to stop head injuries, but the face mask hasn't done much yet. Hopefully it won't have to, but it will be there. ttyl, Fahn

DH Racing= $$$
    May 2007
    I got mine last April and haven't ridden since without it. It seems to be catching on at the local mountain and I would kill myself knowing that if I broke my neck and something was on the market to help prevent it in the first place.
    RockyMountainBikes/ KendaTires/ TroyLeeDesigns

RIDE4FUN
    My friend watched a kid he was riding moto with break his back, paralyzed waste down for life. Got him to buy one for moto pretty quickly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Is insurance worth it? Not until it's too late....

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I agree it's pretty pricey but all it takes is just one time. Will the EVO neck brace be a cheaper alternative though?
    http://www.evs-sports.com/

mtbr member
    Worth it? Absolutely

I broke my back a few years ago and was lucky enough to escape with no long-term detrimental effects, but I was millimeters away from not being so lucky.
    I recently bought a Leatt brace for the small amount of DHing I do (and use it whenever I'm wearing a full face), and I can't imagine riding without it.
    Can you think of how you'd feel if you fell, broke your neck, and knew you could've prevented it?

Also, regarding the EVO. It's been discussed on many forums, but the lack of adjustability is prohibitive. You need the Leatt Club or Sport models to be able to drop the rear padding down so that you can look far enough ahead on steep DH courses.

mtbr member
    Yes...it is worth it. If you get one...wear it even on the "easier" trails...stuff happens!

Addicted
    May 2006
    I bought one. I love it. It was $450 including tax from a local moto shop.
    Last september I crashed on a jump I've done a million times. I knocked myself out, obviously gained a concussion, shattered my 661 Evolution helmet, kinked my spine, sprained my cervical spine, and tore muscles through-out my neck.

It took nearly a month before my eyes would focus properly and to stop having black outs.
    My balance was pretty messed up too. I spent a few hours in the ER on that one and even with AWESOME health insurance my co-pay was about $500. I figured I got off lucky. If I were my Leatt and prevent any neck injury, I may still end up in a hospital but it's far less likely that I will be leaving in a $10-30,000 wheelchair.

-Kevin

mtbr member
    As for money, we spend a load on bikes and lift-tickets anyway, so the price is not an argument in my opinion.

As for the hassle of wearing one? I got mine on friday and have only used it one day, but I can allready say that I can't really notice it. I haven't adjusted it all the way to the back yet and I only noticed it when I crouched down and looked far ahead. And it was not annoying or affecting my ability to look far enough ahead. I just noticed it being there.

My coclusion, your neck is worth it!

3 "fiddy" for short
    I bought one last spring and it believe it saved me last fall. The short version of the story is that I really screwed up a stepup and ended up highsiding backwards over a 4 foot drop coming to rest 20-30 feet from where I first hit. I too was out cold for a few seconds. I walked away with some scuffs and cuts, but I was WALKING! I honestly think things could have been worse if I wasnt using the brace.

So, my verdict: WORTH IT!!!!

Dr Phil mmkay

Yes.

Yes it's worth it. $355 (one of the few products I bought at retail price). Paid for it in full this past weekend during my first trip to Diablo. I dove off the Phantom drop and landed on my head. Walked away with just superficial scrapes.

Capricious youth...
    I actually wore mine when my buddy took me out to ride Moto for the first time. HELLZA sketchy going from 4 years of DH/FR and then getting on a Moto-X bike for the first time. I wrecked 10 minutes into riding on my buddy's 250cc 2-stroke, took out a fence post, and hit my head/neck on the ground pretty hard. Walked away with a few bumps and bruises, and a really sore neck and shoulders, but no major harm done. The Leatt works.

Pictures to prove what it can do:

Meh.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettym1k3

Pictures to prove what it can do:

a picture is worth a thousand words...

I wasn't skeptical but it wasn't top of my list of things to spend my cash on. Years of playing rugby in the front row have left me with very strong neck muscles. The rugby and all the othe sports have also taught me to fall pretty well, I've never come down on my head. Last time out on my DH bike, though, i was getting too confident and hit a small step up too quickly for my skills and landed too far into a corner, highsided over the top of the berm and came down on my head and my shoulder. Helmet and armour took the force out of it but it's left me thinking that I was lucky and it's time to get a brace (and a new helmet - MX this time though!).

Prettym1k3, probably the most wortwhile set of photos posted on this site!

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    I just bought one for moto a few weeks ago and now I won't ride without it. I haven't tried it biking yet but we'll see. Maybe for N*.

Capricious youth...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Orange Prophet
    Prettym1k3, probably the most wortwhile set of photos posted on this site!
    I just knew the second that I put mine on that it would be a good investment. Most of the parts are replaceable, and I opted for the Club brace that is highly adjustable. I took the time to size it up on my body just right. My wife, my life, and my family are too important to me to take chances. When I mentioned the brace to my wife, she immediately told me to go out and buy one knowing I'd be spending countless days at Northstar this season, as well as racing all spring/summer.

The pictures help because most people don't understand how far a neck can bend on it's own, not to mention how far a neck can bend when under the pressure your own body (and bike) weight, crashing down on top of you, at 20-40mph.

Obviously, the photos on the left show far how I can move my neck under my own power and flexibility. But in a wreck, my neck will flex much, much further. The photos on the right are how far my neck will flex - PERIOD. I also tried grabbing the helmet and pushing it further to the left, right, as well as forward and backward. What you see in the photos on the right is the absolutely limit of how far your neck can move.

Yes, some people say this brace is more likely to brake your collarbone, but I'll tell you what. I'll take a broken collarbone (isn't that the most easily fixed bone in the body?) over a broken neck or back any day.
    Meh.

mtbr member
    100% worth every penny.

Being alive and walking is pretty rad.

Its got what plants crave
    Even if the Leatt moves the break further down your spine it's worth it. I'd rather be paralyzed from the waist down than from the next down! Better to be a para than a quadra!

Bum Buzzer
    Im increasingly convinced.(?)

I already look 'funny' do to the enormity of the XXXL helmet I need to wear as nothng else fits -- uyes I have a biig head, but this thing is so exagerated.... point is, looking funny is OK versus not walking etc... (I have broken my neck 2x, 1 car wreck, 1 freeride wreck. - and somehow ok (opinion?))

My worry is Im very tall, thin and long neck (giraffe? not!) and concerned on how to make this thing fit well, or at all. With the big and high sitting helmet, there is a great distance between bottom of helmet and shoulders. Im wondering if that will be any issue - or of the design can accommodate me.

Now remember, what many people consider XL, is WAY too small for me - 6'2" 200 is L, not XL... (for example...) me - 6'7" 250.

Help? Encourage me! Ill drop the 700!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck Banzai
    Im increasingly convinced.(?)

I already look 'funny' do to the enormity of the XXXL helmet I need to wear as nothng else fits -- uyes I have a biig head, but this thing is so exagerated.... point is, looking funny is OK versus not walking etc... (I have broken my neck 2x, 1 car wreck, 1 freeride wreck. - and somehow ok (opinion?))

My worry is Im very tall, thin and long neck (giraffe? not!) and concerned on how to make this thing fit well, or at all. With the big and high sitting helmet, there is a great distance between bottom of helmet and shoulders. Im wondering if that will be any issue - or of the design can accommodate me.

Now remember, what many people consider XL, is WAY too small for me - 6'2" 200 is L, not XL... (for example...) me - 6'7" 250.

Help? Encourage me! Ill drop the 700!
    they can custom fit it for you......
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i had no idea lebron james was into DH. Good luck against the Magic, Bron!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast