mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Kona Howler or Cowan DS opinions.

I ride a single speed hardtail, and unless anyone can provide good reason why not to run single speed for freeride, im looking at the cowan DS. Local LBS also has a 2006 howler I could pick up for cheap.

Thoughts on SS or Konas?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    My take on single speeds.
    I have to pedal uphill while FR and the ability to is severely limited with a single speed.
    I have to pedal down a hill to get enough speed to send a gap or double. Once again a single speed severely limits your options here.
    I think that a single speed is too restrictive for FR. Single speeds are good for dirt jumping but not my cup of tea for free riding.

Kona - no experience.

Im a Cowboy
    I suppose it depends on your personal definition of "freeride", but I have to agree with Gabs,
    one of the benefits of the suspension bikes you mention over a hardtail is the ability to go fast in the gnar, you cant really gear it to exploit this advantage and still be able to climb with just one gear...so imo it becomes pointless
    DON'T TELL ME I'M STILL ON THAT FECKIN' ISLAND! ....

Meh.
    Depends on your definition of freeride. They're more slopestyle-ish/dirtjump/slalom machines. But I guess you could use it as a short travel freeride rig.

You can't run SS on the Howler without a spring loaded tensioner.

Kona is a solid company.

Slopestyle Rider
    You can do plenty of "freeride" on a Cowan/Howler. You can also roll SS no prob for freeride. I think I saw about 10 guys on Cowan DS bikes at Crankworx Colorado doing the 20' rock drop and the 25' doubles on those bikes an not one of them was running gears.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    It comes down to preference. If your digging SS then stay with it. Persnally I'm a fan of gears, so I'll stick with those.