Pwnerer

Iron Horse 7 point 5 vibration problem

After my recent trip to Northstar my bike (pics here if needed) developed a vibration that's very noticeable even when just rolling it on smooth pavement. It seems to be mostly vibrating up and down towards the front of the bike. The vibration is low frequency.

I think it might be the headset. I've messed with it and found the spacers (this type) to be wobbly, but I don't know if that's the only problem. It has sealed bearings and a 1.5 to 1 1/8 (I think) adapter. How do I troubleshoot the problem?

Thanks
    My signature is better than yours.

Meh.
    If the spacers can be moved around with your fingers, the headset came loose. You need to preload the bearings. Loosen your stem and top crown. Tighten the headset cap until all the slop is removed... but not any tighter. You can check for play by turning the wheel to the side and rocking the front end. Tighten the crown and stem to clamp onto the steer tube. Rock your wheel side to side. Check for play in the hub. If there is, you either need to adjust the hub (some hubs don't have adjustment) or replace the bearings. Make sure your wheel is on tight.

You can check the fork for slop in the bushings too. Feel where the stanchions goes into the lowers and rock the front end with the wheel turned to the side.

Pwnerer
    I did tighten it. The spacers seem like their inside diameter is half a millimeter more than it should be. I discovered this while the stem was off the bike. And when I put it back on I tightened everything just like you said. Didn't check the hub yet, but there's a little bit of play in the headset I think.

I can ride a two-wheeler
    I was helping Boris with his bike yesterday.

No matter how much you tighten the headset, it still has play. It doesn't seem to make any sense because the bearings are sealed and they don't seem worn out. Could the 1.5 to 1 1/8 conversion cup be causing this problem? Maybe an ovalized stem?

..no hub or fork play

Pwnerer
    Yea.

Meh.
    You did loosen the clamp (around the steer tube AND the stanchions) before you tried to tighten the headset cap, right?

The stem is a direct mount. How would it ovalize?

Take it to a bike shop.

I can ride a two-wheeler
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    You did loosen the clamp (around the steer tube AND the stanchions) before you tried to tighten the headset cap, right?
    yes

maker of trail
    you probably checked... but... does teh steer tube bottom out on the top cap?? ie is the tube a bit too long and that prevents you from further tightening the head set up?

Pwnerer
    It's the stock setup so yea it's the right length.

Meh.
    If you've done all that and still got play, the bearings are probably bad.

I can ride a two-wheeler
    haha, Boris needs a new headset

Glad to Be Alive
    just
    take it to the LBS and get it looked at
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days