mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Just bought my first DH bike for $870 (Mongoose ECD) and got some newbie questions

I just got them and they feel great, first time riding a DH bike.

I'm a tech guy so i went through every bolt on the bike and am ordering
    some stuff from ebay (break pads, grips etc).

I wanted to know about the front and rear shocks, when do i need to
    change/add oil, do i need to do this once a while or only when performance is going down? Same question goes for the hydraulic
    brake fluid.

One thing that i didn't understand is that the rear shock has two
    dials, one that makes it stiffer or softer and one on the back of the
    spring that says rebound something...I tried fiddling with it and i didn't
    feel a change.

The brake levers are a bit loose and wiggle if i move them up and down. Is there a way to fix that? I didn't see any screw for adjustment.

Thanks,
    Roy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I suggest searching the forums for these questions, as they have been answered EXTENSIVELY in other threads.

As for the rear shock, probably a rebound and compression setting, if you do not feel a difference they shock may be blown, but I doubt it. You will have to ride the bike to feel the changes. I would do a search on what rebound and compression are, as these have also been answered EXTENSIVELY in other threads.

Also, for suspension questions, I suggest listing the model of your fork and rear shock if you have questions, as specs vary by manufacturer and model.

Keep it gangsta, gangsta.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Also I have better luck searching these threads using google instead of the search function here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I found many how to guides for replacing oils etc but i didn't find
    any explanation regarding the reason for servicing.
    Why to change oil? Is it a time factor or only when the shocks don't
    rebound the same as before?

btw, I'm changing from a 9 speed to a 7 speed and i have seen that
    being done before while googling it but i still have an unanswered question...If my shifter is a 9 speed and my cassette is a 7 speed,
    if i click one gear up when i'm at the 7th speed, wouldn't the chain go off the gear?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by roig12 View Post
    I found many how to guides for replacing oils etc but i didn't find
    any explanation regarding the reason for servicing.
    Why to change oil? Is it a time factor or only when the shocks don't
    rebound the same as before?

btw, I'm changing from a 9 speed to a 7 speed and i have seen that
    being done before while googling it but i still have an unanswered question...If my shifter is a 9 speed and my cassette is a 7 speed,
    if i click one gear up when i'm at the 7th speed, wouldn't the chain go off the gear?
    As far as the brake fluid and shock oil, if you wait until you can physically feel a drop in performance, its way beyond the service interval. You should definitely stick to the service intervals suggested by the manufacturer on the shocks, if you do not know when the last they were serviced, it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and service them. As far as brake fluid, I find that twice a year is a good interval to change the fluid.

You will not be able to use the 7 speed cassette with the 9 speed shifter, the indexing of the derailleur will not match the 7 speed cassette. You will need a 9 speed, and if it is made of individual cogs, you can remove two and make it 7 speed if you truly want to. Which IMO, is not necessary unless you are using it as an out and out race bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    What is the difference between a 9 and a 7 speed cassette?
    I have seen some guides that show that they simply change
    the cassette and add a spacer when going down from 9 to 7
    but they didn't talk about the shifter.

So you mean that the problem is that the chain will fall off if i will
    change to 8th and 9th gear?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    What is the difference between a 9 and a 7 speed cassette?
    I have seen some guides that show that they simply change
    the cassette and add a spacer when going down from 9 to 7
    but they didn't talk about the shifter.

So you mean that the problem is that the chain will fall off if i will
    change to 8th and 9th gear?
    What cassette are you using, a bespoke 7 speed? Or are you modding a 9 speed down to 7? If it is a bespoke 7 speed, the spacing between the cogs is different than a 9 speed, and it will be impossible to make a 9sp derailleur and shifter work with it. If you take a 9sp cassette, and remove the 2 tallest gears, you are not changing the spacing of the cassette, you are simply replacing the two cogs with spacers. Then you have to limit the derailleur travel with either a longer limiting screw, or a cable knarp, depending on the make and model of the derailleur.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by csermonet View Post
    What cassette are you using, a bespoke 7 speed? Or are you modding a 9 speed down to 7? If it is a bespoke 7 speed, the spacing between the cogs is different than a 9 speed, and it will be impossible to make a 9sp derailleur and shifter work with it. If you take a 9sp cassette, and remove the 2 tallest gears, you are not changing the spacing of the cassette, you are simply replacing the two cogs with spacers. Then you have to limit the derailleur travel with either a longer limiting screw, or a cable knarp, depending on the make and model of the derailleur.
    Is there a 7 speed cassette with 9 speed spacing?
    What about all these guides showing that they replace the 9sp cassette
    with a 7sp and put a spacer? They don't mention anything about different space between the cassette gears...are they all wrong?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Is there a 7 speed cassette with 9 speed spacing?
    What about all these guides showing that they replace the 9sp cassette
    with a 7sp and put a spacer? They don't mention anything about different space between the cassette gears...are they all wrong?
    I don't know what you are trying to do man, what parts do you have? I, and everyone else here, can assist you better if you tell us exactly what parts you have. You are making this more difficult than it needs to be. Why are you even trying to go 7sp, no offense but you seem new at this, and I don't think you fully understand why people convert to 7 speeds in the first place. And these "guides" that you are referring to, I can't say 100% if they are wrong or not, but I guarantee they aren't putting the 7 speed cassette, they are simply removing 2 cogs off a 9sp and replacing those gears with cassette spacers.

I did this mod on my downhill bike and have since gone back to regular 9 speed because it's simply useless if you use the bike for anything but racing. I had a 9sp and took the first three gears out making it a 6 speed, and limited the cable travel with a cable knarp so I don't shift off the cassette. See attached picture

Just bought my first DH bike for 0 (Mongoose ECD) and got some newbie questions-s1600_vital_bike_check_030.jpg

Yes, that's fonetic
    You're a "tech guy" and don't know the difference between 7 and 9 speed??? As others have said, you have a lot of reading to do and you can probably find all your answers via the search function.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Dude sorry but a 870 dollar bike wont give you a good downhill performance
    bettet for freeride

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by gloryracer View Post
    bettet for freeride
    $870 for a used Mongoose ECD in great condition, ofcourse a brand new downhill bike for that price will be total cr**

Thanks everyone, I managed to solve my problem.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gloryracer View Post
    bettet for freeride
    Don't listen to this idiot. Two posts and he thinks he knows what he is talking about. It doesn't matter what you pay for a bike, it matters what bike it is and what kind of condition it's in. That bike was raced on the World Cup circuit by Andrew Neethling a while back, nothing wrong with that bike. Price bracket doesn't determine riding genre, its not like when you hit $1k it magically becomes a downhill bike instead of "freeride".