Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Interbike or Whistler?

I usually always go to Interbike the third week in September spending the first two days at Dirt Demo then moving on to Hurricane for a day then Moab for rest of the week.

I'm seriously debating changing things up a bit (Ok... a lot).

Travel 914 miles to Olympia, WA on Friday the 14th for the Capitol Forest Enduro on the 15th. Then travel to Vancouver Sunday. Ride the North shore for a day or two, Squamish for a day then on to Whistler for the final three days.... 1100 mile trip home on Sunday.

Does that sound crazy?
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Moose Member
    No! Go to Canada! Being from Nevada, and having taken my first whistler trip this year, it's amazing! I only hit whistler, but did some rafting in Squamish, and everywhere you go it's amazing riding! You have to try it out.

Look at the time!
    Obsessing about bike parts at inter bike vs. actually riding bikes at Whistler? Tough call!
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member
    Shore/Squamish/Whistler hands down.

RideDirt
    This shouldnt be a question ! Whistler baby ! I never been but plan on going next year hopefully

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Whistler...OR if you still want to do Moab, a few days at Teton Pass then head to Moab.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lelebebbel View Post
    Obsessing about bike parts at inter bike vs. actually riding bikes at Whistler? Tough call!
    I only ride bikes at I-bike. Never been to the indoor exhibit. Two days. 8 hours a day. A dozen different bikes on fun Bootleg Canyon trails.

It's fun.... but I've done it.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    If they were both 4 hrs away, and I knew my way around Washington and BC like I do Vegas/Hurricane/Moab... it would be a no brainer. I know I would enjoy it.

Start talking 1000 mile distances, increased cost (that's going to seriously cut into my Chilcotin savings) and riding on my own in unfamiliar territory and my brain pauses a bit.

What I need is a trip partner who knows their way around up there. I'm sure I could figure it out.... but it's always nice to ride someone's rear wheel.
    Last edited by KRob; 08-16-2012 at 11:07 AM.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gurp View Post
    Whistler...OR if you still want to do Moab, a few days at Teton Pass then head to Moab.
    Teton Pass is not exactly on the way from Vegas to Moab..... or were you suggesting skipping Interbike Dirt Demo and do Teton Pass then on to Moab? That might work. I've seen some reports from TP and it looks super cool.

One of the options I'd considered to mix things up a bit was to do Dirt Demo then head to Mammoth then Tahoe/North Star.

I've been dying to get some lift served runs under my belt. Never done that kind of stuff but reading/viewing all the reports and vids here makes me believe I would thoroughly enjoy it.

Which brings up another question. I assume all these places are still running lifts that late. Sept 17-22?
    Last edited by KRob; 08-17-2012 at 08:25 AM.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Teton Pass is not exactly on the way from Vegas to Moab..... or were suggesting skipping Interbike Dirt Demo and do Teton Pass then on to Moab? That might work. I've seen some reports from TP and it looks super cool.

One of the options I'd considered to mix things up a bit was to do Dirt Demo then head to Mammoth then Tahoe/North Star.

I've been dying to get some lift served runs under my belt. Never done that kind of stuff but reading/viewing all the reports and vids here makes me believe I would thoroughly enjoy it.

Which brings up another question. I assume all these places are still running lifts that late. Sept 17-22?
    Skip Dirt Demo. I'd take Teton Pass over Mammoth/N*. However, if your set on a lift instead of a shuttle, go to Whistler.

mtbr member
    Northstar is open Fri-Sun until Oct 7. I'm actually working at Ibike through Wednesday and then will be back in tahoe Thursday-Sun. There is a Super D race at Squaw Valley on Saturday the 22nd. If you make it up this way maybe we can hook up.

mtbr member
    Northstar is open Fri-Sun until Oct 7. I'm actually working at Ibike through Wednesday and then will be back in tahoe Thursday-Sun. There is a Super D race at Squaw Valley on Saturday the 22nd. If you make it up this way maybe we can hook up.
    Where will you be at I-bike? Titus/On One or DSP? I'll swing by and say hey.

Super D in Tahoe might be fun.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    come to canada for sure. just got back from the north shore and whistler. stunning!!!! if you do make it to mt seymour and squamish you will need to find a ride up to the trail heads. shouldn't be an issue many riders always heading up. we go to whistler every year and this was our first stop at the shore, and mama was i in for a surprise. starting cbc, to cambodia and lollas run, i was blown away with the trails. very advanced and epic. whistler is always a blast and in sept the trails will more than likely be tacky from a bit of rain. the trails are soo much better with some moister for sure. if you have never been and have a chance, jump on it, you will never regret the choice.
    Product designer @RSDBikes.com

"Live dangerously and you live right."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

It's carbon dontcha know.
    As much as I do some crazy long drives, 900 miles the day before a race and then 1100 in a day on the way back is a little excessive. But on my trips I love to head out to new places. I'm perfectly happy riding way out there on my own on unfamiliar trails following someone elses GPS track though.

If you've never done lift served on a proper DH bike you definitely need to give it a try though!
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Come visit Whisgnar. Will be back from euroland on Sept 23rd and will show you around our igloos
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Glad to Be Alive
    for the win...easy choice
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member

Dsp

Where will you be at I-bike? Titus/On One or DSP? I'll swing by and say hey.

Super D in Tahoe might be fun.
    I'm going with the DSP guys, Titus isnt going since they sell consumer direct, no need to meet with dealers etc. Still not sure what my capacity is, I know I'm involved in a "live at interbike" video about DSP products. Probably will have to man the booth for awhile, DSP is footing the bill so I'm just going to enjoy a free little vacation.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    How about if you go to Interbike for me and I go to Whistler?
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Go ride the funnest place on earth,

or smell like an ashtray every, waking, moment...?

Hmmmm...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Take Lee up on his offer. Best guide ever on the best trails anywhere.

Eric

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement View Post
    As much as I do some crazy long drives, 900 miles the day before a race and then 1100 in a day on the way back is a little excessive. But on my trips I love to head out to new places. I'm perfectly happy riding way out there on my own on unfamiliar trails following someone elses GPS track though.

If you've never done lift served on a proper DH bike you definitely need to give it a try though!
    Yeah, that's one of the things making me question my sanity. Long distances are pretty common from where I live, but I'm sure 14-15 hours in the car the day before a race is going to leave the legs feeling like lead.

I have a GPS (old school eTrex Vista trekking unit) but certainly don't know how to use it well enough to load a track and follow it. I know, I'm a total technology spaz.
    Last edited by KRob; 08-22-2012 at 04:27 PM.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    Come visit Whisgnar. Will be back from euroland on Sept 23rd and will show you around our igloos
    Such a great offer Lee. Thanks! Looks like our schedules don't coincide though. I'll be heading back to Nevada on Sunday the 22nd if I do the NW route.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy View Post
    Go ride the funnest place on earth,

or smell like an ashtray every, waking, moment...?

Hmmmm...
    No ashtrays out at Bootleg Canyon. Like I said above, I never even go to the indoor show at I-bike (or Vegas, for that matter). Just lots of bikes and awesome Bootleg trails.

Sounds like I've got a clear consensus for WA/BC though. I just need to get over the mental and logistical road blocks and just do it (once I have spousal approval, of course).

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    How about if you go to Interbike for me and I go to Whistler?
    I'm going with the DSP guys. Probably will have to man the booth for awhile.
    Yeah, manning a booth at I-bike looks like work. I really appreciate all the guys who do though, especially those who act like they enjoy it and are nice.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Sounds like I've got a clear consensus for WA/BC though. I just need to get over the mental and logistical road blocks and just do it (once I have spousal approval, of course).
    The doghouse can be a sacred place...especially when you're reflection on the awesomeness that just ensued! Its worth it!

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    No ashtrays out at Bootleg Canyon. Like I said above, I never even go to the indoor show at I-bike (or Vegas, for that matter). Just lots of bikes and awesome Bootleg trails.

Oops. Didn't read that part.

I've been up there 7 (8?) times and it's never enough... Do whatever it takes.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    go to whistler if you havnt been before,,,, it will change your life forever,,,
    i will be there for the last 3 weeks of september so if you do go i can have a buddy to ride with,,, seriously if you do go you wont be dissapointed,,,, squamish has some awesome riding, so does whistler,,,, never rode the shore so cant really comment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by reigndown3 View Post
    The doghouse can be a sacred place...especially when you're reflection on the awesomeness that just ensued! Its worth it!
    LOL. So true.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    go to whistler if you havnt been before,,,, it will change your life forever,,,
    i will be there for the last 3 weeks of september so if you do go i can have a buddy to ride with,,, seriously if you do go you wont be dissapointed,,,, squamish has some awesome riding, so does whistler,,,, never rode the shore so cant really comment.
    I would love to buddy up at Whistler if I end up going. Be warned: Eventhough my overall riding skills are well above average, I'd be a total park noob. Tech skills pretty decent. Jump skills novice to intermediate at best.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I would love to buddy up at Whistler if I end up going. Be warned: Eventhough my overall riding skills are well above average, I'd be a total park noob. Tech skills pretty decent. Jump skills novice to intermediate at best.
    you havnt seen me ride yet ha ha. i am no gwinny or peaty ha ha, just like having fun on my bike.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    so, at face value its an easy choice...but did you say "drive home 1100 miles on Sunday"? that's a tough day. that's around 20 hours travel time, each way. that would be the only thing that would sway my decision. absolutely brutal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    holy crap,,,,, i just re read the op, didnt realise you were gonna drive that far, 1100 miles is a serious road trip to do in one go, thats gonna be alot of redbulls and proplus tabs,,,,

Pivotal figure
    Whistler is SO much more appealing than Interbike, or Vegas at any time really....
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Whistler.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Whistler for sure. I am from Northern Utah, I have rode lots of stuff in Southern Utah, rode Bootleg, they are fun and I enjoy them. However I just got back from Whistler for the first time and I can pretty honestly say I am not excited to ride anything we have in our area or even Southern Utah, Other than Moab, I havent been on a bike there yet (weird I know).

Whistler will change your outlook on biking, You think biking is fun?! Its way more fun at whistler... Even the trail bike stuff is amazing. We didnt get a chance to ride Squamish or the shore but have heard tons of good things.

If you an handle that drive it is definitely worth it.
    Want a one of a kind bike? Message me for a one of a kind paint job.

The internet is a tough place to ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    so, at face value its an easy choice...but did you say "drive home 1100 miles on Sunday"? that's a tough day. that's around 20 hours travel time, each way. that would be the only thing that would sway my decision. absolutely brutal.
    holy crap,,,,, i just re read the op, didnt realise you were gonna drive that far, 1100 miles is a serious road trip to do in one go, thats gonna be alot of redbulls and proplus tabs,,,,

Yeah, that's where the "Am I crazy?" part comes in.

I could leave Whistler Saturday evening and knock out 3-4 (or 5) hours before getting too sleepy to proceed. That would "only" leave me 15-16 hours on Sunday.

I'm going to be worthless at work on Monday.... that's for dang sure. Tired as all get-out and basking in the post Whistler glow.
    Last edited by KRob; 08-20-2012 at 11:43 AM.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Krob....you have the best I-bike ride reports on the web....selfishly speaking you should go to I-bike.

Driving aside, Whistler will obviously be more fun for you....but lets not make this all about you and enjoying your life...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnyg801 View Post
    Whistler for sure. I am from Northern Utah, I have rode lots of stuff in Southern Utah, rode Bootleg, they are fun and I enjoy them. However I just got back from Whistler for the first time and I can pretty honestly say I am not excited to ride anything we have in our area or even Southern Utah, Other than Moab, I havent been on a bike there yet (weird I know).

Whistler will change your outlook on biking, You think biking is fun?! Its way more fun at whistler... Even the trail bike stuff is amazing. We didnt get a chance to ride Squamish or the shore but have heard tons of good things.

If you an handle that drive it is definitely worth it.
    So if I go to whistler it will ruin me for all other trails? Maybe that's not such good thing.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by string View Post
    Krob....you have the best I-bike ride reports on the web....selfishly speaking you should go to I-bike.

Driving aside, Whistler will obviously be more fun for you....but lets not make this all about you and enjoying your life...
    Thanks string. There's some cool bikes coming out this year that I'd really like test. Plus it seems like every time I miss, Noel comes out with something surprising.

Nothing wrong with the ibike/Moab trip and it ends up being pretty cheap too. I stay with my father-in-law in Vegas and either camp or stay with friends in moab so my chilcotin fund wouldn't take too big of a hit.

Tough decision. Life-altering riding is hard to pass up though.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Hopefully you have a passport?

mtbr member
    Hopefully you have a passport?
    Yes..... AND no priors!

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    would flying be a viable option,,,,, just thinking its better to spend a few hours on a plane than all them hours on the road, it's bad enough for me coming from the uk 9 hour flight then 2 hour (ish) drive to whistler.

mtbr member
    would flying be a viable option,,,,, just thinking its better to spend a few hours on a plane than all them hours on the road, it's bad enough for me coming from the uk 9 hour flight then 2 hour (ish) drive to whistler.
    I'm so far from a major airport (4 hours) that I almost never fly unless there's an ocean or a whole continent separating me and my destination. If I can get there by car in a day (or two) I'd much rather drive. Plus then I don't have to worry about car rentals, bike packing, airport delays, security, etc, etc. I'll bet it would still be a 10-12 hour ordeal getting from my house to Whistler by plane....easy.

My car also gives me a place to sleep/camp and I have space to bring tools, spare parts, tires, two bikes, etc.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Thanks string. There's some cool bikes coming out this year that I'd really like test. Plus it seems like every time I miss, Noel comes out with something surprising.

Nothing wrong with the ibike/Moab trip and it ends up being pretty cheap too. I stay with my father-in-law in Vegas and either camp or stay with friends in moab so my chilcotin fund wouldn't take too big of a hit.

Tough decision. Life-altering riding is hard to pass up though.
    Your other option is to go early or later when Noel is not at I-bike and see if you can't ride some of his toys in Canada.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'm so far from a major airport (4 hours) that I almost never fly unless there's an ocean or a whole continent separating me and my destination. If I can get there by car in a day (or two) I'd much rather drive. Plus then I don't have to worry about car rentals, bike packing, airport delays, security, etc, etc. I'll bet it would still be a 10-12 hour ordeal getting from my house to Whistler by plane....easy.

My car also gives me a place to sleep/camp and I have space to bring tools, spare parts, tires, two bikes, etc.
    airpoint,,, makes sense i suppose, and it will probably be cheaper to drive than pay the ridiculous price of airfares these days.
    4 hours to the nearest major airport,,,,, where do you live,,,,,, i guess i am lucky only living 20 mins from manchester airport, but then again compared to you guys the uk is such a tiny place, heathrow would only be about 3 hours, ( on a good day traffic dependant ha ha)

mtbr member
    Go to Whistler, ride your bike hard, drink beer at the Brewhouse, thank me later.

My wife and I went there in late July. Absolute great fun. I really like your interbike write-ups, but Whistler is just so good.
    Check out my You Tube Channel

This place needs an enema
    Go north, middle-aged man.

You'll never go to Interbike again.

Only change I'd make to your plan is to skip the enduro, and maybe even skip one or the other of Squamish or the Shore to give yourself more time at Twizzler.

Oh, and push it back to last week of Sept/first week of Oct. Then invite me...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Go north, middle-aged man.

You'll never go to Interbike again.

Only change I'd make to your plan is to skip the enduro, and maybe even skip one or the other of Squamish or the Shore to give yourself more time at Twizzler.

Oh, and push it back to last week of Sept/first week of Oct. Then invite me...
    That's funny you should mention that. I was just about to shoot you an e-mail and suggest you go with me. That week doesn't work for you?

Hmm. I may have to look at that. I've had this week scheduled off for a couple months now but I may be able to move things. That last week in Sept/first week in Oct isn't too late weatherwise?

One of my other options would be to do I-bike dirt demo M-Tu then Mammoth Wed-Th, Tahoe Friday-Saturday.

That way I'd get some park/lift assisted experience without the super long drive. I know Mammoth/Tahoe aren't on par with Whistler, but might be a reasonable compromise (?).

www.stuckinthespokes.com

That's funny you should mention that. I was just about to shoot you an e-mail and suggest you go with me. That week doesn't work for you?

Hmm. I may have to look at that. I've had this week scheduled off for a couple months now but I may be able to move things. That last week in Sept/first week in Oct isn't too late weatherwise?

One of my other options would be to do I-bike dirt demo M-Tu then Mammoth Wed-Th, Tahoe Friday-Saturday.

That way I'd get some park/lift assisted experience without the super long drive. I know Mammoth/Tahoe aren't on par with Whistler, but might be a reasonable compromise (?).
    It's a funny thing about compromise--if you go in knowing it's going to be one, it just never seems to scratch the itch.

IMO, anyway.

But keep in mind that I get my fair share of dry/dusty/rocky/high desert riding in every year regardless, so Bootleg/Mammoth/N* hold zero appeal to me. No need to drive many hours and pay $$$ when I can get that stuff out the back door.

We did late Sept/early Oct last year. Potential for more rain for sure, but if you're dressed for it it's no biggie. I got some ~$20 vinyl 'raingear' from my local hunt/fish supply and that took care of everything but goggles. You do need to devote a little extra time to drying things out every night, either that or deal with the stink and discomfort of putting on cold/nappy gear every AM.

Most of the park actually rides better when wet--counterintuitive tho that may seem.

Unfortunately I committed to a trip ~2 months ago that's Sept 12-20, and it's boogered up a heap of other plans already. If I'm going to get a BC fix this year, it's gotta be early Oct. WBP is open til the 8th.

Can be done in a looooong day to get back to Ely from BC, but if you do as you suggested above--drive some after lifts close on your last day, then continue in the AM, it's actually not too bad.

Feel free to ping me if you want to continue this offline. info at lacemine29 dot com

MC

In the event that words aren't convincing enough:

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/31504662?byline=0&amp;color=ffffff" width="800" height="450" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast