mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Jedi vs. Voltage FR vs. TR250

Out of the three what would you want to ride? with my xc/ all mountain rig done I am starting to save for a new freeride frame and these are the three I am looking at. Only other frame that catches my eye is a Zerode. So???

about my riding style- I started bmxing about 13 years ago and started freerideing on Teton Pass about 5 years ago. I like buffed out freeride trails but also want somthing that can cook through some baby heads and root clusterfumble. By modern standards I dont go huge, but I deffinantly do take some decent size hits. I am never going to get into competative racing so the fastest geometry is not an issue. I want a bike I can shuttle on, through around in the air, land flat off of 8'ers, and still nimble enough to screw around on some logs. I will be buying FRAME ONLY so build kits are not a consideration.

Thanks

edited to appologize for yet another x vs. y vs. z
    Last edited by Montuckyhuck; 04-24-2012 at 07:41 PM. Reason: add somthing

Wanna ride bikes?
    Tr250. Are you in Jackson? Cuz if so, I'd recommend the TR250 even more, The Hub really takes care of their riders, excellent bike shop.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Lived in Jackson for 7 years. My Fiance and I got sick of living with 9 ski bums to afford rent. We live in the Bitterroot in Montana now, but close enough that we still can go rip Lithium on the weekends. Also Big Sky is close. not to many FR trails in the valley, but working on some jumps in the yard. By the hub do you mean hoback? I used to build bikes there to pay for my pass adiction.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    i'm a canfield fan, but honestly i think the jedi is considered more of a down hill bike rather than freeride? but if i was buying a new one, that is the frame i would be getting. as far as the tr goes, i know they are really nice bikes, but aren't transitions single pivot bikes? to me, with the technology and systems out there today i don't see the advantage of single pivot bikes anymore. so what am i missing?

pv

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ak pura vida View Post
    i'm a canfield fan, but honestly i think the jedi is considered more of a down hill bike rather than freeride? but if i was buying a new one, that is the frame i would be getting. as far as the tr goes, i know they are really nice bikes, but aren't transitions single pivot bikes? to me, with the technology and systems out there today i don't see the advantage of single pivot bikes anymore. so what am i missing?

pv
    What's wrong with a single pivot? Especially a well designed single pivot?
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

Roll on Spring Time!
    Still riding a 2010 Jedi and it really only gets fun when riding fast. It jumps well if comming in with speed but it does lack a bit of pop. Quite a lot of pedal bob. Personaly I wouldnt get one for what you descride but then again alot of DH bikes are becomming DH specific to me. Currently I am very tempted by the TR450 because it seems to be more nimble and has more pop while still handling the rough. The TR 250 is also tempting but it runs smaller than the TR450 and I am looking for a more centered feel.
    Love the versatility of the Voltage and they seem to be well liked. I think this could be a good choice based on the way it rides and how it can be set up. Doods still rip DH so it can certainly handle the rough but you can tweak it for more Jumping/freerding stuff.
    I just want to ride.

mtbr member
    90% of my riding is on the pass and last year I was debating Jedi vs. new One, so I'll tell you what Lance (Canfield) told me. He recommended the One because it was more fun to throw around on the pass than the Jedi, plus more pedal-able. I took his advice and have been pretty happy with the One, even when I do get out of the hole and ride more rough DH stuff.
    "Always remember to be yourself. Unless you suck."
    Joss Whedon

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    For what you explained i would say it would be between the TR250 and the Voltage FR since the Jedi would be more DH. I have a Voltage FR and really like it. I have a FR10 and have ridden everything from Gnarly DH to XC trails on it, although it is my dedicated DH bike. It jumps with ease and handles the dh very well.

Come at me bro.
    +1 for tr250

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have demoed a TR250 from the Transition demo fleet, and it is a very very fun bike. That said, I'm currently building up a 2011 Jedi. I wanted more range between my AM bike (170mm front, 150mm rear) and my big bike.

If it were my only big bike, I'd be between the 250 and the Canfield One.

usually cranky
    id take the jedi off your list. its a dh bike meant for going fast.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nightofthefleming View Post
    What's wrong with a single pivot? Especially a well designed single pivot?
    There is nothing "wrong with it," however, virtual pivot suspensions offer better performance. The low-end bike industry has put a lot of effort into convincing people that suspension is just a matter of preference, but the reality is that there are designs that clearly out perform others.

There is nothing 'wrong' with a mini-van, however, an M3 will clearly out perform it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    id take the jedi off your list. its a dh bike mean t for going fast.
    Yeah i know the jedi was the odd one out of the list but darn do they look sweet . So how does everyone Think something like an operator or sx trail would stack up against the other two? Or even a status??

zombie freerider
    If you got the dough than the newly revised Canfield One looks to be perfect. Maybe a Cove STD? If you're just doing shuttles then don't worry about pedalling efficiency so the TR250 could be the ticket too.

It sounds like you're in a diff situation than me since you've got a trail bike but fwiw, I ended up getting an sx trail (the poor man's Canfield One) and doing the two wheelsets thing since it's my only bike. It has good enough geo to hit bike parks round here and still climb the odd trail or two. The chainstay is nice and short and yes, the fsr pedals much better than my single pivot bike before.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertr View Post
    There is nothing "wrong with it," however, virtual pivot suspensions offer better performance. The low-end bike industry has put a lot of effort into convincing people that suspension is just a matter of preference, but the reality is that there are designs that clearly out perform others.

There is nothing 'wrong' with a mini-van, however, an M3 will clearly out perform it.
    yup, this is exactly what i was going to say. for the money, imo, there are better performing systems out there. in the "old days" the one big advantage of single pivot was lower maintenance but with the modern systems that has become a much less of an issue. today, i would think the main advantage would be cost but transition definitely doesn't fall in the "low end" or "cheaper" category. i really like everything i've heard and seen from transition but it would be really hard for me to buy a frame in that category/price range that is a single pivot design.

pv

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I ride a demo 8 and love it, but recently I rode my GF's scott voltage becuase mine was broken.. It did well on steep, rocky terrain, but not nearly as plush as the Demo 8 (as expected). It did jump very well and by the end of the day I was keeping up with the others in my group on bigger bikes on rough terrain. Its easy to throw around that for sure. If I preferred fast, flowy jumpy stuff (which I do love, but we have lots of rocks here), its a bike worth owning.

Trying to compare it to a JEdi though is weird, as they are just totally different kinds of bikes I think..

Canfield Brothers
    I live in Victor and have been riding the pass for allot of years. In the beginning you really needed a big bike because the trails where rough and raw. The only trail left in that category is Lithium but you still have a good climb to get to it. I'd still say the One is the right bike for Teton Pass. It can be built in allot of different configurations depending on how much you want to climb vs how much shuttling your doing. Take a look in the Canfield site gallery for some examples. The One is going to feel better in the burms and off the jumps and still fully capable of riding the crazy gnar. It's just a really good pedaling DH bike that can run a front derailleur and still be built in the low 30 lb range. Plus we have stock in Jackson!
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

mtbr member
    Can't comment on the other bikes, but having ridden Jackson a lot and owning a TR250, given what you've described, you wouldn't be disappointed.
    Binary Transition Bikes Demon Dirt