Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    8

    New question here. KHS lucky 7 suspension?

    I am coming from a santa cruz vp free with a marzocchi world cup air rear shock and just bought a khs lucky 7 and just got back from my first ride. Honestly I'm not that thrilled with nthe rear suspension. It feels like the first part of the stroke is too soft and on bigger hits/rocks/roots the second half of the suspension feels really harsh and like its not soaking it up? The suspension is smooth but never really feels plush past the first 3 inches of travel. on top of this it feels kind of springy like a pogo stick, lol. Any body else have these issues? Is the fox vanilla just that big a piece of crap or is it the frame design? My vp free that I got rid of would piss all over this bike!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    469
    Thats what you get for leaving VPP.
    I'm not opinionated at all, VPP is the best and if you dont ride it, f*** you

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    8
    I destroyed my old frame and couldn't afford the new frame I wanted (sc slope style) and got the lucky 7 new complete bike for $1600 and just swapped my better parts. I was expecting much more out of this bike, got great reviews but I think it blows. Hoping a better rear shock will help.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    8
    Not that I don't agree but would like to here from some other people too (FSR suspension riders), alota people rode one bike ever and always think there the best, yeah huhhhh.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,590
    FSR seems to soak everything up. Stuff you want it to, AND stuff you don't (like the pop off the lip of a jump). JMO though. YMMV... Will take you a while to get used to a very, very different suspension design.
    "It looks flexy"

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    469
    I rode FSR for as long as I could remember, then I bought a V10.

    "In my opinion" VPP pedals a **** ton better. It allows me to pedal anywhere I want, the FSR couldn't do that, it just didn't feel right. I still have a full suspension XC bike, but I rarely ride XC that it doesn't make any sense for me to get a different bike.
    Jumping characteristics, I can't really compare. I wasn't hitting very large jumps on the FSR bike when I had it, but the VPP even at 10" does incredibly well.
    Neither had any problem with brake input.

  7. #7
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    18,981
    The lucky 7 is a lower-pivot linkage-actuated SP design. It's going to be "so so" compared to some of the newer bikes like VPP, DWlink, etc. One of the the things you'll notice is that the lucky 7 is probably pretty harsh on square-hits, especially bigger ones that use more travel. You can try a better shock (avalanche, elka, Push mx, ccdb) and it will help, but it's a band-aid. I have the same issue with FSR a lot, real low pivot, pedals well uphill in small ring only, pedals ok on level and downhill in middle ring, gobbs of traction uphill, and so on, but there's better stuff now that doesn't compramise quite as much. The lucky 7 is not made by KHS, rather it's a bike from a taiwanese factory that makes bikes for lots of "manufacturers", it's not that it's poor, it's just not meant to be a Socom or other high end type bike. It's also hard to optimize such a bike for more than one ring up front, a SP bike can do well (but needs linkages to comtrol the rate IMO), and I have one of those as well, but what you can't do well is optimize the pivot location for multiple chainrings. It's going to work best with a specific number of teeth up front. My 46lb freeride SP bike pedals better than my FSR bike for that reason, but it's a ***** to ride everything in a 32 front ring (and I do mean I ride EVERYTHING). Part of me wants to always say that some of the simpler bikes work just fine and can be great bikes, part of me wants technology to keep moving forward.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    8
    yeah def harsh on the square edged bumps, the springgyness is whats driving me nuts the most (will bounce back and forth a couple times off one hit before the shock settles) and the shock seems to get really harsh anywhere in the second half of the travel. i'm gonna throw a better rear shock on it for now until I can afford to get another VPP bike. Thanks.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dowst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,707
    Sounds like you could try running more rebound damping before trying a new shock. That said, like Jayem way saying, there are inherent limits to the Lucky 7's suspension design.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    8
    I tried that, helped a little made made the bike feel slow and heavy and just tried to find a decent balance. Yeah I started to see the limits instantly, oh well I guess its gonna have to make do for now.

  11. #11
    maker of trail
    Reputation: essenmeinstuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    The lucky 7 is a lower-pivot linkage-actuated SP design. It's going to be "so so" compared to some of the newer bikes like VPP, DWlink, etc. One of the the things you'll notice is that the lucky 7 is probably pretty harsh on square-hits, especially bigger ones that use more travel. You can try a better shock (avalanche, elka, Push mx, ccdb) and it will help, but it's a band-aid. I have the same issue with FSR a lot, real low pivot, pedals well uphill in small ring only, pedals ok on level and downhill in middle ring, gobbs of traction uphill, and so on, but there's better stuff now that doesn't compramise quite as much. The lucky 7 is not made by KHS, rather it's a bike from a taiwanese factory that makes bikes for lots of "manufacturers", it's not that it's poor, it's just not meant to be a Socom or other high end type bike. It's also hard to optimize such a bike for more than one ring up front, a SP bike can do well (but needs linkages to comtrol the rate IMO), and I have one of those as well, but what you can't do well is optimize the pivot location for multiple chainrings. It's going to work best with a specific number of teeth up front. My 46lb freeride SP bike pedals better than my FSR bike for that reason, but it's a ***** to ride everything in a 32 front ring (and I do mean I ride EVERYTHING). Part of me wants to always say that some of the simpler bikes work just fine and can be great bikes, part of me wants technology to keep moving forward.
    the lucky 7 frame is definitely FSR.
    Take a look:
    http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/tech....1-30/lucky7-09


    To the OP.
    A guy I know has/had one, if I remember right, shock is a VAN R with too much built in propedal, thats what makes is harsh.

    Another buddy of mine has a devinici frantic (also FSR) and the VAN R (also with a butload of pp) on that felt pretty poopy, it blew up and he found a roco TSTR coil, huge difference.

    I'd say a better shock would be the first step. Maybe send the VAN R to push to get custom tuned for you and your frame.

  12. #12
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    18,981
    Quote Originally Posted by essenmeinstuff
    the lucky 7 frame is definitely FSR.
    Take a look:
    http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/tech....1-30/lucky7-09


    To the OP.
    A guy I know has/had one, if I remember right, shock is a VAN R with too much built in propedal, thats what makes is harsh.

    Another buddy of mine has a devinici frantic (also FSR) and the VAN R (also with a butload of pp) on that felt pretty poopy, it blew up and he found a roco TSTR coil, huge difference.

    I'd say a better shock would be the first step. Maybe send the VAN R to push to get custom tuned for you and your frame.
    Doesn't change too much, most FSRs have very low pivots (basically act like a low single pivot for bump absorption), causing those square bumps to be pretty harsh. Again, a better shock will help.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  13. #13
    maker of trail
    Reputation: essenmeinstuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Doesn't change too much, most FSRs have very low pivots (basically act like a low single pivot for bump absorption), causing those square bumps to be pretty harsh. Again, a better shock will help.
    Yeah, its not the best from the get go, but that VAN R on there with the uber propedal definitely doesn't help!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,590
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Doesn't change too much, most FSRs have very low pivots (basically act like a low single pivot for bump absorption), causing those square bumps to be pretty harsh. Again, a better shock will help.
    Wow, that's the complete opposite of what I have found on my 6.3" travel FSR (That I no longer have).
    "It looks flexy"

  15. #15
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,162
    Pogo stick???? You need more rebound...just need to dialshock in better
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  16. #16
    usually cranky
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    9,927
    Quote Originally Posted by ccspecialized
    Thats what you get for leaving VPP.
    I'm not opinionated at all, VPP is the best and if you dont ride it, f*** you
    so why is your name ccspecialized?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •