Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Input on a pump track? (sort of long post)-X-POST FROM URBAN/DJ/PARK FORUM

3K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  tibug 
#1 · (Edited)
Alright, so here's the deal. We'll probably be buying some new property soon, and whatever, wherever it is, it will have a lot of land (at least as much as a lot is here in NE CT; not much I guess with taxes as they are). My 2 stepbrothers do motocross and they'll need room to build their trails, and I do bmx/mountain, so I need my room. Anyway, I would like to hear some pump track design specifications from you guys, specifically roller height and the gaps between the rollers and berm size, and lengths of sections. I would like to have a track that I can pump the whole thing if I want to, but also be able to jump at least a few places in the track and anytime I can manual part of it, it's a definite plus. It'd be awesome if a section of it could be medium size dirtjumps incorporated into the rest of the track also. I'd like to cut as few trees a possible, and make the ones that I leave a benefit to the track. I'm thinking a sort of mini-mountaincross track is what I want? Also, it'll probably be in the woods, so it'd be cool if could incorporate the pump track into it (using the roots as support for my rollers instead of going through them, etc...). I don't think space is much of an issue, but it can't be that massive.

Specifics are appreciated, and pictures and blueprints are even better. Tips on drainage and dirt types (I might have to buy dirt... )are also welcome. I've been to leelikesbikes.com, and am considering purchasing his book...any reason why I shouldn't?

Thanks in advance:thumbsup: ,
Tim

See less See more
#3 ·
you tube it... there are a lot of pump tracks on their... I just got finished building one, but near the college I go to (about 4 hours from here) so I don't have any pics.

I like to use the bike as my tape measure... make the roller (and valley) as long as the wheel base... so from the peek of one roller to the peak of the other would be about 84 inches (if the wheel base is about 42)

I have found that you really don't want them any closer, there just isn't enough room to "pump"

Another factor is to very the heights of the rollers... if you have a line of 7 you can make every other one deep (start shallow) this will make it possible to later link that line into three doubles.

The one that I built was shaped like an oval with a figure eight deal going through it... so that you could reverse directions without having to stop...

EDIT--- the max difference between the peak of one roller and the valley should be NO more than 3 ft... 2 is good about 18" seems to be the best.

Just build one and play around with it... it sounds like you have the resources... so enjoy riding.

#4 ·
Excellent advice guys, thanks a lot! :thumbsup: Novato kid, those are some nice tracks! How's the berm in the first one; do you have enough speed to rail it good? I'm very much a noob at pump tracks, but that berm looks kind of broad and shallow...please correct me if I'm wrong. Mwehahaha gave pretty much all I needed:thumbsup:, except I think I need some more information on berms. Your personal opinions are welcomed..anything helps!

Tim

#7 ·
novato kid said:
Well those berms were about 3 feet tall so we didn't have to dig down as much, only about 6 inches. It flew really well, and before the rain came some guys were doubling the pumps.
Sorry, by shallow I meant how far back the berm went, but it seems like it was an awesome track, so I guess I was wrong in my assessment.:thumbsup:

Tim

#10 ·
zachdank said:
Pumptracks
Build real trails, and put some sick rollers and burms in between.
Now there's an idea...I'm definitely gonna do that.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: It would be dumb to build just a flat pump track with the hills we got in New England. I'll build real trails with pumping sections, maybe a wallride or two, and maybe even a northshore section. I guess I'm just so used to living on less than 1 acre that I don't realize the possibilities.

Thanks zackdank.:thumbsup:

Tim

#13 · (Edited)
My track is a couple days away from bing complete, been working on it for two weeks. I started by digging it with a quad (Yamaha Blaster) this is the initial lay out.
http://www.youtube.com/watchv=vPozNAwqaio
Now I'm using a pick, shovels ( spade, flat, and snow), rakes ( rock and leaf), wheel barrel and a chainsaw.I have one more hip landing on the second double to build and a step up to step down tabletop. I will post a preview in a couple of days.

#16 ·
leelikesbikes said:
Hi all, I hope this doesn't cross some kind of self-promotional line, but ...

Welcome to Pump Track Nation has detailed specs.

http://www.leelikesbikes.com/ebook-welcome-to-pump-track-nation

A whole lot of people have been stoked on their $9.99 investment.

1 ... 2 ... 3 ... PUMP IT!
Awesome to see the Man posting here. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Appreciate all the advise you gave me for my pump track :cornut::cornut: even if you didnt get back on the drainage question :devil: Just funnin ya :lol: Saw Jason Smith last weekend still racing moto!! :cool:

#17 ·
leelikesbikes said:
Hi all, I hope this doesn't cross some kind of self-promotional line, but ...

Welcome to Pump Track Nation has detailed specs.

http://www.leelikesbikes.com/ebook-welcome-to-pump-track-nation

A whole lot of people have been stoked on their $9.99 investment.

1 ... 2 ... 3 ... PUMP IT!
No crossing lines, just wonderful to have your insight here on MTBR, Keep up the great work!:thumbsup:

#20 ·
Roaming Oregon said:
Trail bait- that look alright... looks like you have enough room to make it steeper and deeper...
I just rode it fior the first time since the rains tonight, I got lights for it too, pretty soon the whole thing will light up at night. I would love to have you ride it and get some suggestions. PM for directions. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.