mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Last year Fox 40 had adjustable travel? Does it still?

Looking at building up a TR250 and remember seeing the 40 had adjustable travel. I was wondering what the last year it had this or if it still does. Also, did it use spacers or what? If I could lower the travel i think it'd be real fun on the 250. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I don't think the 40 was ever adjustable travel, or any coil for that matter unless you cut the spring or have a travel adjust system like the coil u turn.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    yeah they are...if you are refereeing to the current crop of 40's . . . the new 2013 RAD might not be easy to adjust travel with its air spring

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    tuumbaq, are you saying they do have adjustable travel? I read somethin about it using spacers to limit travel but I was more interested in being able to actually lower the fork some.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    At full travel there are spacers in the spring side. Removing spacers lowers the travel. You can reduce it at least to 180, and you might be able to go to 160. I'm not sure, I always have put the spacers back in after servicing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yes they are adjustable, all they way down to 6.5". There website has the instructions on how to rearrange or remove the spacers. Seems fairly easy to do. I'm thinking about changing the travel myself just haven't done it. When I service my fork I might do it then.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I can get mine down to 6". As stated, you remove 1 travel spacer and transfer the spacer to the plunger shaft. 4 spacers under the top cap provides full travel, whereas 4 spacers on the plunger shaft will give you 6" . Transferring 1 travel spacer equates to half inch of travel. I think around from 2009 and on, Fox went with 3 travel spacers for the 40.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SV11 View Post
    I can get mine down to 6". As stated, you remove 1 travel spacer and transfer the spacer to the plunger shaft. 4 spacers under the top cap provides full travel, whereas 4 spacers on the plunger shaft will give you 6" . Transferring 1 travel spacer equates to half inch of travel. I think around from 2009 and on, Fox went with 3 travel spacers for the 40.
    I have never messed with mine yet. It sounds like you have. You noticed a lower crown to axel height?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    I have never messed with mine yet. It sounds like you have. You noticed a lower crown to axel height?
    I haven't messed with mine, haven't had the need to. But, the A2C will change when you mess with the travel, if you go down in travel 1" the A2C will go down by the same amount.

Eg. Fox 40 180: 545.8mm, Fox 40 203: 571.2mm

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    What's the point of this, just adjust the geo?
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You'll love the bike! I'm running a 36 Van 180mm though, and I'm loving it! I'd recommend you to test it first if you have the possibility. Stiff and you'll save like 300 grams too!
    2011 Custom Transition TR250