• 01-04-2013
    Uncle Six Pack
    I thought this was a joke...
    when I saw the vid on sicklines....

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/56506460" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

but then I checked the website Welcome to Flex stem for snickers n giggles and I don't even know what to think.

"A new flexible MTB stem, which makes the rider can do more easy downhill with more comfort and less fatigue." ...but I haven't seen anything much more awkward than what I saw in the video. I mean seriously, one time my brake levers weren't tightened down correctly on the first run of the morning and I damned near crapped myself when the front lever started moving.... this thing apparently lets your handlebar clamp float WHILE BRAKING?!?! "This a new flexible MTB stem(comming soon) which allow the rider can rotate the handle bar 8, 15 or 20 degree during his finger pressed on brake lever."

Perhaps Sam Hill jumped from Spec because they wouldn't spec it on his race bike?
  • 01-04-2013
    jmallory
    I just don't understand the benefit. And can that guy be more awkward down that rock garden?
  • 01-04-2013
    Rob-Bob
    Looks flexy.. ( couldnt resist)..What's next... Rubber handlebars?
  • 01-04-2013
    mbell
    All I saw was the flex in his chins.
  • 01-04-2013
    saturnine
    did it not bother anyone else that the timestamp is from 6 years into the future? this is clearly the best new product of 2019 and we should embrace it now in order to stay ahead of the curve. i see some of the R&D was done in 2015 so they've clearly put years of work into this.
  • 01-04-2013
    dwyooaj
    that was lame on so many levels
  • 01-04-2013
    jakester29959
    He's not even on a dh bike. Looks retarded ill pass
  • 01-04-2013
    supersedona
    Girvin Softride had a suspended/elastomer handlebar stem in the early days. Considered pretty advanced at the time...20 years ago.
  • 01-04-2013
    SteezusChrist
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mbell View Post
    All I saw was the flex in his chins.

Why you gotta play the race card?
  • 01-04-2013
    mtbnozpikr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jmallory View Post
    I just don't understand the benefit. And can that guy be more awkward down that rock garden?

I agree with you there. The phrase "solution looking for a problem" comes to mind...
  • 01-04-2013
    aedubber
    You do know this is NOT the 29er forum right ? jk ! LMAOO holy fuk ! that just wasted 5 minutes of my life i swear lol and that tool looked so shook on his bike and was inching down that shiittt hahaah.. Thats a great FAIL video haha.
  • 01-04-2013
    arkon11
    This looks like a great way to injure your wrists.
  • 01-05-2013
    SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    roookies...I want more control not play
  • 01-05-2013
    cyclelicious
    Flex stem is old technology, Maybe someone found boxes of that junk in a warehouse somewhere.
  • 01-05-2013
    Mr.Magura
    Wow, time flies. April the 1st. already?

Magura :)
  • 01-05-2013
    LaXCarp
    If this stem helps me ride like him than I am sold, I'll take one in black
  • 01-05-2013
    singlesprocket
    makes sense for a rigid 29er...

http://mombat.org/192Flexstem.jpg
  • 01-06-2013
    #Cyclelife
    Not sure what was more silly. That dumb ass flex stem or watching that rider. I'm sure he would have done better with a normal/solid stem (insert roll eyes here). Bwahhhhh
  • 01-06-2013
    Aotearoa706
    I sold a crap load of those Girvin Flexstems back in the day!
    When high end forks only had 63mm of travel this was the way to go!
  • 01-06-2013
    slimphatty
    LOL @ the riding in the vid
  • 01-07-2013
    rideitall
    That flex stem is built by a rider for riders. I am sure that this will sell to a certain bike crowd.

For me I will stay far away from that mess of a product.
  • 01-07-2013
    FMX_DBC
    So you can change the angle of the bars...but his bars were flat! LOL He wasn't exactly Sam Hill either...
  • 01-07-2013
    bad andy
    you know there was a time people laughed at those Wright Brothers dudes ;)
  • 01-07-2013
    reformed roadie
    If he just cuts those bars down a little it will be all good...:thumbsup:

As someone who's been around since that flex stem was the latest technology, I have to say the yoots of today have it too good.
  • 01-07-2013
    bikeabuser
    Marketing sells ... You people are just too smart at shopping ;)