Disco-Superfly

Hub "lockup" wtf?????

Ok so heres the story...
    I purchased a brand new Dirty Sanchez 10x135mm 32 hole hub
    It has 48 engagement points, and 4 sealed cartridge bearings (I think 4 pawl)
    I bought it for $180cdn off www.bikebasement.ca

I just got my wheel rebuilt with it on today, and I was riding my bike around the mall parking lot for about 30 mins or so, listening to the clicking and playing with how fast it engages.. when suddendly, I couldnt pedal???
    I checked that my chain wasnt jammed or anything... and I could coast fine and the hub would click, but I still could not pedal..... I had to go home anyways so coasted towards my van and went home..
    I took the wheel off at home and looked at it, nothing was bent or anything...
    I then spun the cassette backwards to make the clicking, and noticed that the whole entire bearing system spun with the cassette, trying to spin the cassette and hold the bearings from spinning, I couldnt.... The bearins move with the cassette, which does not allow me to pedal...Its all locked together.... So its like the stuck bearings are just sliding over the axle making it Extremely difficult to move the hub in forward working motion...
    I dont have cone wrenches or a cassette tool, and dont know anything about sealed bearing hubs.... I dont know when is the next time I can take it to the LBS, but It should be in a few days...

What is going on here??? Can the LBS fix this? is something broke already??
    Its a brand new hub only used by me for 30 mins in a parking lot...
    Is this common?
    It will most likely be under warranty... but I dont want to have to spend another 30 bucks getting my wheel rebuilt and all that warranty BS....

Thanks in advacne for any help...
    Jake
    Santa Cruz V10

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

Samsonite Tester
    There are some very good reasons to pay a little extra and buy things from the LBS .

Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

Glad to Be Alive
    I sent my hubs back to Hadley with the rim on......and they took care of everything else
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Why aren't you riding????
    smells like a shi**y hub!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by offtheedge; 06-27-2006 at 05:25 PM.

rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by Evel Knievel
    There are some very good reasons to pay a little extra and buy things from the LBS .
    YUP. i don't know about you guys, but i get better deals thru my LBS than online. only reason to buy something online is a close-out deal or insane price smash.

sounds like your dirty sanchez hub just donkey punched you.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by j_a_k_e_69@hotmail.com
    ..I purchased a brand new Dirty Sanchez....
    you should have pait extra for the Rusty Trombone instead......

Riding with...
    your hub blew up. buy a chris king or hadley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith
    Isn't the proper etiquette on this forum to wait until he posts a picture of himself dropping it, and then spend 70 posts arguing about how big it is? I mean, let's not jump the gun, without a pic of his bike in the air, we can't have photoshopped triagulations and geometrical equations showing why it's really 2 feet and not 22 feet.
    "Quick, pass the bike up again so i can hit it before it starts to hurt!!"

AIM: Haroracer842

Retread soul rider
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    i don't know about you guys, but i get better deals thru my LBS than online. only reason to buy something online is a close-out deal or insane price smash.
    EXACTLY! Here in San Antonio we have an LBS named Drop Zone Cycling where we get better than online pricing every day. Talk about loyal customers!! I guess it helps that it's the only place in town to buy FR stuff.

Disco-Superfly
    Well thanks for telling me to spend 400 on a hub instead of 200.....
    Can you even get 10x135 hubs from hadley?

I guess there is nothing to do other than see if warranty will do anything?
    I will call the LBS see what he thinks

I could buy 2 hubs online for the price of one at the LBS...
    Jake
    Santa Cruz V10

Why aren't you riding????
    Well thanks for telling me to spend 400 on a hub instead of 200.....
    Can you even get 10x135 hubs from hadley?

I guess there is nothing to do other than see if warranty will do anything?
    I will call the LBS see what he thinks

I could buy 2 hubs online for the price of one at the LBS...

because with the $400 hub your thread would have been titled:

WOW MY Bike Rolls Fast!

....and you need to find a new LBS if they wont price match.

Disco-Superfly
    I was just on the phone with the LBS that built my wheel, and he said that one of his hubs had done the same thing and it was something small, hes 80% sure he can fix it... all I have to do is bring it in...
    There is warranty on it anyways to back me up if all goes wrong...

and 400 bucks isnt easy when you are a student, im sure there are others that know this...
    Jake
    Santa Cruz V10

Riding with...
    im 11 years old and i can get everything from mummy and daddy! just kidding, 4got this isnt pinkbike. i know what u mean about not getting money quick. what i do is buy used and then sell for more than i bought it for and slowly make money/ work ur spec list up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith
    Isn't the proper etiquette on this forum to wait until he posts a picture of himself dropping it, and then spend 70 posts arguing about how big it is? I mean, let's not jump the gun, without a pic of his bike in the air, we can't have photoshopped triagulations and geometrical equations showing why it's really 2 feet and not 22 feet.
    "Quick, pass the bike up again so i can hit it before it starts to hurt!!"

AIM: Haroracer842

Disco-Superfly
    So I brought it to the LBS today, and they opened it up and it turns out one of my bearings inside is crushed.... I have no idea why it crushed but it was BS...

So I left a message with bikebasement to see if they can help me out any...

Cant really say thanks becuase you guys didnt help much....

oh and I dont think there is many hubs that are 32+ engagement that is 10x135 32h
    Jake
    Santa Cruz V10

banned
    Chris King.

I need that same size with 36h mann

Disco-Superfly
    Looking at it I see 2 rings offset with 3 pawls on each, so that makes 6 Pawl?
    and on those pawls there is 2 little pawls.... Holy sh!t like 12 pawl....(i think its considered to be 6)
    I see 3 sealed bearings, and those are intact, the one I cant see must be the broken one, and I cant figure out how to get to it..... If I could get to it, I could just replace that and be good to go...

So its not really cheap sh!t.....
    Jake
    Santa Cruz V10

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    Looking at it I see 2 rings offset with 3 pawls on each, so that makes 6 Pawl?
    and on those pawls there is 2 little pawls.... Holy sh!t like 12 pawl....(i think its considered to be 6)
    I see 3 sealed bearings, and those are intact, the one I cant see must be the broken one, and I cant figure out how to get to it..... If I could get to it, I could just replace that and be good to go...

So its not really cheap sh!t.....
    No, it's definitely "cheap sh!t" if it bogs down when riding in the parking lot. Online bike shops be damned!

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryJerry
    No, it's definitely "cheap sh!t" if it bogs down when riding in the parking lot. Online bike shops be damned!
    It was a defect, every product cant be perfect everytime....
    I got a hold of the guy and hes giving me a warranty to any part of the hub I want, even the whole hub....

I sent him a picture of what I wanted and he is away untill monday but he is replacing the whole middle part of the hub as i requested, not sure if he wants the faulty one or not?...Free of charge with xpresspost.. The reason why I dont want the whole hub is becuase the thing was just rebuilt to my wheel so...

I just got unlucky.... But the guy at bikebasement isnt a bullsh!tter....
    Props to warranty
    Jake
    Santa Cruz V10

Disco-Superfly
    Holy SH!T.....

Well lets start with the good stuff....

The hub is covered, he is sending me the whole guts of the hub, instead of just a bearing kit, so he can get me going faster so I can make my trip on the 14th, so that is a go... and then when I get the new hub part I can send him mine afterwards

I put the broken hub on my bike to see if it would work but just pedal sh!tty..... and it tunred out when I pedalled the hub just seemed like it was skipping over the engagements, but at the same time it would click and go through the engagements...??
    So I took it off and...

Good f*cking thing hes sending me the whole middle, becusae I tore the other one right in half!.... The cassette body and the outer right bearing is ripped off the whole other side of the hub! The pawls are connected to the rest of the inside, along with 1 other bearing, and then there is one still in my hub..and that is seperated from the cassette holding part... So its not a broken bearing, its a broken entire hub.... Definately a factory f*cuk up if I tear the hub apart while riding in a parking lot.. anyways

I will have sick macro pics of the tearadge tomorow (just figured out how to use my camera correctly)... but this computer is too old it doesnt have USB....so I gotta upload elsewhere..
    Jake
    Santa Cruz V10

**** that i'm piggy *****
    damn that sucks!
    [SIZE=5]member of the ZombiEKilleRSquadroN[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]"we kill zombies dead!"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]live to ride or ride to live![/SIZE]
    sponsers for 06:
    [SIZE=3]intense tire company[/SIZE]

TNC
    noMAD man
    Jake, I'm impressed with your mechanical tenacity...considering your Hayes brake deal awhile back. And listening to some of your apparent comprehension skills on the mechanical problems you've posted on this and in the past, you sound like you have the makings of a great mechanic. Sometimes not having a bunch of money to throw at new or expensive parts makes you learn how to fix what you got.

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Jake, I'm impressed with your mechanical tenacity...considering your Hayes brake deal awhile back. And listening to some of your apparent comprehension skills on the mechanical problems you've posted on this and in the past, you sound like you have the makings of a great mechanic. Sometimes not having a bunch of money to throw at new or expensive parts makes you learn how to fix what you got.
    Thanks TNC... The brakes are perfect now, and I in no ways regret swapping the master cylinder...
    I feel that I do have some pretty good mechanical skill for my age, and I am not afraid to take things apart, instead of bringing it to the LBS, try it yourself, if you cant do it or are having troubles, looks like you are bringing it there anyways, I just ask on here too/ look on site PDFs and read manuals... I had to get the LBS to loosen my cones because I dont own cone wrenches, and dont plan on buying them if this will be the last time I will ever use them... anyway...

I am changing the starter shaft and trasmission casing on the MX bike here this week.... that should be fun

I had my BB apart yesterday and re lubed that and had no problems.. stoped the cracking noise anyway (I actually bought the puller & BB tool.) that wasnt much of a challenge...

I am changing my fork oil later tonight, so I might have to ring on here for assistance, but im sure I will be fine, I am just waiting on that stupid 1mm allen key for the preload adjuster caps. (Cant wait I just bought a liter of 7.5wt Golden Spectro synthetic!)

I just cant wait to get this hub up and running again, the 48 engagement just makes me excited... (it has 24 but with dual offset ring drive) so 3 pawl at a time for 6 in total humming over 24 engagements....Impressive stuff..and the bearings are huge
    Last edited by Jake_HT; 07-08-2006 at 11:40 AM.
    Jake
    Santa Cruz V10

Disco-Superfly
    Oil change went smoothly, fork oil smells like puke....
    Too bad I cant ride the fork......... still waiting on the hub
    Jake
    Santa Cruz V10