mtbr member
    May 2008

Kona Coilair magic link or Giant Reign x

Im looking in to getting a new bike, and the kona coilair with magic link and giant reign x2 (maybe x1 if i can pull some money together) are really my only options considering my local shops. Ive been biking for about 1 year now, im 16, and weigh about 115lbs. Il be doing about 45% trails/agressive trails, 45% freeriding at a bike park and shuttle run and about 10% dh.
    I know that the magic link works, but how does the actual coilair ride?
    thanks for any help

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Have you ridden a magic link yet? I haven't heard or read one persons impressions of it yet and to be honest, the technology is confusing to me. I understand it's traits and features, but it seems to me like it would ride really strange.

I've ridden a Reign X and for the type of riding you described; it's a no-brainer. It's proven itself as probably the most versatile bike on the market for the use you're looking for. The Kona is a new technology and to me seems un-proven. Wait a year or so if you really want one so the kinks can get worked out.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

hmmmm
    i rode one at an LBS and the ML worked really well. couldnt even really notice the changes. friend actually demo'd one for a couple days when he was looking into new bikes and said that it was a really nice feature for climbing and then being able to bomb down the rough stuff. though he did say it didnt seem like it could take full on DH or freeride. it was a nice trail bike

mtbr member
    For the last time Reign X All the WAyyyyy!!!!!
    DH:Mountain Cycle Shockwave 9.5 w/ 888R
    FR:Marin Quake w/ 888RC
    AM:BMC Superstroke 01 w/ 66RC2X

mtbr member
    May 2008
    thanks for the responses
    i plan on going to test ride the giant this weekend, and ill probably have to go with the x2 considering my budget.

mtbr member
    I have a Reign X and absolutly love it. I ride the exact same conditions you do. That being said, the magic link looks really interesting. I'll definitely look into it for my next bike. I'm really surprised by the lack of ride reviews so far.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    i know, there is next to no info about the coilair out besides how to magic link actually works and what it does.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by nickgto
    Ha, the last time? That's funny.

Amazing how many threads pop up about "which bike" that describe the Reign X perfectly.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    yeah im confused with it too. it says it is to adapt the bike to climbing or downhill riding automatically. i dont have any experience with it but it kinda seems like they are fixing a problem that doesnt exist. it would be great for a bike to climb and descend well but sometimes simpler is better. but i really dont know how it is. it may be amazing
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.-Ferris Bueller

mtbr member
    Don't hate cause Reign X is popular choice.. and thanks for the qoute

Still a child inside...
    I was amazed the 0 bobbing on the reign.
    Test-rided an '07 coilair, and it was a pig....

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

New question here. hmmmmm

why?

banned
    I have been disappointed with the lack of feedback about the Magic Link. On top of that Maestro is a suspension system that works VERY WELL and is among the top in the game.

Now what I want to know with the magic link is how it works and where the shortcomings are? I can believe it would be biased towards climbing or smooth pedaling because when you head down, the leverage ratio increases greatly. How would the shock be able to be valved to accomodate such a wide range, going from mid-2 to mid 3's in the leverage? Most linkages vary to some extent, but not this huge amount, then on top of that, shocks really aren't valved to handle more than about 3-1. That would make me worried about big bottom outs, or just simply inconsistent handling traits depending on where the linkage lies.

I want to hear more. Additionally, there was one thread where observed was flex in that system about the main pivot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    well, I would get a reign x. Its more active, both in pedaling and braking. The coilair has some really cool ideas and features, and deserves way more credit then the people here are giving it. (funny, i work at a giant shop, and the other local "mtb" shop carries kona. I wonder if we've met?). My best friend has a coilair. As far as the valving works, its pretty easy. Its really set up for a 3 to 1 leverage ratio (or whater, I think the stroke length is 2.5 and its got 7.4 inches of travel). It always "has" 7.4 inches of travel - basically, the way the link works is that if it were fused and couldn't move, there would be 6 inches of travel. But as the suspension moves into the travel, it gets forced further and further back and you can access all the travel. It gives a feeling of platform to the ride that doesn't feel quite so overdamped as just cranking on the propedal It rides better then any kona i've ever ridden, and its quite stiff.

Its a pretty cool idea, and it makes the bike pedal alot better, have better geo for trail riding, and then once you start smacking into things it'll move into the rest of its travel.

At the end of the day though, Its still maintaining its pedal "prowess" by utilizing high compression damping (even if through the link) and giving you that overdamped feeling you get from so many single pivots (its not as bad as many others though). I like my suspension to move up and over stuff under breaking, and to be able to move up and over stuff if i'm pedaling. If i'm pedaling up a smooth flat paved road, I don't want it to move, but on a trail with rocks, I want my suspension to move up and down. While the kona rides much better then its counterparts, (call me biased, but after riding them I don't think you'll disagree) it still isn't as good as the reign x is at maintaining traction.

Also, I like to plow and charge through stuff and even having almost an inch less travel, the reign x has been better.

Both of them are really fun bikes, and you honestly can't go wrong with either of them. You'll have to play with the settings on the coilair a little more, but once you get them dialed its butter, and you'll love it. Likewise, once you ride the reign for a bit you'll love that too. Good picks, you'll like whatever you get!

mtbr member

Its got what plants crave
    I want to ride a magic link Coilair. Maybe when Wheelworld blows them out on closeout next year.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    thanks for the help
    ive looked into it a fair bit, and all of the reviews ive seen say that the magic link works and is a good feature. it seems like the giant will be a better "bike" though (as in ride better, handling, smoother, maybe lighter?).
    i may get a chance to try them both this weekend so ill let you know what i think.

mtbr member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by GiantCHaDSTeR
    Don't hate cause Reign X is popular choice.. and thanks for the qoute
    I'm not hattin, as a matter of fact I'm recommending it by using your fabulous quote!!!

For the last time REIGN X ALL THE WAAYYYYY!!!!
    DH:Mountain Cycle Shockwave 9.5 w/ 888R
    FR:Marin Quake w/ 888RC
    AM:BMC Superstroke 01 w/ 66RC2X

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by flyjar92
    thanks for the help
    ive looked into it a fair bit, and all of the reviews ive seen say that the magic link works and is a good feature. it seems like the giant will be a better "bike" though (as in ride better, handling, smoother, maybe lighter?).
    i may get a chance to try them both this weekend so ill let you know what i think.
    honestly it will be a little worthless. The dialed setups will feel nothing like a test ride, especially for the coilair. The coilair takes ALOT of setup.

mtbr member
    Now im not a Kona rider so need to be biased here nor am i looking to buy one soon. I am following this with some interest however as the idea of a 187mm on the back but still nice and tight is perfect for my style of riding

The reviews on this have been very positive

http://www.konaworld.com/08_reviews.htm
    http://www.konaworld.com/documents/m..._COILAIR_D.pdf ...is a good one

There is also a 3 page write up in "what mtb" out this month which is very positive too.

Couple of wider questions though.

I cant see the advantage of 187mm on the back when you are only running a 160 fork up front. Wouldn't it be better specced with totem or ATA 66.
    Also what is the travel range on the 2009 Kona coilairs.
    Will it ever be available as a frameset?