Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

I got $3K to spend ... Bike Suggestions?

I know this is very a cliche thing to ask on a forum but here goes... I got $3000 to spend on getting a FR/DH rig. I'm currently eyeballing the Specialized BigHit 3, Kona Operator DH and the Norco DH. Any other recommendations for that price range?

I will probably ride some of the local FR/Jump areas, do some shuttling and hit some bike parks this summer (Northstar, Park City, Sunrise, etc).

biking is fun
    If I had a budget of $3000 i would buy a really nice used DH/FR bike instead of an ok new one. There are a ton of great deals on used bikes right now.

Check out pinkbike, ridemonkey, and here. Maybe ebay even.

Maybe not the answer you were looking for though.

If i had to choose between those i would say the kona or norco

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba
    If I had a budget of $3000 i would buy a really nice used DH/FR bike instead of an ok new one. There are a ton of great deals on used bikes right now.

Check out pinkbike, ridemonkey, and here. Maybe ebay even.

Maybe not the answer you were looking for though.

If i had to choose between those i would say the kona or norco
    Ditto. Exactly what I was going to say. You can get a year or two old $6000 bike for $3000 these days.

Come at me bro.
    too many options to list for a used $3k bike..

mtbr member
    Good suggestion on the used bikes...

Moose Member
    What type of terrain are you going to ride? How hard? Steep and techy or jumps and drops? And where do you live?

Answering those will help.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyMonkey

Can U get another $100?

http://www.go-ride.com/SPD/ventana-e...1265998197.jsp

$3100 complete....

Pee's in the H8teraid
    Quote Originally Posted by ianjenn
    Can U get another $100?

http://www.go-ride.com/SPD/ventana-e...1265998197.jsp

$3100 complete....
    Killer deal..

Shred...it's the new drug
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey
    What type of terrain are you going to ride? How hard? Steep and techy or jumps and drops? And where do you live?

Answering those will help.
    Hopefully he'll be riding the chunky gnar and sending some big booters...right monkey??? I would suggest a used shocker or dhr...

Glad to Be Alive
    I have a 2010 Intense M-6 for sale....1950 shipped

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Kona Operator DH is going to be a big bike this year, the price point and known brand is going to temp a lot of people I think. Ok its not exactly world cup spec, but for the $$$ its good value and will do the job!

mtbr member
    http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...uct=59460&cat=

along with the 2009 Quakes that are 30% off MSRP

can sport some of the TBC close-outs too.
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

Nucking Futs
    Ok i'll be the one that'll say it's much more fun building your own bike, picking part's and putting it all together. That's assuming you are one of those techy freaks like me. However it's so expensive in comparison that you best forget about budget and stop thinking what you just spend top dollar on(I bet that sounds familiar to ALLOT of people here )

If you care less about building your own bike's and let your local bike shop change the inner tire, than yeah pick a decent used bike. But be warned it's not always as glamorous as it's made out to be, specially forks and shocks tend to be worn and need a full service quick, which cost a pretty penny. If there are more parts used often chances are they will need replacing within a season of riding, making the ride at the end of the year just as expensive if not more expensive than to buy a new one now.
    Amplify your Žide

Spitfire Amp Scythe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob
    Hopefully he'll be riding the chunky gnar and sending some big booters...right monkey??? I would suggest a used shocker or dhr...
    LDB is correct. Chunky Gnar, Big Booters, Northstar, Sunrise AZ... Maybe even Whistler if I can get my mom's timeshare this summer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneeck
    Ok i'll be the one that'll say it's much more fun building your own bike, picking part's and putting it all together. That's assuming you are one of those techy freaks like me. However it's so expensive in comparison that you best forget about budget and stop thinking what you just spend top dollar on(I bet that sounds familiar to ALLOT of people here )

If you care less about building your own bike's and let your local bike shop change the inner tire, than yeah pick a decent used bike. But be warned it's not always as glamorous as it's made out to be, specially forks and shocks tend to be worn and need a full service quick, which cost a pretty penny. If there are more parts used often chances are they will need replacing within a season of riding, making the ride at the end of the year just as expensive if not more expensive than to buy a new one now.
    I can turn a wrench. I was cruising the classifieds on pinkbike, ebay, ridemonkey and MTBR and found a few really good deals that would work. I've already come to the conclusion that whatever I get there might be issues with parts that will either need to get serviced or replace myself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    got mine for $3120 new and can accept dual crown forks without voiding warranty. Money well spent and gets great reviews.

usually cranky
    dh/fr (actually all) bikes can be silly expensive. for $3k you can get some really nice lightly used options.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Ditto. Exactly what I was going to say. You can get a year or two old $6000 bike for $3000 these days.
    You can get a 1 year old 6K DH bike for 2300 these days *coughbuymysession88cough*

mtbr member
    What size is it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    its a medium, if you're interested I'll pm you more details. I live up in norcal, so you're welcome to come check it out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Got a barely used yeti 303 US made bike set up for freeride and large hucks as it sits on a brand new marz single crown 66ti fork. It's 3k with all the top of the line parts. Medium

Living the High Life
    Hey if we're all spamming here! http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/2140016701.html

Really though, for $3k you can get a decent new bike right now. But if you want a brand new one and have patience you can watch for internet clearance deals. Used would get you a high end bike for much cheaper, but I would only suggest local. I'd want to see a bike in person before I put down several thousand.*

*I am aware I just eliminated the sale of my own bike as the OP is in CA and I'm in Denver. But hey appreciate my internet honesty.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by eride1
    Got a barely used yeti 303 US made bike set up for freeride and large hucks as it sits on a brand new marz single crown 66ti fork. It's 3k with all the top of the line parts. Medium
    +1 on the Yeti.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyMonkey
    Buy in your country to avoid scammers, and hold up in customs. Try MTBR, Ridemonky, and Craigslist classifieds.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    If you want a bike that can do it all, find a used or possibly new, depending on your dealer Trek Scratch Air. My friend has one and its a ridiculously awesome bike. \he got his at a clearance sale for around $3100. Trust me the extra $100 is worth it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast