and den?
    Oct 2008

I am Legend/Out for Blood... new bike!

Cross-posted from RM and the Banshee forum (mods feel free to remove if cross-posting is not cool on MTBR, I'm new here)...

So the Banshee finally arrived!
    More or less built, obviously not quite at a rideable state in the pics... needs a rear spring (I have one in there at the moment but it's quite a bit too stiff) and the lines need to be cut down etc. Click the pics to enlarge.

Full spec list:
    Frame: Banshee Legend #15, size large
    Fork: TPC+ Boxxer
    Rear shock: DHX5 (cheers Toodles for lending it to me) until the Cane Creek Double Barrel arrives
    Rims: Mavic 823s
    Hubs: Hope Pro IIs
    Crankset: Shimano Saint M805 (old Saint)
    Pedals: Straitlines
    Chainguide: Gamut P40
    Chainring: E13 37t
    Headset: FSA Orbit R 1.5 zero stack
    Stem: Sunline V1
    Bars: FSA Gravity Lights cut to 750mm - these things are tanks weight wise but they feel really nice, so not getting rid of them
    Brakes: Shimano Saint 4-pots on Hayes V8 rotors
    Saddle: SDG I-Fly
    Seatpost: SDG I-beam Micro
    Derailleur: Shimano Saint with super short cage
    Chain: XT/Ultegra
    Cassette: XT 11-32, gonna give this the arse in favour of a customised setup. I like it for its weight and sexiness but the functionality isn't there for me.
    Tyres: Minion DHFs 2.5 in SRY front and rear, non-UST, running Stans sealant

Also I owe thanks to a number of people for this:
    - Jay and Keith at Banshee for putting me on the test program
    - Keith at Banshee in particular for spending literally hours of his time discussing tech stuff with me and chasing stuff up
    - Ken at XXIV for his hard work, persistence, excellent communication, patience and generally making every effort to do the right thing by me. It's worth noting that he did all this without making a CENT out of it because these frames were sold to us at "production cost" - 10 out of 10 for customer service.
    - Jon @ GripSport for making the shock reducers for me
    - Toodles for lending me a shock
    - Squid for lending me a spring (if/when it gets here! )

Oh and for those who are interested:
    Frame weight, no axle, no shock or hardware, size large with seatpost collar: 8.90lbs (4045g). Supposedly about the same as a medium Sunday.
    Complete build weight, with steel spring on the rear: 41.68lbs (18.90kg). Not super lightweight, but there is plenty of opportunity to trim it down well under 40lbs without too much effort (Ti spring, WC leg for the Boxxer, lighter cranks/bars/pedals and even rims if you were that keen, brakes are pretty heavy too but completely worth it for the insane power).

Ride report when I get some real time on it!

Will to Win
    I envy you. REALLY! I've drooled upon the MK1 since I first saw prototype pictures.
    Also the Saints. My next bike will probably have full Saint build.

What's the price on the frame?
    2008 Transition Dirtbag Custom
    2003 Schwinn Moab 2 Singlespeed

and den?
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by albertomannil
    I envy you. REALLY! I've drooled upon the MK1 since I first saw prototype pictures.
    Also the Saints. My next bike will probably have full Saint build.

What's the price on the frame?
    Haha thanks... yeah first impressions are fully sick. The new Saint gear is pretty trick too, brakes especially.

Price on the frame - don't really know because I'm in Australia, what you guys pay won't even be vaguely relevant to our prices because the exchange rate is changing heaps at the moment. Being on the first 50 means we get the bikes at "production cost" so nobody is making money on em, but I can't really share what that is anyway. No idea what your retail price would be though sorry!

Petty and weak
    That is one nice ride mate. You're a lucky one to get it before production begins! Thumbs up to the Banshee Wizards for creating another sick machine. I hope to get my hands on one as soon as they are released to the commoners like me. Ride pics?
    ~ Downride and Freehill, nothing else ~

mtbr member
    that is a sweet ride mate were u get the 09 saint gear, The bike shed??
    either way a really clean build. Have fun!!

and den?
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntled
    That is one nice ride mate. You're a lucky one to get it before production begins! Thumbs up to the Banshee Wizards for creating another sick machine. I hope to get my hands on one as soon as they are released to the commoners like me. Ride pics?
    Cheers mate. No ride pics yet, still getting it properly set up. I don't tend to get pics when I ride anyway, prefer to just spend as much time as possible punching out runs Will see what I can do though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_M2R
    that is a sweet ride mate were u get the 09 saint gear, The bike shed??
    either way a really clean build. Have fun!!
    Nah got some of it through the LBS and some of it from Chain Reaction Cycles. Should all be available pretty well everywhere though..?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Just came across that frame on the banshee website last week. One of the best looking frames out there, in my opinion.

Definitely let us know how she rides. The build looks sick.

maker of trail
    Damn, son, that is freekin SICK!

NICE KID...NICE

Nice build...

Great use of color. Enjoy the new ride.
    "At that point man, your just riding your bike."

Transition

Pedalshop

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Looks awesome. (What kind of opinions did you get from the DWlink fanboys on RM?)

I can't tell from the pics, but it looks like the upper shock bolt just threads into the frame..? Do you just have the bolt sitting in there?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    What kind of opinions did you get from the DWlink fanboys on RM?
    terrible. All the kids made fun of him and knocked him down.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the tpc+ boxxer.

A czech pro let me through a leg over his at northstar and ride down a trail a little, it was absolutely rad. Banshee is definitely a new breed. Would have loved to finish off the run, but I had flats and he had clips and I didn't want to hurt it.

Have fun with it socket, and let us know how the CCDB goes. I'll be looking to you to figure out how to tune it once you decide the HSC circuits aren't up to par.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Sick bike fo' sho' but if you don't mind me asking what the heck is a "TPC+ Boxxer"??? I thought only Manitou forks were TPC.

Glad to Be Alive
    sweet ride...I like the red accent pedals
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    Sick bike fo' sho' but if you don't mind me asking what the heck is a "TPC+ Boxxer"??? I thought only Manitou forks were TPC.
    big thread over on RM. He modded it and made a tpc+ damper/shimstack into it from a kingpin.

and den?
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    Looks awesome. (What kind of opinions did you get from the DWlink fanboys on RM?)

I can't tell from the pics, but it looks like the upper shock bolt just threads into the frame..? Do you just have the bolt sitting in there?
    Nobody has actually said much about the DW-link similarities yet. They are visually similar but the performance characteristics are quite different.

Quote Originally Posted by William42
    terrible. All the kids made fun of him and knocked him down.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the tpc+ boxxer.

A czech pro let me through a leg over his at northstar and ride down a trail a little, it was absolutely rad. Banshee is definitely a new breed. Would have loved to finish off the run, but I had flats and he had clips and I didn't want to hurt it.

Have fun with it socket, and let us know how the CCDB goes. I'll be looking to you to figure out how to tune it once you decide the HSC circuits aren't up to par.
    haha well at 92kg or so and with a 2.8:1 leverage ratio I don't know that I'll have the same issues you do... will let you know though.

Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    As William said, there is a thread on Ridemonkey about it. I basically ripped the guts out of a Manitou Sherman and modified them to work with a Boxxer. Now I have shimmed rebound so it doesn't need to be run full fast all the time, and has much more finely tunable compression damping. Especially handy is having a compression adjuster that isn't "nothing, nothing, nothing, little bit, tons, too much take it back". It gives you some setup options that weren't really there with the Motion Control system, however in fairness to MoCo, it allowed a reasonably good compression setup anyway (which most people didn't use).

Seeeriously easy Livin
    holy crap that bike has the sickest cnc work I've ever seen. Looks like a pain in the @ss to keep clean, but if that were my bike I'd take a toothbrush to it after every ride. everyone needs to zoom in on the bb shot, small picks just don't cut it, that frame is a work of art.

Will to Win
    what's the shock stroke on that frame?
    2008 Transition Dirtbag Custom
    2003 Schwinn Moab 2 Singlespeed

and den?
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by albertomannil
    what's the shock stroke on that frame?
    3.0" stroke, 9.5" eye to eye, fairly standard DH size. 8.5" travel for those who are curious.