Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

I love to Crash hard!

755 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Grantels 
#1 ·
I've recently started getting into a little bit of freeriding, and I have quickly learned that crashing is par for the course. Like this one ladder-to-rock drop. It's about a 4 1/2 - 5 foot driop, slight tranny. First four times, I fly off and land ok, but there wasn't a whole lot of runout, so I either endoed from grabbing brakes too hard or lay the bike down sideways to avoid a head-on collision with a tree. But now I'm getting worse...out of the last four attempts, I only crashed once. :D
I have found that protective gear is essential! I wear everything when I go out -- full face helmet, chest protector, arm and leg protection, even the padded shorts! And I make full use of it all, especially the full face! Slammed what would have been my face right into a large rock on one crash. But it's ok, so I just get back on my bike and try the same crazy stunt again.
Then I'm in DC jumping stairs and all sorts of other crazy stuff. Afterwards a friend points out that my frame was cracked! I had thought it was just a scratch in the paint :rolleyes: It had been there for a couple months! I'd been doing all this crazy jumping on a cracked frame! Now THAT would have been an awesome, though likely painful, crash if the bike had snapped in half while landing a drop.
So now I'm out of freeriding for a couple months until I can get a new bike, meanwhile I'm borrowing a friend's XC rig so I can at least ride. But that means no more crashes for a while :( oh, well.

Ride crazy, crash hard.

See less See more
#3 ·
I've been riding with a fractured elbow the last 2 months. I keep it well wrapped and under padding. Tonight, I hit a tree with the same elbow so that messed up my night. And since I couldn't hold the bar as tightly, I wen't shoulder first into another tree an hour later. Hey I had to get out of the woods, right? The good news is that, my bike suffered no hurt. So that means I can hurt myself a little more tomorrow night.

#5 · (Edited)
Crashing kinda comes with the territory... I dont like crashing and like braking my bike even less... I like progressing and getting better all the time, part of biking for me is pushing it and taking risks albeit calculated ones.... I hope to bike well until old age....so I try not to do anything to stupid..... but crashing is somthing that will happen and there isnt anything you or anyone can do except ware protection and learn how to "fall" correctly to minimize damage...

some of the major crashes they show in all the mtb bike videoes are crazy.....my body cant take abuse like that one or two big wipeouts and I am out for the day....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.