Thread: im curious

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

im curious

How do you define what a great dh bike is? I hear so many different opinions on these forums and was curious how people straight up define what makes a bike excellent to them.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Like a race bike?

Slack, stiff, plush

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The reason is, ive ridden bikes from the top 3 and their dh bikes all feel great to me and very comparable. yet people seem to be so passionate about their particular bike and talk how its so much better than everything else out there. So what am i not feeling?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by norcalenduro View Post
    The reason is, ive ridden bikes from the top 3 and their dh bikes all feel great to me and very comparable. yet people seem to be so passionate about their particular bike and talk how its so much better than everything else out there. So what am i not feeling?
    Their ego. A lot of people like/own a certain brand and are loyal to it since that's what they ride and are used to. Yes, there's definitely better and worse DH bikes out there, but there's lots of offerings out there these days that are quite good. At the end of the day being comfortable on your bike and having it tuned for your riding style matters more than which of the top models truly performs 5% better.

To me a good DH bike should rail corners and stay stable and fast through rough sections. It should track well and provide traction where other bikes wouldn't. I personally also like it to jump well since I enjoy that aspect. I could describe characteristics that might make certain bikes ride this way, but it's all theory until you get on the bike and see how it rides for ya.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    In order of preference(more or less):
    1. Fun to ride
    2. Confidence enspiring
    3. easy to ride at the limit
    4. Strong/Stiff/reliable
    5. Good build quality
    6. easily serviced
    7. Good value

I don't think that any of the bikes I've ridden to date really excel at all of these things, but the good ones definitely have elements of all of those categories. Of course there will be tradeoffs among them from one frame to another.

Look at the time!
    8. can't be flexy
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    all depends on the type of riding you do. My bullit is great for me, I ride hard

staike
    How do you define what a great dh bike is?
    The lightest one.

Glad to Be Alive
    everyone has different opinions....so there are different top bikes
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    my guess, is that if you think there are a top three, you don't have alot of experience (particularly if you couldn't tell much of a difference). Not trying to be a dick, and I don't think you're less of a rider or person because of it. I'm confidant you have just as much fun as anybody else.

Everybody has their own top three. Whether its because you don't have alot of experience and your basing it off marketing, race results, or its because you have tons of experience and know exactly what you like, or because you just like the certain look of a particular bike, you're going to see a lot of different top 3 lists.

I can tell the difference between 5-10mm of chainstay length, of 5mm of top tube, a degree of HA, of .3 inches of BB height, of where the balance point in the suspension is, of how a bike pedals, of how it jumps, to how to setup a shock best for that bike and where I want to sit/ride on the bike. And there are people who can do that way the hell better then I can I'm sure. But small and subtle differences to somebody who simply doesn't have as much ride time might be lost on somebody else, and vise versa for somebody with alot more ride time then me. I have particular wants in a bike. You wont see me buying a jedi or banshee, because I don't like such a rearward axle path. But you see tons of guys going ridiculously fast on them because they do like such a rearward axlepath. I like bikes like the demo, the session, the tr450, and the DHR, pumpy and poppy and easy to dig deep in corners. Other people like bikes like the m6, m9, v10, and older glory, that are built for monstertrucking over everything and making everything seem smooth and easy. Somebody with short legs and a long torso may love the older demos, and hate the new glorys.

There are a whole hell of alot of subtle factors that go into affecting how a DH bike rides. Some people are better at noticing those then others, and some people are better about articulating their likes and dislikes. Also, different people prefer and feel comfortable riding DH bikes different ways. Some bikes have great payoffs once you learn how to ride them, but aren't as easy to hop on and have it feel natural. There are no "best bikes" out there. At this point, there are only a few that aren't great bikes, and they're still pretty damn good. But you will hear certain bikes recommended alot because they're really easy and really fun for anybody to hop on and learn quickly and easily, like the demo, the session, the dhr (old or new) or the tr450.

mtbr member
    It says Santa Cruz on the downtube.

mtbr member
    If your favorite world cup rider rides one....
    I'm [SIZE="4"]GNARcissistic[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    It's personal preferance. Over a certain pricepoint there are no really bad bikes ride wise. Just some that suit you more or less.

Also there are some non ride issues with the big 3 comps. For me the demo lost it when it had problems with fox fork, some shocks and some hubs, glory is just too damn light for a dh bike and with a flat downtube it dents easily and trek is not rearward enough and also too light (unless you go carbon which is still unprooven though it worries me their carbon dh bike weights as much as a nomad carbon - an all mountain bike).
    I like my legend because it is totally bombproof, super stiff and is the most hasslefree bike I have ever tried or any of my friends have tried. I also prefer more rearward suspension for the moments where plowing is the only option. None of the big 3 are really rearward
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland