the giant.

Iron Horse SGS Pro. Any good?

im looking at buying a 2004 iron horse sgs pro from a guy on craigslist. as far as i know its stock. this will be my first dh quality bike. im more of a beginner into dh. i have plenty of mtb experience, but nothing is the dh catategory.

is this bike good for what i need?

I could gap that.
    Jul 2008
    Depends on how much you're picking it up for. I mean, it's an alright bike for intro to DH, but depending on the price... You can find Kona Stinky's for around $800ish if that's more than what you are looking to spend, or not.

I was going by this build... http://www.bikepedia.com/QUICKBIKE/B...ride&Type=bike
    Demo 8
    P1
    http://www.chainsmokeracing.net/
    Sponsors: Twenty6, ODI, Elka, Crank Bros, Sixsixone, Azonic, Specialized

mtbr member
    It'll work. Just check the area that's welded by the seat mast and down tube. My 03 cracked there. They were known for it. ttyl, Fahn

eat your porridge jordie
    SGS would be better than a Stinky. I have an 04 expert and it was a rocking bike until I cracked the chainstay right in front of the pivot. Check it over carefully, especially the pivots as it is very hard to source parts for these bikes now. If it has the DH link it will be better for full on dh, slacker HTA and beefier dropout area.
    "If you want to do something ordinary people can't, you have to be willing to do what ordinary people won't"

Elitest thrill junkie
    I would make sure the SGS has the upgraded chainstays. They were flexy and prone to breaking. They did release an improved chainstay available as an "upgrade" a little later. Visually it is easy to tell, so if you have a picture that would help. The original chainstays looked like they were from an XC bike and had no business on a DH bike.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

the giant.
    i think it has the old chainstays, but for the price in getting it for, ill just live with it for now, and then find the newer chainstays if they break. i have a few pics. they look like the chainstays on a stinky. but overall i think its a good buy.

but its still much cheaper than a $800 stinky. im getting a good deal. but for intro riding i think ill be good.

mtbr member
    It is a good bike. I had a SGS World Cup in 2004 and other than feeling heavy it was a good bike.

the giant.
    alright! im pumped. i just wanted more opinions. hopefully the guy has it when i get the money for it.

e.f.f.e.c.t smoothoperatr
    i LOVED my SGS, the only prob was the rear swing arm was like a noodle. i fixed that though! http://w ww.pinkbike.com/photo/800475/

Gold Member

Convert question...

I rode my 1st SGS the other day on my 1st dH run ever and had a blast. The guy I borrowed it from uses them because they work and are cheap to replace when they break.
    Last edited by F5000sl; 09-29-2009 at 10:10 AM.
    CyclingCentralVa.org
    Shop Hand
    On-One Lurcher
    Salsa El Mariachi
    SC TBc
    Kona JTS
    RM RMX
    LOOK675