mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Leather Saddles for Freeride bikes

I just bought my first freerdie bike Faith 0 and want to use a leather saddle. I live southern california so moisture isn't a problem.

I'm a beginer,as far as freeriding is concerned ,so I probably won't be catching serious air. Will a leather saddle survive on a freeride bike or will it be destroyed even under "normal" freeride use?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Im not sure I get what you mean...What else would you buy , a seat made out of plastic? There's been a couple of them made, not sure if anyone still makes a saddle made out of anything else but leather.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    most saddles are not made of leather.

Very few are.

And putting one of them on a FR bike would be silly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by William42
    most saddles are not made of leather.

Very few are.

And putting one of them on a FR bike would be silly.
    I think that most qaulity saddles are made out of leather. My WTB Silverado is and has held up really great on my Dh bike. SDG, WTB, Selle Italia, Fizik all make great leather saddles as do many other companies.
    Why would it be silly?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I don't know, I guess I just have an image of most saddles using synthetic covers - I guess I just had an image of a brooks saddle. I stand corrected - there are some saddles that do. It looks like one of the silverado line does, the devo's do, and I'm sure others.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    guess I just had an image of a brooks saddle.

Actually that's pretty close what I want to use! I was wondering if it's madness to use a Brooks Type saddle on a freeride bike? I have leather saddles (similar to Brooks) on some of my other bikes and also use softer Persons type leather saddles as well.

At least for cross country these saddles are far more comfortable than the synthetitic saddles that most bikes us. Of course there is a weight penalty a spring type leather saddle on a hardtail adds nearly two pounds to a bikes weight.

This is what I am thinking of getting:

http://www.crowcycleco.com/bicycle-c...e-560-010.html

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I've got a Wrights that sometimes goes on a Nomad for long trail rides.
    It's super comfortable, and looks cool.
    But, the edges are a lot sharper and there's no padding.
    The saddle in your link looks like the tail of the saddle is pretty wide, will you be able to get behind and then back over it without getting hung up?

If this is for a shuttle/ lift bike that will see minimal pedaling, then I don't think it's worth it as you hardly ever be in the saddle and won't need the comfort.

You're not mad, but there are issues to be aware of.
    I say go for it, what's the worst that can happen?

mtbr member
    Leather or Pleather?

nothing's bomb proof and there's no way to predict how/what's gonna happen if/when you crash.

l had a brand new saddle l got from TBC... crashed assoverteakettle 30 minutes into a ride, lost a huge chunk of the saddle due to the crash. then l have had other saddles for years, never got so much as a scuff
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

2010 Glory custom FR
    There nothing wrong with leather saddles for FR or DH. Just make sure it has some kevlar protection on the nose and tail.
    As leather saddles are rather mid/high-end products, they will also be lighter, will have titanium, carbon or manganese rails... and high price
    Silverados are really nice.
    I've been using Tioga MC Lite 2010 for entire season. I am really satisfied with it. Light and cheap
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Odd, brooks stuff is extremely hard and quite heavy.... Why would you want that on your bike?
    About buying a bike:
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    It's like finding a wife. Personality is important, but you gotta look at that face every morning.

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellav8ted

If this is for a shuttle/ lift bike that will see minimal pedaling, then I don't think it's worth it as you hardly ever be in the saddle and won't need the comfort.
    this. there will never be a reason to use a 500+g saddle on anything but a vintage bike or a cruiser.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarashi
    Odd, brooks stuff is extremely hard and quite heavy.... Why would you want that on your bike?
    It is counter intuitive, but Brooks types saddles are really comfortable for long pedals.
    I never would have tried one, but I broke my regular WTB saddle, and was lent the Wrights for a ride. It was already 20 years old (owner had it on a home made touring bike he'd ridden from Seattle to San Diego) and 'molded' to someone else's ass, but felt instantly comfortable to me.
    We rode Wagner Butte in southern Oregon, which is a 6 or 7 mile climb gaining around 4,000 ft, descends around 3500 ft, the climbs back up 3,000 feet, to a 2 mile traverse, then a final (Chuck's Chips, maybe my favorite trail anywhere) 4,000 or so foot descent.
    I liked the saddle so much, I offered to buy it, and my friend, being awesome, straight gave it to me.

For long distance in the saddle, I would recommend people give it a try.

usually cranky
    sythetic saddles are cheaper and for a saddle that will see little butt time do you really need leather?

Ride, Jump, Pray, Land
    Dude. Put whatever saddle you want on your bike. A leather one will be heavier but, You buy what you want. Don't let anyone tell you it's stupid or pointless. IT AIN'T THEIR BIKE!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by siyross View Post
    Dude. Put whatever saddle you want on your bike. A leather one will be heavier but, You buy what you want. Don't let anyone tell you it's stupid or pointless. IT AIN'T THEIR BIKE!
    Thats right . The one in the op's like is actually kinda cool looking ... if i had the money id put the 250$ brooks on my rig.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I would check out a BMX style pivotal or the I beam SDG type rail system with a solid plastic seat if you are truly concerned about out right durability. neither have rails to bend. Yes they will break but it takes far more abuse than I have ever seen another seat take. If you want some "grip" you can get little rubber knobs like some WC team bikes have to aid that.

Also, the weight of my pivotal seat post, ti bolt and padded bmx seat on my DH bike cost me a grand total of 80 dollars and to be competitive weight wise with I beam I would be around 250. Its not for everyone but it is a very clean set up in my opinion, not a ton of adjustment but very simple and has with stood 3 years of of DH use. Its not "comfy" per say but its not really there for sitting.
    Want a one of a kind bike? Message me for a one of a kind paint job.

The internet is a tough place to ride