Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Interbike or Whistler?

I usually always go to Interbike the third week in September spending the first two days at Dirt Demo then moving on to Hurricane for a day then Moab for rest of the week.

I'm seriously debating changing things up a bit (Ok... a lot).

Travel 914 miles to Olympia, WA on Friday the 14th for the Capitol Forest Enduro on the 15th. Then travel to Vancouver Sunday. Ride the North shore for a day or two, Squamish for a day then on to Whistler for the final three days.... 1100 mile trip home on Sunday.

Does that sound crazy?

Moose Member
    No! Go to Canada! Being from Nevada, and having taken my first whistler trip this year, it's amazing! I only hit whistler, but did some rafting in Squamish, and everywhere you go it's amazing riding! You have to try it out.

Look at the time!
    Obsessing about bike parts at inter bike vs. actually riding bikes at Whistler? Tough call!
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member
    Shore/Squamish/Whistler hands down.

RideDirt
    This shouldnt be a question ! Whistler baby ! I never been but plan on going next year hopefully

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Whistler...OR if you still want to do Moab, a few days at Teton Pass then head to Moab.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lelebebbel View Post
    Obsessing about bike parts at inter bike vs. actually riding bikes at Whistler? Tough call!
    I only ride bikes at I-bike. Never been to the indoor exhibit. Two days. 8 hours a day. A dozen different bikes on fun Bootleg Canyon trails.

It's fun.... but I've done it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    If they were both 4 hrs away, and I knew my way around Washington and BC like I do Vegas/Hurricane/Moab... it would be a no brainer. I know I would enjoy it.

Start talking 1000 mile distances, increased cost (that's going to seriously cut into my Chilcotin savings) and riding on my own in unfamiliar territory and my brain pauses a bit.

What I need is a trip partner who knows their way around up there. I'm sure I could figure it out.... but it's always nice to ride someone's rear wheel.
    Last edited by KRob; 08-16-2012 at 10:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gurp View Post
    Whistler...OR if you still want to do Moab, a few days at Teton Pass then head to Moab.
    Teton Pass is not exactly on the way from Vegas to Moab..... or were you suggesting skipping Interbike Dirt Demo and do Teton Pass then on to Moab? That might work. I've seen some reports from TP and it looks super cool.

One of the options I'd considered to mix things up a bit was to do Dirt Demo then head to Mammoth then Tahoe/North Star.

I've been dying to get some lift served runs under my belt. Never done that kind of stuff but reading/viewing all the reports and vids here makes me believe I would thoroughly enjoy it.

Which brings up another question. I assume all these places are still running lifts that late. Sept 17-22?
    Last edited by KRob; 08-17-2012 at 07:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Teton Pass is not exactly on the way from Vegas to Moab..... or were suggesting skipping Interbike Dirt Demo and do Teton Pass then on to Moab? That might work. I've seen some reports from TP and it looks super cool.

One of the options I'd considered to mix things up a bit was to do Dirt Demo then head to Mammoth then Tahoe/North Star.

I've been dying to get some lift served runs under my belt. Never done that kind of stuff but reading/viewing all the reports and vids here makes me believe I would thoroughly enjoy it.

Which brings up another question. I assume all these places are still running lifts that late. Sept 17-22?
    Skip Dirt Demo. I'd take Teton Pass over Mammoth/N*. However, if your set on a lift instead of a shuttle, go to Whistler.

mtbr member
    Northstar is open Fri-Sun until Oct 7. I'm actually working at Ibike through Wednesday and then will be back in tahoe Thursday-Sun. There is a Super D race at Squaw Valley on Saturday the 22nd. If you make it up this way maybe we can hook up.

mtbr member
    Northstar is open Fri-Sun until Oct 7. I'm actually working at Ibike through Wednesday and then will be back in tahoe Thursday-Sun. There is a Super D race at Squaw Valley on Saturday the 22nd. If you make it up this way maybe we can hook up.
    Where will you be at I-bike? Titus/On One or DSP? I'll swing by and say hey.

Super D in Tahoe might be fun.

mtbr member
    come to canada for sure. just got back from the north shore and whistler. stunning!!!! if you do make it to mt seymour and squamish you will need to find a ride up to the trail heads. shouldn't be an issue many riders always heading up. we go to whistler every year and this was our first stop at the shore, and mama was i in for a surprise. starting cbc, to cambodia and lollas run, i was blown away with the trails. very advanced and epic. whistler is always a blast and in sept the trails will more than likely be tacky from a bit of rain. the trails are soo much better with some moister for sure. if you have never been and have a chance, jump on it, you will never regret the choice.
    "Live dangerously and you live right."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

It's carbon dontcha know.
    As much as I do some crazy long drives, 900 miles the day before a race and then 1100 in a day on the way back is a little excessive. But on my trips I love to head out to new places. I'm perfectly happy riding way out there on my own on unfamiliar trails following someone elses GPS track though.

If you've never done lift served on a proper DH bike you definitely need to give it a try though!
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Come visit Whisgnar. Will be back from euroland on Sept 23rd and will show you around our igloos
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Glad to Be Alive
    for the win...easy choice
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member

Dsp

Where will you be at I-bike? Titus/On One or DSP? I'll swing by and say hey.

Super D in Tahoe might be fun.
    I'm going with the DSP guys, Titus isnt going since they sell consumer direct, no need to meet with dealers etc. Still not sure what my capacity is, I know I'm involved in a "live at interbike" video about DSP products. Probably will have to man the booth for awhile, DSP is footing the bill so I'm just going to enjoy a free little vacation.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    How about if you go to Interbike for me and I go to Whistler?
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Go ride the funnest place on earth,

or smell like an ashtray every, waking, moment...?

Hmmmm...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Take Lee up on his offer. Best guide ever on the best trails anywhere.

Eric

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement View Post
    As much as I do some crazy long drives, 900 miles the day before a race and then 1100 in a day on the way back is a little excessive. But on my trips I love to head out to new places. I'm perfectly happy riding way out there on my own on unfamiliar trails following someone elses GPS track though.

If you've never done lift served on a proper DH bike you definitely need to give it a try though!
    Yeah, that's one of the things making me question my sanity. Long distances are pretty common from where I live, but I'm sure 14-15 hours in the car the day before a race is going to leave the legs feeling like lead.

I have a GPS (old school eTrex Vista trekking unit) but certainly don't know how to use it well enough to load a track and follow it. I know, I'm a total technology spaz.
    Last edited by KRob; 08-22-2012 at 03:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    Come visit Whisgnar. Will be back from euroland on Sept 23rd and will show you around our igloos
    Such a great offer Lee. Thanks! Looks like our schedules don't coincide though. I'll be heading back to Nevada on Sunday the 22nd if I do the NW route.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy View Post
    Go ride the funnest place on earth,

or smell like an ashtray every, waking, moment...?

Hmmmm...
    No ashtrays out at Bootleg Canyon. Like I said above, I never even go to the indoor show at I-bike (or Vegas, for that matter). Just lots of bikes and awesome Bootleg trails.

Sounds like I've got a clear consensus for WA/BC though. I just need to get over the mental and logistical road blocks and just do it (once I have spousal approval, of course).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    How about if you go to Interbike for me and I go to Whistler?
    I'm going with the DSP guys. Probably will have to man the booth for awhile.
    Yeah, manning a booth at I-bike looks like work. I really appreciate all the guys who do though, especially those who act like they enjoy it and are nice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Sounds like I've got a clear consensus for WA/BC though. I just need to get over the mental and logistical road blocks and just do it (once I have spousal approval, of course).
    The doghouse can be a sacred place...especially when you're reflection on the awesomeness that just ensued! Its worth it!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast