mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Keep my 09 Totem coil or get Lyrik DH coil? (or Van 36 RC2)

I ride a Bottlerocket with a beefy build, it's my only bike so has to be able to handle downhilling, jumps/Fr stuff and also XC loops.
    It currently weighs around 38 lbs

I built it up with tapered Totems for a Whistler trip earlier in the year and they worked great.
    Now I'm home in "sunny" Wales, I find they are a bit over the top (and heavy) for trail riding but love them when riding DH and drops etc.

I've got hold of some tapered Van36 RC2 fit 160mm forks with a view to swapping forks over depending on the ride but just found out that I can't get a spare crown race until the end of September (Gravity 1 DX pro headset)

I've been hearing good things about the Lyrik coil DH 170 forks (tapered) but they are about 670 here.
    How much abuse can they take? Are they loads less stiff than Totems?
    Should I sell the Totem and Van 36 to buy some Lyrik DH

Or I could just sell the Totems and use the 36s (Not so good for bottoming out on drops?)

At the moment I mostly like riding jumps, hips and drops so would like the lighter weight but worried I'll miss the beefy confidence of the Totems.

Anyone ridden 09 Totems, Lyrik DH coil & Van36 fit RC2 back to back?

Cheers

Committed
    The Lyric dh sounds like the fork for most of your riding. It is a bit less robust than the Totem, but stiffer than the 160mm 36. Keep the Totem for Whistler and the like, the Lyric will be plenty for anything else. The Lyric w/ dh cart is a wonderful fork, I love mine.

Flacko
    Mar 2006
    echoing 1SR, I love my lyrik DH. had a 66 on the Highline and now have the Lyrik on a delirium. a slighty lighter chassis than the 66, but better balanced for Trail riding and the cart/dampening is F'n all time. I am constantly amazed at what a great job it does handle highspeed and lowspeed hits!

that being said I miss the stiffer fork when riding true gnarly DH-----> so with both you'd be dialed

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the info
    I'd love to have both forks but it's not possible due to no job=no money
    It's one or the other :boo hoo:
    That's why I'm a bit stuck as to what to do.
    I don't ride much really rocky stuff so that's not too much of an issue but I do worry about how the Lyrik will handle big drops and casing jumps etc
    (although Graham Agassiz seems to do ok with Lyriks on his Kona entourage)

Perpetual Hack
    I too have a Delirium with a Lyrik 170 DH Coil.
    I love it for everything but gnar, it does ok, but I would like stiffer.
    ( I am a Clyde at 210 tho )
    So, I would agree, try to get the Lyrik for everyday, and keep the Totem for the gnar.

michael

ps, I am thinking of getting an older Totem Coil and rebuilding using an Avy cartridge for the rides when the Lyrik is not enough fork.

mtbr member
    Both...I have a Totem on my Delirium T which is great for DH but overkill the rest of the year for all mountain and XC riding. I have a Lyrik 170mm coil on order that should be in my hands in a few days. (wanted a solo air, but found a deal on a coil with a 1.5 steerer that I could not pass up)

The Totem is a great fork but it is relatively heavy and big. I am hoping to pick up a little bit of flick-ability by simply loosing some of the shear mass of the Totem.

You might seem some closeouts coming on the Lyriksas the 2012 RS line up should be out soon.

mtbr member
    get a new 36 atlas, 180 or 140 of squish. I have one on my wildcard and its very nice. Nicer in my opinion than my dads lyric w/ a the dh cart.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    OP, save the trouble and buy an Mission Control DH damper for your Totem: Totem Mission Control DH Compression Damper @ eBikeStop.com

Either that, or do the "floodgate mod" on your existing mission control. It totally changes the feel of the fork.