Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    nothing wrong with the post. it's a thomson.
    Even Thomson parts can have manufacturing problems, or develop problems through wear and tear.

Can you take a picture of the clamp on your Mojo?

And, as other people have said a) There seems to be a technique problem and b) lower your seat, or get your ass behind it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    I broke a saddle once....pelvis too.
    THAT looked painful!!!! Was it the crash that broke your pelvis?
    Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Even Thomson parts can have manufacturing problems, or develop problems through wear and tear.

Can you take a picture of the clamp on your Mojo?
    Probably not the post. I can't see how it could be unless you have some ideas I can't think of.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I am destroying too many saddles...need strong non-pig-like saddle suggestion-img00304-20121227-1912.jpg  

I am destroying too many saddles...need strong non-pig-like saddle suggestion-img00309-20121227-1913.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for all the ideas everyone that has posted. Here are some points made thus far:

1.) The way I ride causes the problem.

I agree with this but that's why I'm looking for something that'll withstand "the way I ride". Another way of looking at this is if someone rode and broke frames regularly, would they have poor technique? Not necessarily. Should they be called "weak" or "a poor rider"? Not always. It might be just the style they ride. Now if they crash and get hurt because of they way they ride or fail at obstacles, then that may be a different issue and therefore could be called a poor rider. So some people that break stuff should probably should look for a more stout frame or parts that withstand the forces exerted by that specific rider.

2.) Seat too high.

The seat height works for me, but I surely can lower it and try to get used to it and will basically be "taking the seat out of the way". Hard to so because I like it at the current height for leverage and bike handling.

3.) Thudbuster seatpost suggestion.

I think that'll work well for me. Novel idea. I might actually consider this one if I can get myself over having one on a FS bike.

4.) Various suggestions on DH saddles.

Thanks for those suggestions. I really need strong RAILS, not uppers since it's not the uppers that suffer damage. I might consider the ones with thicker rail diameters. Does any one know if those are still compatible with the Thomson seatpost clamp?

5.) No saddle riding.

I think I'll skip this one.

mtbr member
    just try lowering the seat post before spending any more $$$.. and lean back more
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aust95 View Post
    Thanks for all the ideas everyone that has posted. Here are some points made thus far:

I agree with this but that's why I'm looking for something that'll withstand "the way I ride". Another way of looking at this is if someone rode and broke frames regularly, would they have poor technique? Not necessarily. Should they be called "weak" or "a poor rider"? Not always. It might be just the style they ride. Now if they crash and get hurt because of they way they ride or fail at obstacles, then that may be a different issue and therefore could be called a poor rider. So some people that break stuff should probably should look for a more stout frame or parts that withstand the forces exerted by that specific rider.

2.) Seat too high.

The seat height works for me, but I surely can lower it and try to get used to it and will basically be "taking the seat out of the way". Hard to so because I like it at the current height for leverage and bike handling.

I think that'll work well for me. Novel idea. I might actually consider this one if I can get myself over having one on a FS bike.

Thanks for those suggestions. I really need strong RAILS, not uppers since it's not the uppers that suffer damage. I might consider the ones with thicker rail diameters. Does any one know if those are still compatible with the Thomson seatpost clamp?

5.) No saddle riding.

So, basically you came here for help with your problem. And apart from #3, which is a stupid idea in the first place, you just stuck your middle finger up at everyone's advice. Way to go! It looks like you'll be breaking saddles for a long time to come. One of these days, you'll get a broken rail up your rear end.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    So, basically you came here for help with your problem. And apart from #3, which is a stupid idea in the first place, you just stuck your middle finger up at everyone's advice. Way to go! It looks like you'll be breaking saddles for a long time to come. One of these days, you'll get a broken rail up your rear end.
    Nah, not what I meant to do at all to anyone. Didn't think anyone would be so offended.

Just putting into words my thoughts and maybe I'll digest some suggestions better with time. I think what is best is to improve my technique so I can stick with what I currently have but I don't know how long it will take to change technique since, as you may understand, things can get ingrained after a while of riding a certain way. Hard to teach a old dog new ways--you know? Until I get better, I need something that doesn't wreck easily.

All the above are serious suggestions that made me think (except for the sarcastic one of not riding with a seat although that has a tone of seriousness to it, yet I still thought that was funny). I think this tread gave me some positive direction. Not trying to dissing anyone's ideas at all, really. At least I didn't mean to if it showed in my response. I apologize.

mtbr member
    Nah, not what I meant to do at all to anyone. Didn't think anyone would be so offended.

Just putting into words my thoughts and maybe I'll digest some suggestions better with time. I think what is best is to improve my technique so I can stick with what I currently have but I don't know how long it will take to change technique since, as you may understand, things can get ingrained after a while of riding a certain way. Hard to teach a old dog new ways--you know? Until I get better, I need something that doesn't wreck easily.

All the above are serious suggestions that made me think (except for the sarcastic one of not riding with a seat although that has a tone of seriousness to it, yet I still thought that was funny). I think this tread gave me some positive direction. Not trying to dissing anyone's ideas at all, really. At least I didn't mean to if it showed in my response. I apologize.
    You can still ride with your butt touching the seat, just try to use your legs to keep a lot of weight off of it. It will make you a better rider, because you can't properly balance yourself and the bike with your dead weight sitting on the saddle. It's like driving a car fast in the canyons, it takes finesse with the pedals. Same with riding, it takes finess with the parts of your body that make contact with the bike. When you learn that, you can ride much faster, for a lot longer and break less parts.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    no need to apologize, just letters on a computer screen and those letters can be taken out of context. the recommendation to adjust your seat and riding style ( which like smoking and biting nails ) is a tough habit to break but it's for the better. unless you build a custom stand alone solid seat you have to deal with whats available on the market. no need to get into detail over the cause of a rather simple anomaly... but to get more in-depth you are trying to combine 2 different riding styles it sounds like. high seat for pedal power for more Xc/all mountain type riding and drops that freeride/ dh'ers do. could put a quick release clamp on and before taking a drop lower the seat. regardless, the issue at hand is the seat height, not the strength of 2 rails that are limited to their design.
    Last edited by shwinn8; 12-28-2012 at 06:15 PM.
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    i-beam or BMX pivotal if it hasn't been suggested.

or a remote post to get that business out of the way.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Your lucky you haven't pancaked you testicals! Lower your seat, and absorb more with your legs.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

2.) Seat too high.

5.) No saddle riding.

With regards to number 4, most DH saddle DO come with thicker RAILS.
    And yes, they are still compatible with your thomson seatpost.

As I have said, I used to bend the rails on my saddles all the time. After switching to saddles with 8mm rails I have bent none. Anyway, getting thicker rails is just a band aid to improper riding techniques. The most important thing is to work on proper techniques.

Saddles with 8mm rails that I have tried so far:

Various Fizik DH/FR saddles - Expensive (but got mine on various clearance sale for cheap), heavy and uncomfortable. Out of production.
    WTB aviator - Cheap, heavy and uncomfortable
    Spank starburst - Very heavy but very comfortable
    Tiogra Spyder D - Light, comfortable but punishes you hard if you are sitting down while you are not supposed to

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by mgv101 View Post
    A Anyway, getting thicker rails is just a band aid to improper riding techniques. The most important thing is to work on proper techniques.
    to
    winner
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Glad to Be Alive

honestly it sounds like you snubbed us on suggestions....

your problem is you are landing jumps sitting down on the saddle....they are not meant for that...so the suggestions of using your legs a little more and lowering your seat will help you out..the most important is use your legs like a shock absorber more...if you don't listen and want to blow it off....someday you are going to get hurt,..you will land something and just get totally bucked off bike..also one of those bars my stab you...even with thicker rails....and P.S. don't drop to flat...you will run a bike that way
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 12-27-2012 at 10:15 PM.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bitewerks View Post
    The Sette Strike DH saddle lasted me a long time. I went from it to a Chromag Lynx & the Sette has larger diameter rails than the Chromag plus the Sette is cheap. I think it's called the Strike.. I bought it after destroying a saddle when the bike flipped into a tree.
    I have 2 of those saddles,(the older dicontinued version).It's a bit longer than regular mtb saddles...kind of like a cheaper version of the discontinued WTB Power V saddle.
    Sette Strike DH Saddle at Price Point
    Maybe the OP might wanna throw that saddle on a Azonic HD-1 seatpost if it fits.
    Azonic / O'Neal HD1 Seatpost - Wheel World Bike Shops - Road Bikes, Mountain Bikes, Bicycle Parts and Accessories. Parts & Bike Closeouts!
    ...or a Azonic HD:
    Azonic / O'Neal H.D. Seatpost - Wheel World Bike Shops - Road Bikes, Mountain Bikes, Bicycle Parts and Accessories. Parts & Bike Closeouts!

Titec and Funn have soms DH saddles on ebay too,
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    when i first got my bike, it had a budget seatpost on it. I rode of a curb while sitting down (figured a 160mm bike could handle that...) and completely bent the clamp. lesson here, some things are just not meant to take certain forces.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim F. View Post
    Your lucky you haven't pancaked you testicals! Lower your seat, and absorb more with your legs.
    Oh, that cracking feeling

Oops, I cased it again! - YouTube
    Folangag

mtbr member
    To the OP- dropper post all the way. Get that seat out of your way and absorb the landings with the bike AND your legs, practice practice practice.

That Mojo deserves a dropper post.

Look at it this way- the forces you are putting on the seat that are bending the rails are in fact being resisted and absorbed by the frame; your bum hits the seat with enough force to bend the rails, to do this the frame is taking the force of the impact and resisting it and being torqued and stressed. The frame is literally pushing against the force of your impact with the seat to the point that YOU bend the rails. Thats not good. Personal opinion is that it adds to the long term wear of the frame.

Now lets say you have the Mojo HD- 160mm of travel. Awesome. Move that seat out of your way and you pick up an additional 6-8 inches of suspension in your legs (not sure depends on your legs length). You also take more of the impact, stress and forces away from the bike, the seat, the wheels, pivots, everything.

This is my opinion from my own experiences and another vote for a dropper post.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    + 100%^. The only time your seat and ass should touch is on smooth, bump free ground. Any other time, you should be standing.

This reminds me of a definition of something, can't remember what. It goes something like: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Try something different this time!
    " the definition of insanity"
    Oldest daughter doesn't ride, she fights MMA.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3