Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Intense EX DC Light/ Edge Light/ System 4 Light?

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Hardtails Are Better 
#1 ·
I'm looking for some new tires for my Bottle Rocket. Basically it gets used as an AM/ mini DH bike, and I'd like something that's got a decent combination of weight and toughness. The Intense DC Light tires caught my eye. A search didn't turn up much info though. Anyone have experience?

#2 ·
Love them

I am running a 909 ex/dc lite front in 2.5 and an edge 2.35 on the rear. Similar sort of setup. Canfield Balance that I trail ride a ton as well as jump and DH. Wanted stiff sidewall but not kill me on climb heavy. It is single ply but intense singles are solid. Absolutely love this tire setup and have converted 2 more of my buddies to run the same setup. Two thumbs up for your choice here.

#8 · (Edited)
Hardtails Are Better said:
I'm looking for some new tires for my Bottle Rocket. Basically it gets used as an AM/ mini DH bike, and I'd like something that's got a decent combination of weight and toughness. The Intense DC Light tires caught my eye. A search didn't turn up much info though. Anyone have experience?
I love my System 4s. Very tough - never a pinch or thorn in a year. I run the regular sys4 in the back and the DC in the front. The regular is actually slightly higher volume and knobs are a bit bigger - and more squared profile. Very versitile tread. But I am more of an AM guy.

System 4 regular in the front was not so good. But I love the slow rebound rubber the DC has on the sides for the front. It is so goopy, when I press a fingernail into it the mark does not go away for a long time. Very cool to spec slow rebound instead of sticky rubber. Methinks I like it better.

P

#9 ·
Full on DH worthy, depends on rider

Single ply sidewalls are stout, but I would hesitate to use them on a dedicated DH rig. Front would be no issue but I would worry about the rear if I was really hammering the rocks. I think they are best as a tire for that bike where you put downhill as the priority but still have to do the earning the old fashioned way. I've been doing a lot of jumping though and sidewalls are definitely holding up to it. May not be a problem at all, especially if you are lighter/smoother.

#10 ·
Mikey_C said:
are the sidewalls DH worthy??

looking for something that will roll a bit faster than nevegals with enough bite and these seem to fit the bill
The Lites are a thicker sidewall than a non UST Kenda and Maxxis. As far as a true DH tire , I guess that depends on your riding style. I use mine for everday riding and they are very grippy and will wear fast. If your intent is to run them for DH racing then I would get the 2 ply for about 200-250 grams more in weight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.