mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Ironhorse SGS or Cove Peeler?

I know, I hate these threads too. I have an Ironhorse SGS now but I have the chance to get a Cove Peeler frame at a decent price. I ride fairly technical steep Downhills, do you think I should make the change?

Capricious youth...
    Despite the fact that your SGS is probably on the older side (I had one that was an '04 model), the suspension linkage is far superior than the Cove Peeler.

The Cover is a simple single pivot which is fine for downhill nuggin'. But I've found the FSR, albeit older FSR technology) is far more active for high speed runs, and small bump absorption, without lacking anything in the big-hit category.

I'd stick with the SGS, and upgrade it with the money you'd spend on a few frame.

If you have the fork on the SGS that I think you probably do, get rid of that crap Manitou Shermann and buy something nice like a Totem or a Boxxer.
    Meh.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Most of the runs around here are slow, and I think the SGS feels really sluggish, it's too slack and long and I thought that the Coves adjustability (it's the 05 so it has a few shock mounts would help so I could steepen the head angle abit.

Brackish
    Change it up, at least the Cove is still in production so if you break it you can get parts. Sometimes you just need a new ride!