Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shwinn8 View Post
    .. No tv and no beer make Homer go something something....
    Yeah, that's it, thanks!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I used to bend seat rails a lot when I first started riding downhill since my legs were like noodles and I tend to sit a lot with my bum pounding on the seat as I go through rock gardens when I am tired.

As i band-aid to my lack of skills/strength, I started using saddles with 8mm rails which are MUCH stronger and are MUCH MUCH more difficult to bend (don't think I have managed to bend one yet actually). Unfortunately, most 8mm DH saddles are heavy and uncomfortable until I started using the Tioga Spyder D saddle.

The Spyder D was relatively cheap, strong, light and surprisingly comfortable for sitting and pedaling on flat ground but once on a DH track it would bump and bruise up my inner thighs badly if I am lazy and just sit through rough stuff. Because it really does punishes you HARD when you hit the saddle, it quickly trains you up to stop sitting or bumping into it while riding through the rough.

Now my riding is much more fluid since I my ass is no longer glued to the saddle and the 8mm rails really does give the saddle strength and prevent it from bending. At 175g, it is also one of the lightest saddle within its price range (if you really do care about weight).

No Stranger to danger....
    Id suggest buying DH saddles, they are made a lot tougher, im rocking a THE DH saddle, while its not to comfortable its a damn tough saddle.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

GAME ON!
    ride with a post and no saddle and i bet you won't be landing improperly anymore.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    ride with a post and no saddle and i bet you won't be landing improperly anymore.
    I second this.

RideDirt
    Well unless thats his " thang "

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    Try the Syntace...You must be a very powerful rider to do these things.What bike/wheels do you use?
    I use regular wheels nothing super beefy. Stans Flow EX on an Mojo HD. DT Swiss EX5.1 on a Nomad. I9 Enduro build on a Nicolai AFR.

Contrary to the impression I might have conveyed of how I ride, I'm a semi-smooth rider and my friends would probably say I'm not a hack rider. I've been biking for over 15 years so I've developed some skills at least.
    Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Maybe try out one of these seat posts?

Seatposts

FKA Malibu412
    It's your technique. It gets you to the bottom. Keep riding the same way and blowing up saddles.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Aust95 View Post
    I hate to

Contrary to the impression I might have conveyed of how I ride, I'm a semi-smooth rider and my friends would probably say I'm not a hack rider. I've been biking for over 15 years so I've developed some skills at least.
    I hate to tell you this, but breaking lots of seats is basically the definition of a low skill/hack rider. You need to stop sitting down all the time and build up your leg/core/arm/everything strength.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I am destroying too many saddles...need strong non-pig-like saddle suggestion-img00300-20121227-1133.jpg  

Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.

mtbr member
    sometimes you have to, you know, think out of the box and try something different. just remember, you made the post seeking a potential cause for multiple broken seats. you were probably looking for an answer that would result in product defect but the common feedback from many has been riding technique. change can take time, just takes practice...
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by shwinn8 View Post
    sometimes you have to, you know, think out of the box and try something different. just remember, you made the post seeking a potential cause for multiple broken seats. you were probably looking for an answer that would result in product defect but the common feedback from many has been riding technique. change can take time, just takes practice...
    I like this guy.

Also, I think I've literally never heard of someone breaking multiple seats. And I've rarely seen anyone break a single seat.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Aust95 View Post
    I use regular wheels nothing super beefy. Stans Flow EX on an Mojo HD. DT Swiss EX5.1 on a Nomad. I9 Enduro build on a Nicolai AFR.

If you are breaking things that others do not, the issue is you, not the thing that is breaking. You either adjust your technique, or keep replacing broken parts.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    lower the post so all you can read is " THOM" or '' THO ''
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    There is a slight possibility that there is something wrong with the post. Try a different one and see what happens.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Probably riding sitting on the seat while going over obstacles.

Are you getting of your seat when you are going over the obstacles or doing jumps? If not than that is whats causing them to break. Start riding on your pedals while going over stuff and you will solve your problem.

DenverDH'er
    I've bent few rails in my days of DH. When I get really tired on a run, I'll sit down and pedal on the "flat" parts of a trail. This will in time bend the rails because when you're going that fast, even a smooth stretch of trail will put considerable strain on the rails when seated. Now if you're doing this on drops, that's just odd. You shouldn't be contacting your seat on jumps and drops.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I broke a saddle once....pelvis too.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    IF your bike is a mojo then you should buy a dropped post you will be able to drop it when you need

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Gotta be user error or you are somehow installing them incorrectly. Never in my 10+ years have i broken a seat. Even crashing and sending my bike flying down the hill, never has one broken. Was previously on I-beam wtb, and now regular rails with a wtb devo

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    i like the lounge. Its BEASTLY

Azonic Lounge Seat Saddle Reviews

U $ 4 O?

Land on your ass??

You're gonna slip a disc or give yourself ED

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The Sette Strike DH saddle lasted me a long time. I went from it to a Chromag Lynx & the Sette has larger diameter rails than the Chromag plus the Sette is cheap. I think it's called the Strike.. I bought it after destroying a saddle when the bike flipped into a tree.

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    There is a slight possibility that there is something wrong with the post. Try a different one and see what happens.
    nothing wrong with the post. it's a thomson.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast