mtbr member
    Nov 2005

ironhorse yakuza kumicho type r????

so i'm looking into a full suspension bike for general freeriding, downhill and alot of north shore stuff. i already hit 12-15 footers to tranny on my hardtail so i plan to be going pretty big on it. i really like the transition dirtbag but i can get such a crazy deal on an ironhorse yakuza kumicho type r because at the shop i work at i can get 60% off ironhorses, so i could get it for just over $1000 bucks!

http://www.ironhorsebikes.com/bikes/index.asp?ID=15
    there's the link

but does anyone have any experience with this bike? the big question i have is how is the frame? how does it pedal? around here ya gotta ride to the top before you can bomb down it. but i'm really liking the build, the only part i'm iffy about is the frame which looks pretty good too. any input would be appreciated

mtbr member
    it looks nice, i would get that, that would be a sweet deal.

the only thing i could change on that would be the brakes, change the pistons to MAGs.

Glad to Be Alive
    pass on dat single pivot
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PLURPIMPIN
    so i'm looking into a full suspension bike for general freeriding, downhill and alot of north shore stuff. i already hit 12-15 footers to tranny on my hardtail so i plan to be going pretty big on it. i really like the transition dirtbag but i can get such a crazy deal on an ironhorse yakuza kumicho type r because at the shop i work at i can get 60% off ironhorses, so i could get it for just over $1000 bucks!

http://www.ironhorsebikes.com/bikes/index.asp?ID=15
    there's the link

but does anyone have any experience with this bike? the big question i have is how is the frame? how does it pedal? around here ya gotta ride to the top before you can bomb down it. but i'm really liking the build, the only part i'm iffy about is the frame which looks pretty good too. any input would be appreciated
    As it happens I've just ridden one for a weekend after my rear shock got stuck down on our DH track in Australia. Had to hire this after a recommendation from the bike shop. It was exactly the same bike as you are looking at.

Now originally I was riding a Santa Cruz Nomad which was going great until the shock stuck down, but after two rides of the Iron Horse I was considering buying downhill weapon for the future.

Now I've not ridden a lot of downhill so I can't give you the most objective opinon, but I found the bike pretty easy to pedal (coming from the Nomad that's pretty good). I immediately found myself going faster downhill, jumping more obstacles at speed and pushing harder on technical sections.

At the start of the course there is a steep fast fire road that was very sketchy on the nomad but I felt far more in control on the Iron Horse. For short pedalling up hills to keep moving on the course it was fine, but there weren't any extended sections of up hill I could comment on.

I always felt in control of the bike, it was easy to move around and move in the air as well. Considering I spent two minutes setting it up I was really happy with the suspension. It isn't a bike I would want to pedal too much due to cockpit set up and weight, but it was easy enough to pedal around on the flats, to the hotel and back etc.

My mate also had a ride and he agreed that it was a fast downhill bike and felt plush but not too soft. I was really impressed with the Boxxers as well.

Negatives - I couldn't really find any in the 20+ runs that I did. That doesn't mean there aren't any but I was just having such a blast I couldn't find them. Maybe someone may let you know what they are but for the money you're looking at paying I'd say you're getting a great deal.

If you want to ride more, it may be a bit heavy if you have a lot of hills to get up first. I didn't see many areas where you could save weight without compromising the strength. The plush rear may give a bit to much pedal bob if you're riding to the top, but I would have though a lot of bikes are going to do this in the price range.

Hope this all helps. If I can provide any other answers, let me know.

Brackish
    I have a Kumicho, good bike. Definately a downhill bike, though. It pedals uphill exactly like you would expect from a single pivot with 8" of plush rear travel: poorly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    '05 7points on performancne for 1,399
    so this is how you add a signature!!

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    I'd say you won't do better than that for just over $1K. That's a good set up.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    aiht yall i have had personalis experince with this kokumachawazzy bike and it felt great.
    this bike was anice plush ness of buttersmooth cream chesee. also this biike handles very well and for the prce rage u cont go wrongs

East Coast Style
    yea for 1000 thats def a good deal. my friend rode 1 last year at diablo, did pretty well on it actually. i think its defiantely worth that price
    Intense Socom
    Transition Double

[/SIZE][/FONT]

mtbr member
    i rented a kumicho at attitash in NH with a boxxer and it felt really stable and was very fast. Only things i didnt like were the weight, and the fact that it doesnt pedal that well. Other than that i thought it was a great bike
    Sully

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    i dont know if you didnt take what i said into consideration but ill see if i make my point better.

with the 7point you get a strong well built IH,with dw-link.itll descend just as well as the yak.it has an inch less of travel,but you can pedal it to the top when you need to.the stance is def not the nicest fork,but either drop a new spring in or get a new fork.

im just suggesting this cause you said you needed to pedal and you were liiking at IH's.
    so this is how you add a signature!!