mtbr member
    Oct 2008

KHS Prototype = Astro AFDHA

So I'm sure a lot of you have seen the new KHS prototype downhill bike. I've even heard some good propoganda reviews of the bike. But, it's apparently the same thing as the Astro AFDHA. Anyone know how these bikes ride? How would they be different from a DW Link-type bike (besides the final price). Apparently the bottom pivot is centered on the bottom bracket and while that doesn't make it a BB-centric pivot, I'm curious as to how the bike would feel. Is this bike potentially a great, cheap DH bike or a servicing nightmare? Also, would we have to wait until KHS brings it stateside or is there a way to order the Astro Frame (if it's worth it)??
    You guys wanna ride bikes?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    How is it a "prototype" if another company already sells it for production?
    and how do you pronounce AFDHA? I flemmed on my keyboard trying differrrrent wayyyys.
    here we go again

bike rider
    I don't see why they put the pivot around the BB. Complicates things and accomplishes nothing. It could be a good dual link bike anyway.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    astro's the company that builds the frame...most big box brand companies use a company that astro that makes the frames. You can't buy direct unless you want to start a bike brand.

maker of trail
    http://www.astroeng.com.tw/default.asp

Catalog frame maker, maybe KHS' idea of "prototype" is trying new combination's of build kit with the frame? Maybe different paint?

sixsixtysix
    Took that long to figure it out huh?

The KHS "Prototype" has already been on sale by other companies in the EU for several months.

Astro makes all KHS, Azonic, Sette and about a dozen other companies frames.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I knew they made Sette's frame, but never checked out their site. But yeah I was late to the party on this one. I guess I was just confused by the fact that KHS was calling it their prototype. Maybe they did just add heavier paint for better stability...

maker of trail
    out of curiosity do you have a link to the KHS proto pix?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Vid on the KHS "Prototype" and its linkage:

http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/featu...2184/sspomer,2

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    they probably call it a prototype bc the geometry was set by them. probably the only reason

still incredibly sick...i want to ride one so badly

I just wanna go fast...
    I'm pretty sure the only people to call it a prototype were vitalmtb, I didn't hear the word "prototype" in that video once, just that it would be their 2011 dh bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Ah, good point. So does anyone know what this bike would feel like? Would it pedal like a dw/maestro link or would it be all over the place?

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by 7PointMe
    Ah, good point. So does anyone know what this bike would feel like? Would it pedal like a dw/maestro link or would it be all over the place?
    My instantaneous visual kinematic analysis concludes that it would pedal okay.

maker of trail
    ^ You missed the 3mm of chain growth at 28% travel which keeps it in that perfect part of the "S" axle path and prevents brake jack commonly found in "faux bar" setups.

The upper link causes teh travel to "zero" in on the pedal sweet spot under chain tension, hence the name "zero link".

This system provides a natural pedalling platform so it pedals like a HT, it has the "S" axle path in the beginning, then rear ward travel for those "square edged" hits but does so with minimal chain growth.

Under rear braking the system remains perfectly active will providing a naturally balanced anti dive and anti squat depending on the amount of front brake being used.

The zero link "zeros" in on all these sweet spots to give you the best ride on the market today.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thank you

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by essenmeinstuff
    ^ You missed the 3mm of chain growth at 28% travel which keeps it in that perfect part of the "S" axle path and prevents brake jack commonly found in "faux bar" setups.

The upper link causes teh travel to "zero" in on the pedal sweet spot under chain tension, hence the name "zero link".

This system provides a natural pedalling platform so it pedals like a HT, it has the "S" axle path in the beginning, then rear ward travel for those "square edged" hits but does so with minimal chain growth.

Under rear braking the system remains perfectly active will providing a naturally balanced anti dive and anti squat depending on the amount of front brake being used.

The zero link "zeros" in on all these sweet spots to give you the best ride on the market today.
    That's some impressive BSing! Please send your resume to KHS, ATTN: Marketing Dept.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I wonder how many shims it uses.....obviously moar wood be bedder

And for the record, I pointed out it's origin in April...

Logan Binggeli got 2nd at Nationals aboard it, so it can't suck....
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

maker of trail
    Quote Originally Posted by Pslide
    That's some impressive BSing! Please send your resume to KHS, ATTN: Marketing Dept.
    hehe thanks! It just seemed to flow naturally

keystone addict
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado
    I wonder how many shims it uses.....obviously moar wood be bedder

And for the record, I pointed out it's origin in April...

Logan Binggeli got 2nd at Nationals aboard it, so it can't suck....
    Pretty sure Binggeli could ride a beach cruiser to a top 5 finish. Not ragging on the bike or anything, but I just think pros at that high a level have so much talent that it really doesn't matter what they ride.
    [SIZE="4"]I kinda wish my brakes actually worked, but I guess that just makes me faster, right?[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Does anybody know if this will ever be available in the us?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Anyone who posts the tired old ******** that ANY full suspension bike pedals like a hardtail is giving you suspect information.

MOAR SHIMZ!