Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Huckster plus Avy!

My new bombproof-do anything bike. Just put the Avy on last night so I haven't ridden it yet , but even with the Manitou 4 way that came with the frame this bike rocks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

gnar, brah
    diggin the original supercharger. nice stuff
    Trestle Bike Park

Glad to Be Alive
    very nice
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Living the High Life
    What year is that? My 06 doesn't have that little pivot from at the back shock eye.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    What year is that? My 06 doesn't have that little pivot from at the back shock eye.
    It's supposed to be an 06, new old stock. That's the Motolink. It gives the suspension a rising rate. Maybe they changed the design mid year of 06? I dunno.

mtbr member
    thats sweet

Living the High Life
    I looked at a picture of mine and its not that I don't have it, its oriented differently. I don't have a picture good enough to explain it here at work, I'll post on later though once I'm home.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Equal opportunity meanie
    I don't think that bike has enough suspension members. They should add in 3 more at minimum.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot
    I don't think that bike has enough suspension members. They should add in 3 more at minimum.
    Whatever it takes to get the job done. It's plush, stiff, and pedals awesome. Very smart suspension design.

Equal opportunity meanie
    Quote Originally Posted by Telewacker
    Whatever it takes to get the job done.
    I completely agree

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Why a second clamp on the post?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover Nick
    Why a second clamp on the post?
    The post is a discontinued Tioga layback model. My previous frame needed a telescoping post and I cut the Tioga, so it's too short to have the range of adjustment I need. So I just swapped over the telescoping rig to the new bike. I need that layback post!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I completely agree

You'll notice that my bike with two chainrings doesn't have, and doesn't need, a chainguide That's because the parallel control arms practically eliminate chaingrowth. Also the suspension remains fully active when braking without a floating brake. And the moto link gives the suspension a rising rate. All these advantages are very useful in the real world and are not to be achieved with a mono pivot. Those extra bars and links are there for a reason.

Living the High Life
    I checked mine, I don't have a picture, but it is the exact same linkage, mine just goes underneath the rear suspension eye. Yours makes more sense, its easier to take apart if you want to switch springs. When I changed springs I had to disassemble the entire rear suspension.

Mine was supposed to be an 06' I bought it from a guy last winter, and it was barely used so I didn't think twice about it being any older. Either way, its a cool bike.

I'll try and remember to post a damn picture this evening, its interesting comparing the little changes.

^vindicator!
    My new bombproof-do anything bike. Just put the Avy on last night so I haven't ridden it yet , but even with the Manitou 4 way that came with the frame this bike rocks!
    nice ride
    Haha, I was wondering when he was gonna hit the brakes

Equal opportunity meanie
    You'll notice that my bike with two chainrings doesn't have, and doesn't need, a chainguide That's because the parallel control arms practically eliminate chaingrowth. Also the suspension remains fully active when braking without a floating brake. And the moto link gives the suspension a rising rate. All these advantages are very useful in the real world and are not to be achieved with a mono pivot. Those extra bars and links are there for a reason.
    It has plenty of chaingrowth like any non-concentric BB pivot fully. This is what the rear derailleur pulley is for. A derailleur and a bash serves equally as well as a chainguide. The suspension/braking also remains about as "active" as any Lawwill designed bike (Yeti/Schwinn/Rotec). The extra "moto" link with that many linkage members is also unnecessary since the same leverage curve can be made without it - example: any Lawwill design. A well placed linkage driven single pivot gets the same job done with more neutral braking, equal or better pedaling, equally tune-able leverage curve, and can be made stiffer and lighter....a mono-pivot physically can't, but it can come very close. If a bike is going to have 6 bars to the back end it had better offer substantially more performance than a well made 4 bar for the added weight and maintenance penalties.

Yes, I've ridden it. Yes, it rides nice. Yes, it's way overkill.

Living the High Life
    Finally, the pictures! And since everyone loves builds...here's the bike I'm replacing the Huckster with! Not that there is anything wrong with the Huckster, I'm not selling it, my wife is going to start riding it now. Its a medium and fits her better, the Giant Faith (with the link flipped!) is a large and a better DH bike, while the Huckster is a better FR.

PLUG HERE note the KOWA fork

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    It has plenty of chaingrowth like any non-concentric BB pivot fully. This is what the rear derailleur pulley is for. A derailleur and a bash serves equally as well as a chainguide. The suspension/braking also remains about as "active" as any Lawwill designed bike (Yeti/Schwinn/Rotec). The extra "moto" link with that many linkage members is also unnecessary since the same leverage curve can be made without it - example: any Lawwill design. A well placed linkage driven single pivot gets the same job done with more neutral braking, equal or better pedaling, equally tune-able leverage curve, and can be made stiffer and lighter....a mono-pivot physically can't, but it can come very close. If a bike is going to have 6 bars to the back end it had better offer substantially more performance than a well made 4 bar for the added weight and maintenance penalties.

Yes, I've ridden it. Yes, it rides nice. Yes, it's way overkill.
    "It has plenty of chaingrowth like any non-concentric BB pivot fully. This is what the rear derailleur pulley is for.'

So that's why we never see derailleur pulleys on hardtails I guess.....

you're wrong about chain growth too. There's this guy named Horst, and he figured out how to reduce chain growth substantially. That's why a long travel mono pivot has pedal kickback when you have a chainring that the pivot's not optimised for....like when you have two of them.

Mono pivots stiffen up under braking. That's why they use floating brakes. Who doesn't know that? Jeez

Four bars are more active braking, again common knowledge. But hey, whatever dude. I'm glad you like your bike. I know when you post about your new rig I won't be dissing it with a bunch of bogus nonsense because I have better things to do.

mtbr member
    hahaha, "theres this guy named Horst"

mtbr member
    Hey what fork do you guys recommend and why...also what headangle does your fork gives your bikes...thanks Rafael
    -R

Oakland
    2010 Titus El Guapo
    2011 Corsair Crown

http://www.titusti.com/2010/
    http://www.corsairbikes.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Nice bikes
    Go BIG or Go HOME

外国人
    Jun 2007
    wow kowa forks. how do they hold up? they say kowa is the boxxer of japan

mtbr member
    yea i thought it was a boxxer at first glance

moaaar shimz

Sweet huh?

mtbr member

Latest Pix...

Just wanted to share my latest pix of my huckster...still not sure if I should keep this fork a 2002 Marzocchi Monster T, or get an 06 180mm Travis Triple, or a 2006 66 RC2X. What would you recommend.

-R
    -R

Oakland
    2010 Titus El Guapo
    2011 Corsair Crown

http://www.titusti.com/2010/
    http://www.corsairbikes.com/

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast