Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 69
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    399

    I am destroying too many saddles...need strong non-pig-like saddle suggestion

    SDG saddles ti and cro-mo rails last me 3 to 5 rides before the saddles collapse into my rail mount Thomson seatpost. The rails either get bent (usually at the rear section (even when I clamp within the limits of the marking on the rail) or if the rails don't get bent, they sort of fold inward and collapse into the seat. The seat then sags rearward.

    I have a graveyard of 5 SDG saddles with broken and bent rails. The others I've thrown away or sent back.

    I've wasted WTB (higher end and lower end saddles) and SDG, total damaging about 12 in the recent past.

    Help me. I'm only 155 lbs.

    Is I-beam the only option for me?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I am destroying too many saddles...need strong non-pig-like saddle suggestion-img00303-20121227-1135.jpg  

    Last edited by Aust95; 12-27-2012 at 09:49 AM.
    Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    601
    you should try an Ibeam post and saddle, I don't think they can "bend"

  3. #3
    Slap happy crappiness
    Reputation: DHgnaR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,085
    WTF are you doing to destroy so many saddles?
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

  4. #4
    Slap happy crappiness
    Reputation: DHgnaR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,085
    Quote Originally Posted by The Beater View Post
    you should try an Ibeam post and saddle, I don't think they can "bend"
    When they go they snap, usually leaving sharp material behind to mangle your man bits... not to say traditional saddles can't, but usually they just bend.
    This guy's doing something wrong, there's no way you can go through saddles this often and not be doing something weird.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    487
    I agree with DHgnaR, the OP is doing something wrong, or he crashes a lot. Going through that many saddles is not normal. The same thing wil happen with Ibeam saddles, you need to find out what you're doing wrong.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    399
    I usually find the rails bent after I go on a routine ride that involves various drops to flat or near flat. I don't have my seat post slammed all the way down, nor do I have it XC high either, and my rear has no signs of protest after the event. I do some kick drops on the drop offs that when I land, my bottom ricochets off of the saddle but, again, it doesn't hurt me so I figure it isn't that hard. Plus I'm not a big guy.

    The LBS knows of my tendency to wreck saddles. They've offered to take 2 of the saddles back and then pulled out some behemoth of a seat that weight about 3 pounds and I said NO. It'd make my bike too top heavy. But I did notice on that seat which they called a DH seat that there was a special "S" type bend on the rail at the rear part.
    Last edited by Aust95; 12-27-2012 at 07:50 PM.
    Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by SV11 View Post
    I agree with DHgnaR, the OP is doing something wrong, or he crashes a lot. Going through that many saddles is not normal. The same thing wil happen with Ibeam saddles, you need to find out what you're doing wrong.
    Crashing is not what makes it happen. It's my bum glancing off the seat but that's part of regular riding isn't it? Unavoidable.
    Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    487
    Quote Originally Posted by Aust95 View Post
    Crashing is not what makes it happen. It's my bum glancing off the seat but that's part of regular riding isn't it? Unavoidable.

    Yeah it's a regular part of riding, but breaking saddles isn't.
    It's kind of hard to gauge where the issue is without seeing you ride firsthand.
    Bouncing off the saddle while doing kick drops on the drop offs could be a major contributor.
    Saddles aren't really designed to bounce off.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shwinn8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,913
    lower the seat more?
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

  10. #10
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    21
    I have the same problem and have noticed my saddles pointed slightly downward. I'm now considering getting a large/wide and comfortable, Bell gel seat.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,117
    Troll.

  12. #12
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,327
    the problem isn't the seats...the problem is the rider and his riding errors....

    you are supposed to absorb the shock/force of a drop with your legs...even if you have 10 inches suspension

    do not sit on your seat when doing drops...if you can't do this then lower your seat or get a smaller seat...but the basic rule is.....

    you sit on your seat + do a drop = figure broken seat
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    56
    Not to mention you state your backside doesn't hurt... but at your weight, to bend that many rails on seats... it has to be compressing your spine to some degree... with every impact. I'd suggest lowering the seat some more like the others. I'm no doctor but this doesn't seem right.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    399
    Well, this is a legitimate issue I'm having.

    I should probably work in softening my landing by technique. I have tried though. Doing drop offs at speed never did this to my saddles, just when I started doing more the kick wheelie drops.
    Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shwinn8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,913
    take a run or two without the seat .. remember, a bike might have 8in. of travel but injunction with the body it's more
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,015
    Quote Originally Posted by Aust95 View Post
    Crashing is not what makes it happen. It's my bum glancing off the seat but that's part of regular riding isn't it? Unavoidable.
    Who is "bum" ?
    Nah,seriously...what seatpost are you using? Have you tried changing that?
    Are you using a DH seatpost? (Azonic,etc.)?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    Who is "bum" ?
    Nah,seriously...what seatpost are you using? Have you tried changing that?
    Are you using a DH seatpost? (Azonic,etc.)?
    Thomson elite seatpost.

    I thought about a Syntace P6 alloy seatpost because it specifically states that it was designed with a longer clamp to hold more of the rail to disperse the forces better to prevent bending but I'm not sure if it'll actually work and the post is pricey.

    Do DH specific seatposts have a larger clamp area?
    Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.

  18. #18
    RideDirt
    Reputation: aedubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,237
    Fix your riding or just slam your seat all the way down .

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    357
    I-beam or BMX pivotal

    Or learn how to not be a hack
    Want a one of a kind bike? Message me for a one of a kind paint job.

    The internet is a tough place to ride

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,015
    Quote Originally Posted by Aust95 View Post
    Thomson elite seatpost.

    I thought about a Syntace P6 alloy seatpost because it specifically states that it was designed with a longer clamp to hold more of the rail to disperse the forces better to prevent bending but I'm not sure if it'll actually work and the post is pricey.

    Do DH specific seatposts have a larger clamp area?
    Try the Syntace...You must be a very powerful rider to do these things.What bike/wheels do you use?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

  21. #21
    C S
    C S is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: C S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    611
    Quote Originally Posted by Aust95 View Post
    hey've offered to take 2 of the saddles back and then pulled out some behemoth of a seat that weight about 3 pounds and I said NO. It'd make my bike too top heavy. But I did notice on that seat which they called a DH seat that there was a special "S" type bend on the rail at the rear part.
    Yeah....

    I have broken one seat in my life and it was when I first started and did a wheelie drop on my xc bike with the seat too high. The seat didn't hurt, but the post sure did Lower that **** and absorb with your legs.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mountain Cycle Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,051
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    the problem isn't the seats...the problem is the rider and his riding errors....

    you are supposed to absorb the shock/force of a drop with your legs...even if you have 10 inches suspension

    do not sit on your seat when doing drops...if you can't do this then lower your seat or get a smaller seat...but the basic rule is.....

    you sit on your seat + do a drop = figure broken seat
    + 100%^. The only time your seat and ass should touch is on smooth, bump free ground. Any other time, you should be standing.

    This reminds me of a definition of something, can't remember what. It goes something like: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Try something different this time!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shwinn8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post

    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    .. No tv and no beer make Homer go something something....
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,015
    OP-
    Just keep on experimenting til you get he right combo.And keep Mr.Bum off your seat at he right times.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

  25. #25
    Moose Member
    Reputation: Moosey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,198
    I bent 2 seats in my life, 1 going otb in a rock garden, and the saddle popped off the rails... it was weird.

    The other when I was working on supermans, but my nuts took more of a blow than the seat... still bent the rails beyond use.

    Now I'm getting into street and riding a hardtail. Try is sometime. I tried a 5 foot drop to flat. Bout tore myself a new butthole. But now I never seat bounce when landing anything (not that I ever did before). But I just worked my way back up to the 5 footer doing smaller drops to flat, focusing on leg strength when landing. Now I can do it no problem.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •