Some Assembly Required

James Hetfield of Metallica not so cool in Marin Co.

"Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    I heard that on the radio this AM. I dont blame the dude, I mean if someone was coming on your property and vandalizing wouldnt you want to put an end to it as well? I mean clean up after yourself and others! Something I learned while offroading, TREAD LIGHTLY!!!
    06 Kona Stinky Deluxe
    08 Gary Fisher X-Cal
    01 Jeep Cherokee Sport, locked, lifted, and loaded

Freetard.
    There was no Vandalizing. Go check out the thread in the NorCal forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    Those cables on the Socom look flexy

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Too bad it's not Jason or Kirk's property... they are both mtn. bikers.

Naysayers?... http://metpage.hit.bg/facts.html (Point #57)

Glad to Be Alive
    man there has to be some law against that....emminent domain anyone??
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nut!
    There was no Vandalizing. Go check out the thread in the NorCal forum.
    I dont live anywhere near him so im just going by what the media is saying. If there isnt any vandalism then its a pretty sh!tty thing he did...
    06 Kona Stinky Deluxe
    08 Gary Fisher X-Cal

check your six
    Meh... his property and people are vandalizing... What would you do? I don't blame him. IF it was me, I would build that fence and make a pimp free-ride spot. lol..

By the way... I really dislike the guy on all other accasions. He is a douche...
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

NICE KID...NICE

I hate that guy...

First he try stop free downloading and now free out door activity. Well, the free downlonding of his music must not of hurt him too bad if he can afford to do that kinda stuff. That is the bad thing about land... they aint making any more of it.
    "At that point man, your just riding your bike."

Transition

Pedalshop

mtbr member
    time to DL more Metalica just to give him the big :f2:
    06 Kona Stinky Deluxe
    08 Gary Fisher X-Cal

Slopestyle Rider
    He's a douchebag, but it IS his property...

GRAVITY IS GOOD
    I hate that guy more than any other. Ever since the napster issue, and then his whiney and crying ways about life and how hard it is to be a rock star, I haven't been able to stomache the sights or sounds of his lame ass band either. He needs to grab a flight on Lynard Skynard Airlines, and yes, you can quote me on that!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    "I'm gonna build a fence- yah! It's gonna keep the people out- yah! I'm kind of a douche- yah! But screw you- yah! It's my property- yah! and I'll do what I want- yeeeaaaah!"

Some Assembly Required
    People have been using the trails through his land for yrs before he bought it. What a prick.

"James Hetfield, co-founder of the legendary heavy metal band Metallica, has erected a barbed-wire fence on his property near San Rafael, cutting off a fire trail that has been open to public use for decades"

"Hetfield bought the land in 1999, according to countyrecords."
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

squish is good
    I think the napster/free download thing was more Lars's baby. The rest of the band seemed a little reluctant to follow along on that. I think they recognized that it was gonna get them a lot of bad PR but Lars is such a douchebag he got them to stand with him on it. If there was vandalism I could understand it, haven't read the norcal thread but hey, it's his property. Hopefully they'll come to an agreement.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Shocker - limiting trail access in Marin? Unheard of!

banned
    "Wherever I may roam" - Just not on my property.
    "Sad but True" - self explanatory
    "Master of Puppets" - Sock puppets??
    "Blackened" - His image
    "Seek and Destroy" - The fun??
    "Dont tread on me" - or my land
    "The shortest straw" - We picked that one I guess??
    "The thing that should not be" - The fence!!
    "Harvester of Sorrow" - Thank you James, your cool.
    "St Anger" - Send me the biggest fence you have with barbed wire!!
    "..and justice for all" = I think not. - Fail, sorry had to be said.
    "Hero of the Day" - Fail, fail, fail, caliDH style.
    "Damage inc" - yup, he's done some damage
    "am I evil" - um, yes?
    "Fight fire with fire" - Figth fire with fence and $$.
    "No remorse" - What else do you guys expect.
    "Enter Sandman" - IDK, nickname for SMT?
    "The things that should not be" - uh, a trail throught my estate.

It's not like Yani or Radiohead put up the wall, This dude has been pissed off for 15years!!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat tyres
    It's not like Yani or Radiohead put up the wall, This dude has been drunk for 20 years!!
    Fixed.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You guys act like he has some legal obligation to allow other people access to his land.

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by DanD
    You guys act like he has some legal obligation to allow other people access to his land.
    Actually he might if the previous owner established a public easement by allowing the public to use the path. He may very well have no legal right to close the trail off even though it's on his property.
    Bike good, work bad.

Professional Troll
    Ummmm, its private property? He can do whatever he wants with it. If people really wanted access they could pay for some easement on the section they want, or just buy it outright from him. Wow, u people are amazing. Ya it might suck, but thats life.

Some Assembly Required

Yeah, what does he owe us....I mean it's not like we bought all of their music and put them where they are....er, uh...."oh wait yes we did". Pretty shitty of him IMO.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by man w/ one hand
    Yeah, what does he owe us....I mean it's not like we bought all of their music and put them where they are....er, uh...."oh wait yes we did". Pretty shitty of him IMO.
    I think success within a capitalist society put him where he is. Put down the Communist Manifesto and take a few deep breaths.

rock hard or hardrock
    pretty sad to hear...i <3 metallica

but this guy needs to learn the difference between "want" and "need". i mean, the guy is building a recording studio that is more than 4 times bigger than my house...who needs a 14,000 square foot house? i cant think of anyone. if anyone watched TLC and have seen the show about the family with 17 kids, they have a 7,000 square foot house and there fine. if anything they need a bigger house than James....hes just making a bad name for the band that we all used to love
    www.transitionbikes.com

"The journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step" -Bear Grylls

N* Bomber Crew
    I live literally 3 minutes down the road from his new mansion, and I already knew for years that he would block off all trails and crap to his estate.

Sack up. George Lucas lets us roll his trails.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Some Assembly Required
    I think success within a capitalist society put him where he is. Put down the Communist Manifesto and take a few deep breaths.

A capitalistic society is just an excuse to treat those of us who have to buy from others like ****. Capitalist society = those with the most "anything" wins period. Shitty way to treat those who are necessary to get where you wanna be. It has really made the US what it is today.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Edit: this is not the proper place to discuss the politics of it all, sorry for the derailling
    Last edited by DanD; 08-19-2008 at 02:24 PM.

mtbr member
    I assume this includes Solstice? I did meet a hiker up there one time and he said all of it was owned by Hetfield. Classic.
    "Identify your real master."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin G
    Shocker - limiting trail access in Marin? Unheard of!
    I nominate Marin the granny county of the granny state.
    "Identify your real master."

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I guess some of you missed this little tidbit: "Mr. Hetfield has been generous in the past, donating some 400 acres for conservation easement."

"The evil a man does lives on but his good is entombed with his bones."

mtbr member
    A capitalistic society is just an excuse to treat those of us who have to buy from others like ****. Capitalist society = those with the most "anything" wins period. Shitty way to treat those who are necessary to get where you wanna be. It has really made the US what it is today.
    Well said.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Anyone have any shots of the trails in question?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ender
    I assume this includes Solstice? I did meet a hiker up there one time and he said all of it was owned by Hetfield. Classic.
    I think the fence is up on a fire road; thus is hopefully not blocking Solstice. Can Raptorman confirm?

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin G
    I think the fence is up on a fire road; thus is hopefully not blocking Solstice. Can Raptorman confirm?
    Depends on which way you go up. The way I go (Which you will only learn about if you ride with me) isn't blocked off at all, just a few cow gates.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Equal opportunity meanie
    If I paid a lot of money for my own private land I sure wouldn't want other people traipsing through it. As a mountain biker I would probably make an exception for other mountain bikers, but if I were a non-mountain biker I probably wouldn't be wanting anyone going through it, whether they be on foot, bike, horse, or whatever.

mtbr member
    Hetfield used to live across the street from me. He was also cool when I talked to him. But really, the dude has donated land that we should appreciate it.
    The real problem with bike access in Marin is the Open Space District and the Water District, not Hetfield. And personally, I don't mind seeing the Open Space district get screwed. They are long overdue, and deserve it. Go Hetfield.

mtbr member
    Wasn't he the douchebag that sued Ride To The Hills or whatever?

mtbr member

Ride around the fence off the FIREROAD it isn't to hard! Or maybe they should be on the road?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot
    If I paid a lot of money for my own private land I sure wouldn't want other people traipsing through it. As a mountain biker I would probably make an exception for other mountain bikers, but if I were a non-mountain biker I probably wouldn't be wanting anyone going through it, whether they be on foot, bike, horse, or whatever.
    nu uh! I should be allowed to do whatever I want, and other people shouldn't! they should have to do what suits me best, not themselves!

but seriously, yah, it sucks, hopefully you can convince him otherwise, but thats 100% his call.

If I had several million dollars worth of house, I might not be too comfortable having lots and lots of people walking/hiking/riding across my land every day, thats kind of inviting problems.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot
    u read my mind, soulmate

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ianjenn
    Ride around the fence off the FIREROAD it isn't to hard! Or maybe they should be on the road?
    Nope.

New fence extends at least 50 feet in both directions and is not easily gotten around; plus he has a caretaker riding a Texas wheelchair. And to top it all off, it is made out of corrugated tin, and easily visible for miles. What an eyesore.

I agree the guy has property rights, but that trail really saw little use by cyclists, compared to other trails in the area. Would have been nice if he had allowed access, or limited access anyway. I'm hoping he will be reasonable in the end.

And I agree with NK; the agencies most responsible for our lack of trail access are the MCOSD and MMWD.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TLL; 08-19-2008 at 07:05 PM.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

mtbr member
    If it is the trail mentioned by KIRK earlier, it is cool but there are way harder , better ones to be found close by. Lucas may be cool now but but I have heard stories of people being chased off the property. There was a guy down here who did the same thing and fenced off access to a trail that was like 80% hand made and had been there at least 6 years B4 he bought the land. basically he cut the trail in half. And that is just how it goes! At least we can own land?

Some Assembly Required
    My whole point is this; the trails were there long before Jimmy Hetfield rolled up in there and he should consider that, well now that I think about it, he has and said "screw'em, block it off". Yeah he has donated land, "great, thanks Jimmy". Guess they should go cut trails in the land he donated.

Some Assembly Required
    Edit: this is not the proper place to discuss the politics of it all, sorry for the derailling

Yeah, there used to be a forum for that stuff and it got trashed over the whole Ibex bull crap. Caused alot of bad blood and good people to get banned.

mtbr member
    I find it halarious that people keep reminding us the it's the "LAW" and he can do what ever he wants with it. No ShiiT? That's fucing mind blowing!
    I think we all know what it means to "Own" something. The story is why is he being an a-hole about it? and why are people so fucing terrified of hikers and bikers?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, there used to be a forum for that stuff and it got trashed over the whole Ibex bull crap. Caused alot of bad blood and good people to get banned.
    Ya, I lurked there quite a bit, participated on occasion. Wish it were still around, seems stuff that belonged there has sprung up in the other forums, and frankly I generally don't care for that.

squish is good
    I agree, it would be nice to have F=88 back. Would keep many of these threads out of the bike forums.
    Bike good, work bad.

Members who have read this thread: 0