mtbr member

Kali Protectives Aatma Review

After being off the bike last summer with a wrist issue I thought it was time to upgrade some stuff and get a new helmet. I wanted a DOT for sure this time and looked at most of the big names out there and settled on a Kali Aatma

I was able to get out today at Blackrock in Falls City, Or for a quick morning ride. The helmet fits very well with goggles, I decided to wear galsses today but the field of view is massive.

For the last several seasons I have been wearing a Giro Remedy. I liked it but always wanted a little more protection. I can only compare the Kali to the Giro. The Kali vents well and is very light. I was able to feel the air moving over the top of my head. The chin strap is a D loop and sits in a comfortable position under my chin. I tried several helmets from 661 and Fox (V2) and the strap felt like it was choking me. This does not.

The padding on the Kali fits snug and is very soft. The Giro fit me like a glove and is a Medium, the Kali feel just as good in a Medium as well, however my ears hit the top of the padding, I can get used to it. I can't knock the Giro on anything as it saved my head several times, it was just time to move up to a newer lid and for my head shape the Kali Aatma fits the bill.

I picked this up for $279 shipped to my door. Its DOT (FMVSS 218) and ECE22.05 certified. I do have to say that I spoke to the guys at Kali with a couple of questions and they were great to work with. If you are looking for a new helmet this season, for the price the Kali Aatma is a deal for $300 range.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Yeah, I'm a fan of the Kali since I picked one up at the Northstar Race for Tara this past summer. I haven't bought one yet but they are on my short list since I picked up what I thought was the DH only version only to have the rep tell me it was the DOT motocross helmet. VERY light.

Capricious youth...
    I saw some of their stuff at Ashland Mountain Adventures last October, and I was VERY impressed. Looks like good quality stuff.
    Meh.

Glad to Be Alive
    300 is expensive and it doesn't fit well round ears
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    300 is expensive and it doesn't fit well round ears
    For a DOT certified helmet from a reputable brand that looks good? I think not.