Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    38

    Kona Stinky Six or Norco Shore Three?

    Looking for FR/DH bike, my budget is $2100. What bike do you guys think is better between these two? And is there better options in my price range?

    http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=stinky6
    http://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/shore/shore-three/

    Thanks,
    Alex

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yakmastermax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    238
    the kona is more aestheticaly pleasing, to me - both seem similarly equiped -

    only real difference would be the suspension

    this is a stretch, but personaly i've heard more good things about kona's 4 bar linkage than the norco's single pivot.
    Out, out, brief candle!
    Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NorcoRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    266
    I would personally go for the Norco just because of the FSR suspension, i'm honestly not a huge fan of either though. If you were interested I would check out some used bikes there's lots out there that are barely ridden and for the same price you can get an awesome spec'd bike. I have a sweet ride for sale if you're interested pm me.

    Some new ones that are good options as well

    http://www.specialized.com/ca/en/bc/...enuItemId=9451

    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-CA/...x2/5422/37902/

    This one's closer to 3000 but a nice ride for sure http://www.santacruzmtb.com/bullit/index.php?builder=1

    http://www.mongoose.com/usa/eng/mtn/...nR-(apprentice)
    Last edited by NorcoRider; 02-28-2010 at 07:35 PM.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NorcoRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by yakmastermax
    the kona is more aestheticaly pleasing, to me - both seem similarly equiped -

    only real difference would be the suspension

    this is a stretch, but personaly i've heard more good things about kona's 4 bar linkage than the norco's single pivot.
    Norco's don't have single pivots either man, they use a Horst Link.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SlickShoe671's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    198
    Kona's are single pivots.

    Either way I almost scored a Stinky 6 to use as a light freeride bike and also to give my Demo 8 a break once and awhile. I wanted something lighter that also pedaled better. Well the shop weighed the 6 and it was 39 lbs. Only 1 lbs lighter then my Demo. FT! Now im looking into the Scott Voltage FR.

    I dont know anything about the Norco.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    188
    ok heres my 2 cents.

    People are always going to bash both, who really cares though.

    I ride Konas so naturally I would suggest the stinky

    but

    in the end what will you be happier riding for s few years?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by NorcoRider
    I would personally go for the Norco just because of the FSR suspension, i'm honestly not a huge fan of either though. If you were interested I would check out some used bikes there's lots out there that are barely ridden and for the same price you can get an awesome spec'd bike. I have a sweet ride for sale if you're interested pm me.

    Some new ones that are good options as well

    http://www.specialized.com/ca/en/bc/...enuItemId=9451

    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-CA/...x2/5422/37902/

    This one's closer to 3000 but a nice ride for sure http://www.santacruzmtb.com/bullit/index.php?builder=1

    http://www.mongoose.com/usa/eng/mtn/...nR-(apprentice)
    What makes that Giant better (worth the extra $300)? The suspension is the same, the components look very similar. I would love to buy that specialized but Canadian prices are about $600 more than what the US price is posted on their website.

  8. #8
    maker of trail
    Reputation: essenmeinstuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,008
    see if you can swing picking up the 09 model, much better equipped and only a few bills more.

    http://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/...9-shore-three/

  9. #9
    maker of trail
    Reputation: essenmeinstuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,008
    Quote Originally Posted by OntarioBiker28
    What makes that Giant better (worth the extra $300)? The suspension is the same, the components look very similar. I would love to buy that specialized but Canadian prices are about $600 more than what the US price is posted on their website.
    The suspension is only similar in that the wheel moves up and down with bumps

    Maestro (giant, vpp like short link 4 bar) vs FSR (spec/norco horst link) vs single pivot (kona et all)

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by essenmeinstuff
    The suspension is only similar in that the wheel moves up and down with bumps

    Maestro (giant, vpp like short link 4 bar) vs FSR (spec/norco horst link) vs single pivot (kona et all)
    What one do you consider better? I'm really considering buying the Norco, but with the way the frame is designed would I be able to put the seat all the way down? And having that hole there does that decrease frame strength?

  11. #11
    maker of trail
    Reputation: essenmeinstuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,008
    each have their fan bois

    A lot is down to preference.

    Personally I like not having my rear end skip about under braking, so unless the single pivot has a floating brake, I'd rather not own one.

    maestro vs FSR? do you prefer six or a half dozen? If you're good enough to tell the difference you probably don't need to ask here for the answer.

    The split seat tube is the reason I don't like a lot of norcos. you don't get the adjustment range out of it, ie can't have a full length post to ride "xc" then slam it for DH, you have to be careful other wise it will hit the shock (bad).

    I would not worry about the strength, they are plenty strong.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by essenmeinstuff
    each have their fan bois

    A lot is down to preference.

    Personally I like not having my rear end skip about under braking, so unless the single pivot has a floating brake, I'd rather not own one.

    maestro vs FSR? do you prefer six or a half dozen? If you're good enough to tell the difference you probably don't need to ask here for the answer.

    The split seat tube is the reason I don't like a lot of norcos. you don't get the adjustment range out of it, ie can't have a full length post to ride "xc" then slam it for DH, you have to be careful other wise it will hit the shock (bad).

    I would not worry about the strength, they are plenty strong.
    So with that Norco, I would have to keep the seat post above that hole? Which means I wouldn't be able to have the seat all the way down, I would pretty much have to keep it where it's shown in the picture. That's disapointing....

  13. #13
    maker of trail
    Reputation: essenmeinstuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,008
    it can stick out some, you just have to be careful it doesn't hit the shock when the shock is compressed, my buddies shore he leaves about 1/2-3/4 in space, basically you have maybe 3-4in adjustment range.

    You can cut the post so that teh adjustment range suits your size and preference.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    38
    I would constanly be worry on big drops that I'm going to drive the seat post into the rear shock. So you would have to leave 1/2" - 3/4" of space between the bottom of your seat post and the rear shock to ensure that you don't hit it? What do you think about the Specialized Big Hit FSR 1? I like the look of the frame design, I would have to call my local bike dealer and see what the price is... it doesn't show Canadian prices on their website.

    My top three right now (in no praticular order):
    Giant Reign X2 (don't like the higher price for basically the same components on the Norco, but do like the frame design better)
    Specialized Big Hit FSR 1 (Like the frame design, components seem good, looks awesome)
    Norco Shore Three (Like the price, components, frame design worries me)

    What do you think out of those three options? The most I can spend is $2500 Canadian before tax.

  15. #15
    Its got what plants crave
    Reputation: Jim311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,936
    Stinky.... it's a freeride OG. Four bar might not be glamorous but IMO it rides pretty damn well.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

  16. #16
    Kona Rules!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6
    Go with the stinky six for sure, I rented one yesterday and they are amazing. I did a 6 + foot kicker and landed on almost flat ground and it was fine

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: schneidie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    549
    Stinky six, because 6 is bigger than three.

    Really, both bikes are fine. I'd go kona because of the full length seat tube. Helps to be able to jack the seat up for climbs.
    Build.
    Ride.
    Repeat.

  18. #18
    Kona Rules!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6
    I have heard about alot of norco recalls tho

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    543
    nvm just noticed this thread is months old

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •