mtbr member

Intense M-9 broken shock

Has anything like this happened to anyone else's M-9? I landed a little hard off a jump, and destroyed my rear shock. The impact didn't seem that bad except for the loud bang of the shock detonating. The shock hit bottom so hard that the shaft snapped off & was shoved into the main body. I don't think the shock is to blame as I've landed harder on bigger jumps with my previous frame (the M-9 is new, I had a 951). Also, I don't think I was running too soft of a spring as per Intenses' website suggests for my weight a 450lb spring, I tend to run heavier springs since the faster & bigger you go, you tend to need a stronger spring (currently using a 550lb spring). I was just curious if any other M-9 owners have had any issues with bottoming out their frames, or damaging their shocks.

Intense M-9 broken shock-21366927_1173258746141004_8402242607046481751_o.jpgIntense M-9 broken shock-21319256_1173258689474343_7987184683358699697_o.jpgIntense M-9 broken shock-21248330_1173258636141015_1644089018774258142_o.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Never seen that, or heard about that on an M9. You say you're running the proper spring rate right? ...even at the higher travel setting??
    Last edited by Christopher Robin; 09-05-2017 at 08:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I don't have an M9, but I did break the shock on my YT a few weeks ago. This is my 3rd season on the bike/shock, and like you, landed a little hard on a jump I hit regularly. Loud bang and the shock was done. Snapped the shaft right at the bottom. It was a Kage RC that was barely still under warranty so SRAM replaced it with a Vivid R2C.

Intense M-9 broken shock-kage-rc-1.jpgIntense M-9 broken shock-kage-rc-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Damn! Yeah, that's what my shock looks like right now. I really didn't think this was even possible, thought the frame would break before the shock would.......

Proud lame eBiker
    Misaligned frame causing side loading on shock which in turn caused major binding as you get deep in the travel.

One possible cause....
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

old school...
    Misalignement was also my first thought.

Maybe the outer diameter of the spring is too large and the spring hits to the frame when bottoming out, pushing the piston shaft end of the shock and spring plate from the side causing the shaft to snap? There seems to be a small dent in the pictures where the spring might have been hit.

Other reason might be that the spring ends are not in parallel when spring bottoms out, causing uneven load to spring plate at the piston shaft end.
    Shock should bottom out at the shock body (at hydraulic or rubber bump stop) before the spring bottoms out. Spring should not bottom out at all.
    I love the smell of TF2 chain lube in the morning.

May The Force Be With You
    happened to me once in 2001. but to be fair, it was with my Schwinn 4Banger and i was bombing down Keystone's Cowboy Up(or cowboy down, or both(?))as if i had a DH bike. it was a rocksox couple deluxe which was an upgrade from the one previous that I blew seals out of. I ended up replacing it with a Risse Racing Jupiter 5 with more tuning options and never had any other problems. limited shock options back then

'11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

itunes sucks
    Dec 2009
    That 450lb a ti renton (rcs) by chance? Had two different 450lb renton coil springs that bowed and would hit the sealhead when compressed...didn't happen on several other rcs, only those 450lb for some reason
    video=youtube;][/video]...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J: View Post
    That 450lb a ti renton (rcs) by chance? Had two different 450lb renton coil springs that bowed and would hit the sealhead when compressed...didn't happen on several other rcs, only those 450lb for some reason
    Nope, it's a DSP (Diverse suspension) 550lb spring. Intense recommends a 450lb for my weight, but it felt way too soft and typically the faster & harder you ride, the heavier the spring.

Turns out the shaft broke because it had seen excessive use (was purchased used) and most metals have a fatigue life, (the more it's used the less it returns to normal).

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I've had 2 friends break a shaft on their M9, one of them broke 2 shocks on his.

The M9 has a very progressive travel, so shocks that are known to have weak shafts tend to not do so well on the M9. It looks like you're running the Elka Stage 5, which has been known to break the shaft pretty easily. I broke one on my '13 Jedi.

Get a good new shock like the X2 or something from DVO or X-Fusion

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRage43 View Post
    ...The M9 has a very progressive travel, so shocks that are known to have weak shafts tend to not do so well..
    the likelihood of minor frame misalignment doesn't help...