mtbr member
    Apr 2017

If I got a new bike..

I'm riding a 2012 SC V10. Love it even though it doesn't have the latest and greatest wheel set. I would consider myself somewhere between a beginner and intermediate rider, can go down most stuff but still periodically encounter runs that are too steep for me. And I cant really handle large 4'+ drop offs.

Thinking about getting a newer bike but I'm curious if you can really feel the difference between high ends bike frames or more specifically if I would. If I were to swap components from my V10 to a Demo 8 frame, trek session frame....etc I'm wondering if I could feel a significant difference. I am nowhere near riding my bike to it's limit and wonder if you can only feel the difference between frames once you are more proficient and can ride at expert levels.

What do you guys think?

mtbr member
    A v10 is a very capable bike and by no means low end. If you don't have any problems with sizing or feel but want to spend some money (I know this feeling all too well) I'd upgrade components.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '15 Deity Cryptkeeper
    '16 YT Tues
    '16 Banshee Rune
    '15 NS Essentric
    '15 Ibis HD3
    '14 Knolly Endorphin
    '08 Jamis Dakar

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Unless it's not sized correctly or has glaring safety issues; I'd recommend working on your skillset with the V10 you currently have. Put money towards coaching or lessons rather than a different frame.

I have a V10C and rode a Demo 8 but never felt comfortable in the air on the 8, ymmv.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKY View Post
    Unless it's not sized correctly or has glaring safety issues; I'd recommend working on your skillset with the V10 you currently have. Put money towards coaching or lessons rather than a different frame.
    Cant agree with this enough.

Phantastic79, you said you love your bike and you're not riding it to near it's limit, so I would recommend focusing on upgrading the rider not the bike.

Nothing wrong with wanting an upgrade, but honestly, if you're not doing 4+ foot drops on a V10, you're most likely not going to be doing 4+ foot drops on a Demo or Session.

Spending a day or two with a good coach can give a massive boost in confidence and skills. A good coach can also help you identify any issues with bike fit and suspension setup that may be holding you back.

Pro Crastinator
    maybe get rid of that 20lb electric motor strapped to it, it will ride a lot better then...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    you just got a case of upgraditis. It's like the common cold, we all get it throughout the year. No one is immune to it. Take a few ibprufens and ride that V10 more.Try to ride with guys with better skills than you and try to hit the closet bike park so you can get a bunch of runs in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks for the replies you guys. I definitely need to ride it more and upgrade myself. I think I do have a case of upgraditis that I'll have to try to suppress. Will look into coaching, didn't even realize that was an option.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    maybe get rid of that 20lb electric motor strapped to it, it will ride a lot better then...
    Actually it weighs like 8 lbs but the Battery in my backpack is like 10 so combined with the custom crankset its probably close to 20. I have to say being able to do more downhill runs in the same amount of time has allowed me to make exponential progress on my skills. A lot of steeper declines don't intimidate me as much anymore.

Currently when I ride my stock 2012 Nomad C I don't think I'm anymore maneuverable or faster on that than my V10. But again this is probably a skillset issue. Need to find a riding buddy so we can test the tow method with the eV10 and the Nomad so we can do more DH runs.

Glad to Be Alive
    the bike was the best of the best when it came out (do you have the Carbon Version or aluminum ??? - Carbon being lighter better) .... If you have the carbon version run it in 8 1/2 mode instead of 10 inch....the bike becomes more poppier and fun ....I wouldn't change a thing on it....
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    the bike was the best of the best when it came out (do you have the Carbon Version or aluminum ??? - Carbon being lighter better) .... If you have the carbon version run it in 8 1/2 mode instead of 10 inch....the bike becomes more poppier and fun ....I wouldn't change a thing on it....
    Thanks Brotha. I have the carbon version and it was set to 10 inches of travel when I bought it a few months ago. I left it that was since I assumed I may need the ground clearance but I'll try the 8.5 to see if I like it better.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantastic79 View Post
    Thanks Brotha. I have the carbon version and it was set to 10 inches of travel when I bought it a few months ago. I left it that was since I assumed I may need the ground clearance but I'll try the 8.5 to see if I like it better.
    8.5 has more ground clearance.....I loved that bike...less chain feed back then the 27.5...would be still riding it if it didn't break
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    8.5 has more ground clearance.....I loved that bike...less chain feed back then the 27.5...would be still riding it if it didn't break
    Wow....really? I had no idea 8.5 will give me more clearance. Have it in the shop now getting the fork serviced. Perhaps I'll ask them to change it to 8.5 as well. Thanks again.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantastic79 View Post
    Wow....really? I had no idea 8.5 will give me more clearance. Have it in the shop now getting the fork serviced. Perhaps I'll ask them to change it to 8.5 as well. Thanks again.
    so they change it...how do you like it ??

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I asked them to change it but LBS said that I would lose a little ground clearance if I went to 8.5. ive left it there at 10 for now since where I ride has some downed trees and other obstacles that I'm not as good jumping over. As I research it seems like 8.5 will give me better pop but I really need the clearance with a 48t chainwheel up front. I think I'll try the 8.5 setting when I take motor off for Northstar downhill run. Hoping to squeeze one in before summer is over. Bike feels even more phenomenal after fork service. The previous owner installed rebound damper wrong and my red knob was all discombobulated. It actually works now and fork feels much better now and I think my adjustments actually work. I still need to test it on the runs and get it dialed in just right.

On jumps my feet are coming off pedals but this may be due to technique more than fork.

He recommended I put in some time at the local BMX pump track so I can work on jumping technique. Think I'll have to do that after work this week.

Glad to Be Alive
    48 ??? switch to a 32-36

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    48 ??? switch to a 32-36
    I have 2 chainrings up front. 48t/13t to motor and 36t to the cassette.