mtbr member

I'm back. Discuss my x-rays.

Haven't been here in a while... too depressing. I'm a lousy spectator. If I can't play, I don't want to hear about all the rest of you who can.

Broke my wrist at Fontana the 2nd race of the season.

Broke it Saturday at the end of the day, but just thought it was a bad sprain, so I wrapped it in ice and went back to race on Sunday. OK, so I have a pretty high pain threshhold. I raced DH and then Super D, then the adrenaline wore off and I got more ice and ibuprofin.

Went to visit medical the following Tuesday (1/31/06) when the bruising and swelling continued. The guys in orthopedics told me it was an "impressive break". I argued that it was just a bad sprain. Doc pointed out the floating piece of bone in the x-ray. I had sheared the end clean off the radius. This meant surgery the following day to insert screws and a plate. He said I would be off the bike till the end of May. I didn't believe him till recently. A month in a cast followed by a month of some of the most painful rehab imaginable, and I'm still just barely at the flexibility and strength necessary to function normally.

(in case the image doesn't appear: http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i8..._before_1a.jpg)

And put back together again. A little more for airport security to worry about...

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i8...rist_after.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i8...01_wrist_1.jpg

Yep. It's about as painful as it looks.

So I haven't been around to enjoy the banter and the stories and the pi$$ing contests... because I didn't want to be reminded that I couldn't ride.

But I just got cleared today to ride on the road - smooth surfaces only for now, lest I rattle anything loose (or take another fall). I'm ahead of schedule rehab-wise. Looks like I MIGHT be cleared for Fontana Nationals after all.

So, I'm on my way back!

-sunny .
    Last edited by sunnyracegirl; 06-13-2006 at 01:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Damn Sunny, sorry to hear about that, get well soon!

mtbr member
    I have a bone fragment floating in my left ankle right now and it still hurts bad, 7 weeks after my incident. I can't imagine the pain you were feeling with your wrist. Man, the amount of metal in your wrist in crazy. I am glad you're on your way back.

mtbr member
    WOW, we can rebuild you. we have the technology.

get better!

ride hard take risks
    Come on up & join the fun at the Otter, beer, fun, food, fun, beer, fun, bikes, fun. They have great spectating & you can yell at everyone telling them how slow they are & you'll have to come out with a busted wrist & show them how it's done. Heal well & strong.

abolisher of A$$holes
    Glad to see you're on your way to recovery...I'm sure you'll heal and be back on the DH long before they think you will...the mind is powerful...but you know that...

hope they let you off work and we get to enjoy that beer and calamari together!!!

just had to say...DANG...I didn't think your break was that extensive for screws and plates...you're a tough cookie...
    I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions --but I don't always agree with them.
    George Bush, US President

Yay! Bikes !
    broken bones suck, and being off the bike sucks worse.
    remember that you will be as good as new and back in the saddle soon.

until then read this ...
    http://www.boredomag.com/Boredom/Issue2/LisaStory1.htm

(article starts in the middle of the issue, click the pics to advance page)

keep your chin up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick.
    broken bones suck, and being off the bike sucks worse.
    remember that you will be as good as new and back in the saddle soon.

until then read this ...
    http://www.boredomag.com/Boredom/Issue2/LisaStory1.htm

(article starts in the middle of the issue, click the pics to advance page)

keep your chin up!
    Wow. I know Lisa. I had no idea it was that bad. Thanks for that perspective lesson. My chin is up.

notabouttoseeyourlight
    I'm glad to hear you're on the mend Laura! My little bro is just about in mtb shape again too, I think he'll be ready for the Fontucky Nationals if he chooses to race it. Look out for the ROGUE mountain bike apparel booth!!!!!
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

mtbr member
    dam that sucks...heal up soon and get back out there

USB Rep'n
    heal really fast girl! I know it blows to be in spectator mode but be smart (Im sure you know this, Im just reiterating a point). May seems a long way off but if you mess it up again, it could be December.

Be better!
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    heal up!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

huh...

I have the exact same thing in my right arm/wrist. Get better.

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Get well soon!!!

Looks like your doc put 2 links of a chain in your wrist. I guess that means thats good luck for you will race again!.

For Those About To Ride
    damn how could you ride with a broken bone?? my wrist is sprained and its two weeks later and i still cant ride cus it hurts to even grip the bar i cant even imagine rockgardsns...

mtbr member
    holy crap... you rode with that??? props
    "Better safe than scarry"

www.3dmtb.net

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by shook_dh
    damn how could you ride with a broken bone?? my wrist is sprained and its two weeks later and i still cant ride cus it hurts to even grip the bar i cant even imagine rockgardsns...
    It's all in the mind shook_dh.

SNOWRIDER
    We may have wanted to see you out of your clothes girl, but not like that

Healing vibes = get well soon
    "If you don't go [skibiking] this year, you'll be at least one year older when you do." ~ Warren Miller
    (Check out the 'IMPACT' video for some skibike footage)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte
    heal really fast girl! I know it blows to be in spectator mode but be smart (Im sure you know this, Im just reiterating a point). May seems a long way off but if you mess it up again, it could be December.

Be better!
    Thanks.

When I protested the amount of time off the bike, the doc looked at me and said, "This is your only right wrist. People get debilitating arthritis for much less than what you have done. It may seem like a long time, but it is a small slice of time from your life, and you are barely half-way through it. It's your choice."

I have scrupulously followed his instructions, and had resigned myself to spin class for the months of April and May. But yesterday he said the x-ray looked really good, and that I can ride on the road as long as it's a good road. Too much vibration would not be good for the bones still healing. No mountain biking. He'll re-evaluate it in a month. I'm delirious with joy. I rode today for the first time in 2 months.

I told him about Fontana Nationals the first weekend of May. He said to come in that week, and he'll let me know if I'm safe to race that weekend. I'll prepare my heart for the worst, but hope for the best.

The last thing I want is prolonged healing because I went and did something stupid. This, I'm going to do right.

Glad to Be Alive
    arrrr...when ye a me ridin
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Ouch! I feel your pain, I broke my leg about a month ago and I'm going nuts not being able to ride. Doc says I've got another month in a cast and 1-2 months of physical therapy before I'm on a bike again. Positive healing vibes, from one cripple to another
    TWEEK'D GEAR
    Earth Friendly Riding Apparel
    www.tweekdgear.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Jeez Laura, you can't do anything small, can you?! Heck of a number they did to your wrist. Hang in there!! Chin up
    We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.

www.mtbnj.com

Members who have read this thread: 0