• 12-26-2012
    Mountain Cycle Shawn
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by shwinn8 View Post
    :thumbsup: .. No tv and no beer make Homer go something something....

    Yeah, that's it, thanks!
  • 12-26-2012
    mgv101
    I used to bend seat rails a lot when I first started riding downhill since my legs were like noodles and I tend to sit a lot with my bum pounding on the seat as I go through rock gardens when I am tired.

    As i band-aid to my lack of skills/strength, I started using saddles with 8mm rails which are MUCH stronger and are MUCH MUCH more difficult to bend (don't think I have managed to bend one yet actually). Unfortunately, most 8mm DH saddles are heavy and uncomfortable until I started using the Tioga Spyder D saddle.

    The Spyder D was relatively cheap, strong, light and surprisingly comfortable for sitting and pedaling on flat ground but once on a DH track it would bump and bruise up my inner thighs badly if I am lazy and just sit through rough stuff. Because it really does punishes you HARD when you hit the saddle, it quickly trains you up to stop sitting or bumping into it while riding through the rough.

    Now my riding is much more fluid since I my ass is no longer glued to the saddle and the 8mm rails really does give the saddle strength and prevent it from bending. At 175g, it is also one of the lightest saddle within its price range (if you really do care about weight).
  • 12-27-2012
    Tone's
    Id suggest buying DH saddles, they are made a lot tougher, im rocking a THE DH saddle, while its not to comfortable its a damn tough saddle.
  • 12-27-2012
    saturnine
    ride with a post and no saddle and i bet you won't be landing improperly anymore.
  • 12-27-2012
    DYI01
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    ride with a post and no saddle and i bet you won't be landing improperly anymore.

    :D I second this.
  • 12-27-2012
    aedubber
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    ride with a post and no saddle and i bet you won't be landing improperly anymore.

    Well unless thats his " thang " :D:D
  • 12-27-2012
    Aust95
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    Try the Syntace...You must be a very powerful rider to do these things.What bike/wheels do you use?

    I use regular wheels nothing super beefy. Stans Flow EX on an Mojo HD. DT Swiss EX5.1 on a Nomad. I9 Enduro build on a Nicolai AFR.

    Contrary to the impression I might have conveyed of how I ride, I'm a semi-smooth rider and my friends would probably say I'm not a hack rider. I've been biking for over 15 years so I've developed some skills at least.
  • 12-27-2012
    Mishtar
    Maybe try out one of these seat posts?

    Seatposts
  • 12-27-2012
    Glide the Clyde
    It's your technique. It gets you to the bottom. Keep riding the same way and blowing up saddles.
  • 12-27-2012
    Gemini2k05
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Aust95 View Post
    I hate to

    Contrary to the impression I might have conveyed of how I ride, I'm a semi-smooth rider and my friends would probably say I'm not a hack rider. I've been biking for over 15 years so I've developed some skills at least.

    I hate to tell you this, but breaking lots of seats is basically the definition of a low skill/hack rider. You need to stop sitting down all the time and build up your leg/core/arm/everything strength.
  • 12-27-2012
    Aust95
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    ride with a post and no saddle and i bet you won't be landing improperly anymore.

    Thank you.
  • 12-27-2012
    shwinn8
    sometimes you have to, you know, think out of the box and try something different. just remember, you made the post seeking a potential cause for multiple broken seats. you were probably looking for an answer that would result in product defect but the common feedback from many has been riding technique. change can take time, just takes practice...
  • 12-27-2012
    Gemini2k05
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by shwinn8 View Post
    sometimes you have to, you know, think out of the box and try something different. just remember, you made the post seeking a potential cause for multiple broken seats. you were probably looking for an answer that would result in product defect but the common feedback from many has been riding technique. change can take time, just takes practice...

    I like this guy.

    Also, I think I've literally never heard of someone breaking multiple seats. And I've rarely seen anyone break a single seat.
  • 12-27-2012
    shiggy
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Aust95 View Post
    I use regular wheels nothing super beefy. Stans Flow EX on an Mojo HD. DT Swiss EX5.1 on a Nomad. I9 Enduro build on a Nicolai AFR.

    Contrary to the impression I might have conveyed of how I ride, I'm a semi-smooth rider and my friends would probably say I'm not a hack rider. I've been biking for over 15 years so I've developed some skills at least.

    If you are breaking things that others do not, the issue is you, not the thing that is breaking. You either adjust your technique, or keep replacing broken parts.
  • 12-27-2012
    shwinn8
    lower the post so all you can read is " THOM" or '' THO ''
  • 12-27-2012
    Mountain Cycle Shawn
    There is a slight possibility that there is something wrong with the post. Try a different one and see what happens.
  • 12-27-2012
    morozka1
    Probably riding sitting on the seat while going over obstacles.
    Are you getting of your seat when you are going over the obstacles or doing jumps? If not than that is whats causing them to break. Start riding on your pedals while going over stuff and you will solve your problem.
  • 12-27-2012
    rep_1969
    I've bent few rails in my days of DH. When I get really tired on a run, I'll sit down and pedal on the "flat" parts of a trail. This will in time bend the rails because when you're going that fast, even a smooth stretch of trail will put considerable strain on the rails when seated. Now if you're doing this on drops, that's just odd. You shouldn't be contacting your seat on jumps and drops.
  • 12-27-2012
    NoahColorado
    I broke a saddle once....pelvis too. :)
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/30602379?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>
  • 12-27-2012
    The Beater
    IF your bike is a mojo then you should buy a dropped post you will be able to drop it when you need
  • 12-27-2012
    csermonet
    Gotta be user error or you are somehow installing them incorrectly. Never in my 10+ years have i broken a seat. Even crashing and sending my bike flying down the hill, never has one broken. Was previously on I-beam wtb, and now regular rails with a wtb devo
  • 12-27-2012
    87xjmike
    i like the lounge. Its BEASTLY

    Azonic Lounge Seat Saddle Reviews
  • 12-27-2012
    Deerhill
    Land on your ass??
    You're gonna slip a disc or give yourself ED
  • 12-27-2012
    bitewerks
    The Sette Strike DH saddle lasted me a long time. I went from it to a Chromag Lynx & the Sette has larger diameter rails than the Chromag plus the Sette is cheap. I think it's called the Strike.. I bought it after destroying a saddle when the bike flipped into a tree.
  • 12-27-2012
    saturnine
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    There is a slight possibility that there is something wrong with the post. Try a different one and see what happens.

    nothing wrong with the post. it's a thomson.