mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Iron Horse Sohon Bucho/Yakuza Ojiki

I've got the freeride bug real bad, and the Randal Scott '06 prices on these two bikes is simply too hard to pass up. My dilema is this...I ride mostly moderate single track. A cross country racer couldn't handle the wash outs and roots, etc very well, but an all mountain type bike would laugh at the trails. However, all around the main single track are pleny of mild to wild drops and stunts and even some killer downhills. I have pushed my Gary Fisher Bitter dirt jumper to its limits on the stunts, and I don't dare go any faster on the downhills. So my question is...how bad would one of these bikes be on moderate single track? I have never been on a downhill bike, so I don't have a clue. Can they be trail ridden, albeit slow, or would I find myself pushing from stunt to stunt? There are some moderate climbs, but nothing crazy. They are all gradual. As much as I want a sweet bike to push the limits on, I would hate to buy it and then decide its too much trouble. I know this is a pretty subjective question, everybody has different tolerance and strength levels, but I would just like a little input. Thanks alot!

Shop *****
    You are looking at an AM bike.
    Some of the All Mtn. guys like to say:
    "We can pedal both up, and down"
    But, with a pure DH bike, it would be push, push and push. If you run Tubeless, air shock (dhx/Evolver), light crankset, light stem/bars, and single ring, you could easily get weight down to around 28-30lbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by RuLz
    All good suggestions. What kind of "ass-orderant" would you recommend?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Oh ok so those are AM bikes?(ofcourse I know All Mountain is a loose classification) Sorry for not knowing the difference, but I'm pretty new to this. I believe they both weight about 42lbs, which is alot heavier than my Piranha and Bitter.

Shop *****
    Right, those two are both freeride frames. You might have a little bit of a hard time pedaling those uphill. Look for an AM bike;
    Turner RFX, Intense 6.6, Haro X6, Jamis Komodo.. Etc. Don't limit yourself to a sale on RSCycle. There will be other sales, and possibly a better bike for cheaper.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Cool thanks alot for the opinion man. Basically you are saying its possible, but there are better options out there if I wait. Only trouble is I'm gettin married in September, and it will be alot easier to slip a new bike in now before we live together, rather than explaining myself this time next year when a new bike shows up on the front step as we are eating Beenie Weenies trying to make the house payment. Nah just kidding about that lol. I suppose I will sit on it for awhile, and if they sell out, then they sell out.

Shop *****
    Sure. If you decide that is what you want, jump on it. If you just think it might be too heavy/not efficient, wait around a little. In 2-3 months, all the 07's will be on sale/closeout, and you might be able to pick up a bargain
    Also, check used, there tend to be lots of cheapo sales there.

EastBaySteez
    IH 7points are pretty much in your nitch (maybe a tad heavier) I have no problem with my 7point on tight single track.

But IMO I would wait till the 07's go on sale and pick up a 07 6point.

Even an MKIII would do it. maybe...

Id go 6point
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    ya, um 6point

Portland, OR
    the sohon bucho is a full on DH bike. probably wouldent be much suited for FR either. you would walk it on the singletrack.

The ojiki is an okay bike. You would want to change the cranks (worst cranks ever on that bike) and possibly rear shock, get one with pro pedal because the ojiki is a singlepivot frame. I have a 7" travel full on DH bike. I run a 22/36 ring combo and have a platform rear shock. I can climb with the XC guys no problem The ojiki is more what you're looking for. AM bikes arent going to handle tons of DH and stunts. they'll do "o.k" but you'll be better on the singletrack. as long as the singletrack you ride isnt like 10 mile climbs while being super steep, you'll be just fine. The ojiki is a very strong frame, many people ride the aniki beefed up. (its the same frame) But a good AM bike will take you quite a bit above that $899.99 pricetag.

I would suggest an Ibex atlas, people have been pretty harsh on these this year, no one has had problems.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Stacks/Series_Atlas.html

But thats if you wanted more of an AM bike around your pricerange.
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Cool thanks alot everybody for the input. Motormonkey, I actually have a cut out of a 7 point I keep on my desk to keep me dreaming about "one day" Only trouble is that its like 5 grand. Definately not in my budget for now, although I do believe it is what would suite me well. I will have one eventually though, unless ofcourse somebody talks me into something else. Anyways, I guess I would say I am looking for a freeride bike that you can pedal reasonably well, not an all mountain bike that you can sorta freeride. I'll just sit on it and see what happens. Thanks alot fellas

EastBaySteez
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleup05
    Cool thanks alot everybody for the input. Motormonkey, I actually have a cut out of a 7 point I keep on my desk to keep me dreaming about "one day" Only trouble is that its like 5 grand.
    06's are cheap. I got mine for 1200.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Where from?

mtbr member
    Check out performancebike.com They always have IH on sale.