mtbr member

i know this might be a dumb question

hey guys anyone know what the difference is between the 2004 stinky and the 2004 stinky primo and dee-lux frames
    on bikepedia says the stinky is a 6 in rear travel bike and the primo and dee-lux is a seven inch travel frame
    i have an 04 stinky with dangerboy travel plates and a fox 4.0 shock and my wheel only travels 6 inchesi was wondering what i could do to get that extra inch out of the frame
    thanks for any input/info u guys could give me
    "look mom no hands"

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Never a stupid question...just stupid answeres! Unfortunitly I don't know much about Stinkys, other than the ones you smell. Most of my expertise is in identifing bikes that" looks flexy".

Did you try the Kona Forum?
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

Pro Crastinator
    rear shock with a longer stroke...

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim F. View Post
    Never a stupid question...just stupid answeres! Unfortunitly I don't know much about Stinkys, other than the ones you smell. Most of my expertise is in identifing bikes that" looks flexy".

?
    even fully drunked I find that hillarious
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Glad to Be Alive
    if I remember correctly I mostly it was component package that separated the the 3.

forks
    stinky had drop off
    dee lux had jr T
    primo had Super T

if you have the long travel plates then you should be getting 7 inches....take a picture of your bolt position....you might have one of the hook ups on the outside instead of the inside bolt pattern therefore setting it in a shorter distance. Maybe this is clearer essentially you think you want to attach the shock to the outside of the plates but in fact for travel you want it to the inside making longer travel....If you don't have two positions for shock then longer stroke of shock.....note you could get worse geometry and feel of bike.

Most of the time those plates bumped your travel up as soon as you put them on and then you would up spring by 50 lbs to compensate for the leverage
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    well i dont think i can squeez any more travel out of the frame as it sits the lower chain stays when full decompressed touch the bb part of the frame on the drive side
    the shock is mounted outside hole frame and plates so the holes closest to the fork
    "look mom no hands"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I know exactly what you mean about the chain stay hitting the BB...it drops really low on the drive side..
    I think you have about as much as you're gonna get out of that frame..
    You might get lucky and find a D or Primo the same year and go that route,but thats going to be difficult...
    If I were you, I'd either ride it that way you have it since you already have the Dangerboy plates
    if you really have your mind set on 7"?? sell your frame and look for a 2006 and up Stinky to replace yours
    i've seen some sell rerally cheap on pink bike...i'd avoid the 06 unless is has the updates rockers too..
    You can tell if they are updated because the plates will be solid,rather that milled cut-outs all the way through them(my 06 on pic below has the non-ungraded rockers)...goodluck...

the geometry on the 2006 and up are much better anyways IMO

i had a couple Stinky's back in the day...I couldn't break em

and it wasn't from not trying

i actually loved this bike notice the updated rockers in this pic the milled cut-outs are NOT milled all the way though..they stiffened up the back ALOT..
    Last edited by _rich_; 01-17-2013 at 12:00 PM.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by mudtoy1986 View Post
    well i dont think i can squeez any more travel out of the frame as it sits the lower chain stays when full decompressed touch the bb part of the frame on the drive side
    the shock is mounted outside hole frame and plates so the holes closest to the fork
    the mounting holes on the frame are for switching between linear and progressive. the front mount being for a linear setup and the rear for a progressive setup....
    the mounting holes on the rocker plates are for changing the amount of travel. the front mount is for less travel and the rear is for more travel...

mtbr member
    thanks for the replies guys
    i love the stinky pics how far was that drop rich
    "look mom no hands"