mtbr member
    Mar 2011

New question here. I need pro advice(Voodoo Ogun, Boxxer Fork?)

hey guys. i was pretty active on mtbr a couple of years ago and it was always great help. unfortunately i don't remember what my user-name was so i just made a new one lol. so i just picked up a BoXXer on eBay for 300 bucks. I'm not even sure if it will work on my ride it just seemed like a good deal. i have a Voodoo Ogun i built up a couple of years ago. i bought everything but the front fork which i just took off my old rig. now were planning a trip to Moab and i need a serious DH fork.

anyways my questions are:

1. does anyone know if it will fit
    2. what additional components will i have to buy? (hub? different brake?)
    3. it's used, should i rebuild it?
    4. any ideas on what year/model it is? and did i get a good deal regardless?

i currently have avid disk brakes on the front and a normal hub.

any help would be appreciated guys, sorry for the noob questions but I'm ready to push the limits with this thing : )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I need pro advice(Voodoo Ogun, Boxxer Fork?)-boxxer1.jpg  

I need pro advice(Voodoo Ogun, Boxxer Fork?)-boxxer2.jpg  

I need pro advice(Voodoo Ogun, Boxxer Fork?)-boxxer3.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

Picture Unrelated
    I would suspect that a dual crown fork will endanger the headtube of your Voodoo. Best way to get an answer is to email or call Voodoo, they're the ones who should know.

What fork is currently on the bike? I would go find a 6" fork to match your rear suspension travel, Moab isn't really the place to need a DC fork with what I assume to be 8" of travel.

To know what else you need to buy: what brakes do you have, what rotor size, do you have a 20mm thru-axle hub currently, will the steerer tube even fit in your bike? I would rebuild it, but only if it fits the bike. Sounds like you're opening a can of worms. I would search for a more appropriate fork.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    hey zebrahum
    Ride or die

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    thankyou for the response.

voodoo oguns are built downhill bikes. the steer tube is heavily reinforced with extra welds and plates. im not to worried about it damaging it because i have seen many pics of oguns with dual crown forks.

i thought you were always supposed to have more front travel than rear travel. i just bought a loco front wheel with a 20mm thru hub.so now im just wondering if my existing brakes will work with the fork.

as for the moab trip were planing on hitting up some of the hardcore DH trails so i want to be ready. we plan on taking jeeps to the top and bashing down so im not too worried about the climb up

im prepared to go thru a little work to get the fork working so any other advice would be appreciated.
    Ride or die

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by VoodooOrDie
    thankyou for the response.

voodoo oguns are built downhill bikes. the steer tube is heavily reinforced with extra welds and plates. im not to worried about it damaging it because i have seen many pics of oguns with dual crown forks.

i thought you were always supposed to have more front travel than rear travel. i just bought a loco front wheel with a 20mm thru hub.so now im just wondering if my existing brakes will work with the fork.

as for the moab trip were planing on hitting up some of the hardcore DH trails so i want to be ready. we plan on taking jeeps to the top and bashing down so im not too worried about the climb up

im prepared to go thru a little work to get the fork working so any other advice would be appreciated.
    What trails are you considering "hardcore DH" in Moab? Have you been before? I know there's some hush hush spots that are best ridden on DH bikes, but for the published trails, you'll suffer much more than it's worth to bring a big DC forked bike.

I am not familar with the Ogun, so I trust it will take a DC fork by your word and if you have a 20mm wheel then it sounds like you should at least give it a try. If you can find what year it is, I would suggest lowering the travel of the fork a bit to reign in the slack steering. I wouldn't say that "always supposed to have more front travel" isn't the rule, I'm actually running the opposite right now with 6" front and 7" rear and it's just fine; I think it depends more on the geometry of the bike.

And what brakes do you have? Impossible to say what will or will not fit if we don't know what brakes you're trying to put on with what rotor size.

Edit: It appears that your fork is probably around a 2004, making it 7" of travel.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    im running avid x7 brakes. but do DC forks take bigger than you're average size (8 in or something?) or will my existing brakes work. im currently deployed which is why i'm having trouble seeng if everything will fit.

as for more travel in the front my frame has a pretty agressive angle. i curntly have a rst gila on the front (5 inch travel) and it definately isn't working right. i took it off my last hardtail during the build bc i ran out of funds, havent taken my new build anywhere but a couple of woods trails/parks in SW iowa.

as for being to MOAB ive only passed through. i mostly go to Fruita for singletrack but i stll have my Voodoo Wanga Hardtail laying around for that.

Here Is a Pic of an Ogun so you can see what im talking about.

thanks for the help so far
    Ride or die

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    heres the pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I need pro advice(Voodoo Ogun, Boxxer Fork?)-voodooframe.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ride or die