Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

I am destroying too many saddles...need strong non-pig-like saddle suggestion

5K views 68 replies 37 participants last post by  Bent Wheel 
#1 · (Edited)
SDG saddles ti and cro-mo rails last me 3 to 5 rides before the saddles collapse into my rail mount Thomson seatpost. The rails either get bent (usually at the rear section (even when I clamp within the limits of the marking on the rail) or if the rails don't get bent, they sort of fold inward and collapse into the seat. The seat then sags rearward.

I have a graveyard of 5 SDG saddles with broken and bent rails. The others I've thrown away or sent back.

I've wasted WTB (higher end and lower end saddles) and SDG, total damaging about 12 in the recent past.

Help me. I'm only 155 lbs.:madman:

Is I-beam the only option for me?

Attachments

See less See more
#65 ·
I have 2 of those saddles,(the older dicontinued version).It's a bit longer than regular mtb saddles...kind of like a cheaper version of the discontinued WTB Power V saddle.
Sette Strike DH Saddle at Price Point
Maybe the OP might wanna throw that saddle on a Azonic HD-1 seatpost if it fits.
Azonic / O'Neal HD1 Seatpost - Wheel World Bike Shops - Road Bikes, Mountain Bikes, Bicycle Parts and Accessories. Parts & Bike Closeouts!
...or a Azonic HD:
Azonic / O'Neal H.D. Seatpost - Wheel World Bike Shops - Road Bikes, Mountain Bikes, Bicycle Parts and Accessories. Parts & Bike Closeouts!

Titec and Funn have soms DH saddles on ebay too,

#54 ·
Thanks for all the ideas everyone that has posted. Here are some points made thus far:

1.) The way I ride causes the problem.

I agree with this but that's why I'm looking for something that'll withstand "the way I ride". Another way of looking at this is if someone rode and broke frames regularly, would they have poor technique? Not necessarily. Should they be called "weak" or "a poor rider"? Not always. It might be just the style they ride. Now if they crash and get hurt because of they way they ride or fail at obstacles, then that may be a different issue and therefore could be called a poor rider. So some people that break stuff should probably should look for a more stout frame or parts that withstand the forces exerted by that specific rider.

2.) Seat too high.

The seat height works for me, but I surely can lower it and try to get used to it and will basically be "taking the seat out of the way". Hard to so because I like it at the current height for leverage and bike handling.

3.) Thudbuster seatpost suggestion.

I think that'll work well for me. Novel idea. I might actually consider this one if I can get myself over having one on a FS bike.

4.) Various suggestions on DH saddles.

Thanks for those suggestions. I really need strong RAILS, not uppers since it's not the uppers that suffer damage. I might consider the ones with thicker rail diameters. Does any one know if those are still compatible with the Thomson seatpost clamp?

5.) No saddle riding.

I think I'll skip this one.

#56 ·
Thanks for all the ideas everyone that has posted. Here are some points made thus far:

1.) The way I ride causes the problem.

I agree with this but that's why I'm looking for something that'll withstand "the way I ride". Another way of looking at this is if someone rode and broke frames regularly, would they have poor technique? Not necessarily. Should they be called "weak" or "a poor rider"? Not always. It might be just the style they ride. Now if they crash and get hurt because of they way they ride or fail at obstacles, then that may be a different issue and therefore could be called a poor rider. So some people that break stuff should probably should look for a more stout frame or parts that withstand the forces exerted by that specific rider.

2.) Seat too high.

The seat height works for me, but I surely can lower it and try to get used to it and will basically be "taking the seat out of the way". Hard to so because I like it at the current height for leverage and bike handling.

3.) Thudbuster seatpost suggestion.

I think that'll work well for me. Novel idea. I might actually consider this one if I can get myself over having one on a FS bike.

4.) Various suggestions on DH saddles.

Thanks for those suggestions. I really need strong RAILS, not uppers since it's not the uppers that suffer damage. I might consider the ones with thicker rail diameters. Does any one know if those are still compatible with the Thomson seatpost clamp?

5.) No saddle riding.

I think I'll skip this one.
So, basically you came here for help with your problem. And apart from #3, which is a stupid idea in the first place, you just stuck your middle finger up at everyone's advice. Way to go! It looks like you'll be breaking saddles for a long time to come. One of these days, you'll get a broken rail up your rear end.

#59 · (Edited)
no need to apologize, just letters on a computer screen and those letters can be taken out of context. the recommendation to adjust your seat and riding style ( which like smoking and biting nails ) is a tough habit to break but it's for the better. unless you build a custom stand alone solid seat you have to deal with whats available on the market. no need to get into detail over the cause of a rather simple anomaly... but to get more in-depth you are trying to combine 2 different riding styles it sounds like. high seat for pedal power for more Xc/all mountain type riding and drops that freeride/ dh'ers do. could put a quick release clamp on and before taking a drop lower the seat. regardless, the issue at hand is the seat height, not the strength of 2 rails that are limited to their design.

Reactions: Aust95
#68 ·
To the OP- dropper post all the way. Get that seat out of your way and absorb the landings with the bike AND your legs, practice practice practice.

That Mojo deserves a dropper post.

Look at it this way- the forces you are putting on the seat that are bending the rails are in fact being resisted and absorbed by the frame; your bum hits the seat with enough force to bend the rails, to do this the frame is taking the force of the impact and resisting it and being torqued and stressed. The frame is literally pushing against the force of your impact with the seat to the point that YOU bend the rails. Thats not good. Personal opinion is that it adds to the long term wear of the frame.

Now lets say you have the Mojo HD- 160mm of travel. Awesome. Move that seat out of your way and you pick up an additional 6-8 inches of suspension in your legs (not sure depends on your legs length). You also take more of the impact, stress and forces away from the bike, the seat, the wheels, pivots, everything.

This is my opinion from my own experiences and another vote for a dropper post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.