mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Iron Horse 7.7 Or a Giant Faith?

So i'm trying to get back into downhill as i'm getting a beer belly and need to get my girlfriend away from the bong. So I'm giving her my kona for x mas and need advice on which bike i should trade my pit bike for.

Both of these guys are willing to trade for my 04 crf 50.

Faith
    $800 - Giant Faith 3 Bike + Extra DH Shocks

iron horse 7 point 7 down hill free ride bike

edit:
    or this norco that just got offered and is prolly my fav...

this guy just offered me his norco to trade.
    I think i like this one the best, what do ya'll think?

Which one? I like the giant more but the 7.7 seems like more recent tech. and may give me less trouble.

Heres my pitbike if any of ya'll wanna trade.

2004 HONDA crf pit bike

I accidentaly posted this in frame discussion but should have put this here sorry.
    Last edited by 87xjmike; 12-23-2012 at 12:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    well the 7.7 has been out of production for a number of years, so from a warranty/replacement stand point, the IH is going to be inherently harder to find replacement parts for. and no warranty whatsoever so should you crack a vital part of the frame you will be **** out of luck. i would almost guarantee the 7.7 is a better riding bike, i am bias though since i have been on several iterations of the dw link. the faith is by no means a slouch, and if something goes wrong you will have endless options.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Great points thanks for the input. I just read that they IH filed for bankruptcy so yes i'd be SOL there. But i have a welder, and my friend tigs aluminum underwater rov arms for a living so i should be able to fix something if it goes wrong.

GAME ON!
    the 7 point frames are pretty burly. i think you'd be hard pressed to break it. the bearings are readily available. the faith is just as old if not older and i have seen plenty of those break. i'm not saying either is more likely to break, but i'd pick the iron horse although i think it's overpriced. there's no reason that it shouldn't be priced where the faith is.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

backwoods and backwards
    I'd pay $900 for the 7point. The Giant does nothing for me.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Moose Member
    My dad owns that model Giant faith, and it's a tank. It's about 45-50 lbs, and burly as hell. It's a fine bike, but i'd go with the 7point. Should be lighter (a bit) and easier and more fun to ride.

plus my dads faith has a metel on the back, and i'd rather just throw the spring from a bic pen back there. the metel is garbage, plain and simple. you'd need a new shock to make the giant feel rideable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    I'd pay $900 for the 7point. The Giant does nothing for me.
    Just found out the 7.7 has a 2012 rc4 fox coilover with gold coating. i'm hopefully getting it tomorrow.

thanks for the input guys.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    this guy just offered me his norco to trade.
    I think i like this one the best, what do ya'll think?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    good bike ,i like that, Great points thanks for the input. ,thanks for your sharing, thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Huh? Did you have any input on the shore ||?

GAME ON!
    i would not trade for a shore
    RIP Adam Yauch

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Any reason in particular?

GAME ON!
    it's old, it's ugly and has a weak spec.
    RIP Adam Yauch

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    It's a shore 2. Weren't those 09-10 bikes? I wouldnt consider that old. With a bomber front fox rear I like the shocks and Hayes nine brakes I think it'd do alright. I will say the only thing that is attracting me to the norco is the dual crown fork and the fact that the company is still around. But I was hoping to get insight from here first so thanks. The norco guy is coming by in a few hours. Ill prolly hold out for the 7.7 guy to get in town.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    That Norco is definitely older than 09. The 7point is a better bike, but the large is pretty large. How tall are you?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm 5-10

Glad to Be Alive
    conflicting thoughts with different opinions from everyone.....but no way get the iron horse...because of something minor/major happens you will have to get a new frame because IH is out of business
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 12-23-2012 at 03:16 PM.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    yeah that keeps on steering me away from it. I broke a friends swing arm on his yetti once on a brig drop and it is a horrible feeling.

The 7.7 is a 2006 bike. Norco is a 07-08 so i may do the norco.

GAME ON!
    there are always iron horse parts on ebay. there are two 7point rear triangles right now. check the iron horse forums to see about any issues with the 7points. there aren't a lot.
    RIP Adam Yauch

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    That norcos not an 08, its an 06 or 07. All the bikes youre looking at here are out of warranty and production, so it doesnt make a difference that IH is out of business. I would bet replacement parts are more easily available for the 7point than the others, just because of how popular they were/ are. At 5'10" I think youd be fine with the large.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    That 7.7 is way overpriced... I sold my 08 7pt with '10 boxxer for $1400, and that was after I paid $650 for it with a different fork over a year ago. While the company is out of business, the 7pt are very burly so you shouldn't have any frame issues but you might need new bearings (cheap). I'm partial to DW links (having owned an IH MKIII, then a IH yakuza (yuck), then 7Pt (too heavy for me), and Mojo and now Mojo HD - best all around bike I've tried)

That picture sure doesn't look like an 2012 RC4 kashima. $1000 with it maybe, otherwise 800 or less without.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    conflicting thoughts with different opinions from everyone.....but no way get the iron horse...because of something minor/major happens you will have to get a new frame because IH is out of business
    There are sites that still sell parts and the only stock component is the frame. Just my opinion