mtbr member
    Apr 2007

I want that rat rod look!

I have definitly seen plenty of people "raw" their bikes and clear coat them (looks sweet). So the busch league purple paint on my (purple) nighttrain is chipped to hell making for tons of little rust spots. so that led me to start thinking about stripping the paint on my cro-mo frame and leaving it uncoated. and boom rat rod bike!

Doesnt seem like the best idea but sure would look sweet. Im sure its been done before anyone got anyone good picutes or links, or bad experiences for that matter?

Shred...it's the new drug
    here's a cro-mo frame I picked up from a local AZ builder for cheap...Soul Cycles Roscoe

I let it hang in the tree in the front yard for about a month getting sprayed every morning by the sprinklers. I also sprayed it down with a muratic acid and salt solution from time to time. It came out with a sweet rust finish that I then matte clear coated to keep the finish the same. As a pumptrack bike it really turns heads. I might do a little pin striping down the road once I get bored with it.
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

humber river advocate
    sweet! put some von dutch style artwork on it and it will be awesomesauce...
    bolton trail info
    bmbc1st @ yahoo.com
    support TORBA
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

The General
    The seat really compliments the rustic look.

Props on the rust job, it looks flawless.
    Ride or Die

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    yeah!!!! my wheels are white and green so it would look kinda the same too. Thanks thats really cool.

I dont know if I can go a month w/o my bike, I might strip it all off, build it back up than let time run its course.

Glad to Be Alive
    or get that rat rod look of the 50's by painting it flat black with a little white trim
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    or get that rat rod look of the 50's by painting it flat black with a little white trim
    I like this option better, both from a durability and sheer badassness standpoint. Somewhere around here there is a red black and white ratrod hardtail. It had a Monster T and it was an Evil frame. Does anyone have a pic of it?
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

mtbr member
    Seriously sweet. I love it!

boing
    Jan 2010
    Nice! It's amazing what people will do for the love of bikes.

mtbr member
    Painted this bike for a friend a few months ago. you could always go this route with no rust.

-

-

-

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    That is some really nice pinstriping work, I am thinking about doing something similar on my next bike.
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist