Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Howitzer Crank keeps coming loose.

I have a brand new build on a Driver 8. The drive side crank keeps coming loose for some reason. I can't figure out what's going on. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Try using Loctite on it or something similar to keep the bolt tight. I have a good friend who had that crank on his bike and had the exact same problem. To make a long story short he no longer has that crank as nothing worked and no matter what he did or others suggested, it kept on coming loose.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

Uphill? What's that
    I had the same issue with this crank. Seams like once it starts coming loose you cant keep it tight. Time to get something new.

mtbr member
    Buy new cranks!

Howitzer bbs either seize the cranks on solid or won't hold them at all, a cheap set of Shimano Deore's will be just as strong, but reliable.

Professional Troll
    False, you can keep them tight. Are they self extracting bolts? If so, change that. Second of all, use red loctite. Not that blue crap. It will work, trust me. I'm on year 6 for my howitzer cranks on my DJ bike.

Now with More Wood
    Step 1 = remove the old crank. All of it.
    Step 2 = fit new crank of choice. Just pick one.
    Step 3 = live happily ever after.

mtbr member
    i mean if you cant even figure out why it comes lose, might as well just give up riding. cuz most likely you dont have what it takes to learn the skills. you gotta know how everything works , so when you ride hard, you can fine tune everything. like any race car driver, they are not just drivers they all know cars inside out, so they can give orders to mechanic to change stuffs around for different courses

changing a new crank is like running away from a problem of your life. A real man never runs.
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    15 Gravity Bullseye Monster
    04 Giant Simple

My craigslist for sale

Look at the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by hitek79 View Post
    I have a brand new build on a Driver 8. The drive side crank keeps coming loose for some reason. I can't figure out what's going on. Any ideas?
    Let me guess - the bolt came loose a while ago, but you didn't notice it immediately and kept riding for a while?

If you ride with a loose crank, the spline interface between the axle and crank wears out - fast. Now the crank has play on the axle, which means that it will work itself loose again even if you do tighten the bolt. Loctite can help, but once this goes beyond a certain point, you are stuffed. You will need a new crank, even if that means akacoke won't consider you a "real man" anymore, which is incredibly tragic.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by akacoke View Post
    i mean if you cant even figure out why it comes lose, might as well just give up riding. cuz most likely you dont have what it takes to learn the skills. you gotta know how everything works , so when you ride hard, you can fine tune everything. like any race car driver, they are not just drivers they all know cars inside out, so they can give orders to mechanic to change stuffs around for different courses

changing a new crank is like running away from a problem of your life. A real man never runs.
    According to your logic, the next time your hard drive crashes, you should stop going on the internet.

With any luck, that could be soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lelebebbel View Post
    Let me guess - the bolt came loose a while ago, but you didn't notice it immediately and kept riding for a while?

If you ride with a loose crank, the spline interface between the axle and crank wears out - fast. Now the crank has play on the axle, which means that it will work itself loose again even if you do tighten the bolt. Loctite can help, but once this goes beyond a certain point, you are stuffed. You will need a new crank, even if that means akacoke won't consider you a "real man" anymore, which is incredibly tragic.
    No, it was a brand new build, so after my first run I checked everything over, and it was just a tad bit loose. 2 runs later it was just a bit loose again. It was also loose after a couple of runs this past weekend too. Nothing catastrophic, but had a small about of play in it. The threads were all perfectly fine. I'll try the loctite and see if that helps.

mtbr member
    I recommend taking the crank off and verifying there is a good amount of grease on the splines. Also, clean all of the grease off the bolt & bb threads before applying loctite. Lastly, use a torque wrench to 40 ft/lbs (I believe). I have them as well, that appeared to keep mine nice and tight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2058 View Post
    According to your logic, the next time your hard drive crashes, you should stop going on the internet.

With any luck, that could be soon.
    if you know your gears , you properly maintain them , they last 3- 4times longer then average. my hard drive lasted 6 years so does my laptop. its still good. i constantly reinstall system . and maintain my harddrive with softwares. the disks are properly separated, i dont think any time soon its gonna crash. in fact , when i was in china i used to have a computer for 15 years harddrive was still good at the time i recycled it. you might think i dont even use my computer, tell you this, i dont own a tv.

just like your bike , cars and motorcycle. anything mechanical should be properly maintained . to know when to do it and how to do it, you gotta know how they work. so when you use them hard you are confident that there wont be any problems.
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    04 Giant Simple

My craigslist for sale

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitek79 View Post
    No, it was a brand new build, so after my first run I checked everything over, and it was just a tad bit loose. 2 runs later it was just a bit loose again. It was also loose after a couple of runs this past weekend too. Nothing catastrophic, but had a small about of play in it. The threads were all perfectly fine. I'll try the loctite and see if that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by lelebebbel View Post

there were a time i had my race face crank coming lose. turn out the spindle was a tad bit long so the crank wont seat on the cup dust cover tight, when i put it on it was tight but after riding a bit, it comes lose. adding washers would change the chain line. so i filed down the spindle for about 1mm problem solved.

as for your problem. your BB Cups lock the spindle in place if there is no place before you put on the cranks that means the BB is eliminated for causing the play. id measure your current chain line compare to your correct chain line, if its off by couple millimeters that means you need couple of spacers . or if the chain line is correct for what the bike called for you might wanna file down the spindle a lil bit so the crank arm will fully seat on the cup dust cover
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    04 Giant Simple

My craigslist for sale

mtbr member
    if you know your gears , you properly maintain them , they last 3- 4times longer then average. my hard drive lasted 6 years so does my laptop. its still good. i constantly reinstall system . and maintain my harddrive with softwares. the disks are properly separated, i dont think any time soon its gonna crash. in fact , when i was in china i used to have a computer for 15 years harddrive was still good at the time i recycled it. you might think i dont even use my computer, tell you this, i dont own a tv.

just like your bike , cars and motorcycle. anything mechanical should be properly maintained . to know when to do it and how to do it, you gotta know how they work. so when you use them hard you are confident that there wont be any problems.
    Not sure why I'm jumping in here. Also not quite sure what in the world you're getting at in the first paragraph but heck... You are correct about proper maintenance but sometimes the engineers just simply don't get things right. Sometimes the product in question works perfectly in a laboratory environment but upon being exposed to the real world, it fails miserably and the consumer can't understand who in their right mind would design something that failed so horribly. I'm a mechanical engineer and will be the first to tell you that sometimes things simply don't work how they should but frankly it shouldn't take one to know that.

My suggestion to the OP again is to replace the crank with something else.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnozpikr View Post
    Not sure why I'm jumping in here. Also not quite sure what in the world you're getting at in the first paragraph but heck... You are correct about proper maintenance but sometimes the engineers just simply don't get things right. Sometimes the product in question works perfectly in a laboratory environment but upon being exposed to the real world, it fails miserably and the consumer can't understand who in their right mind would design something that failed so horribly. I'm a mechanical engineer and will be the first to tell you that sometimes things simply don't work how they should but frankly it shouldn't take one to know that.

My suggestion to the OP again is to replace the crank with something else.

you are right, i totally forgot about products that have design flaws. i just wasnt thinking in the direction because its just a simple crankset, there is really not much to it. not much you need to do to correct the design flaws, if there is any.

i came on a lil too aggressive, and harsh in my first post. its really just not that big of deal.

if OP were to buy a new crankset. since the old one dont work he cant sell it. i suggest OP just grind down the spindle about 2mm see if it still goes lose.
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    04 Giant Simple

My craigslist for sale

Now with More Wood

OK, but there are millions of people out there who couldn't even identify a harddrive if you pointed it out to them - that doesn't stop them from using a computer?

I have a bunch of riding friends who don't have a clue about bike maintenance. And some others that do. They all ride hard, you couldn't tell the difference between them. Only the bike shop can...

The fact is that the Howitzer crank is notoriously troublesome, and there are other designs out there that are far superior.

mtbr member
    OK, but there are millions of people out there who couldn't even identify a harddrive if you pointed it out to them - that doesn't stop them from using a computer?

I have a bunch of riding friends who don't have a clue about bike maintenance. And some others that do. They all ride hard, you couldn't tell the difference between them. Only the bike shop can...

The fact is that the Howitzer crank is notoriously troublesome, and there are other designs out there that are far superior.
    you comparing different stuff together, computer and mountain biking is different when it comes to something wrong. can you dead using a computer? can you break your bones using your computer?

both could happen when mountain biking. so i dont think we should compare using computer to riding mountain bike
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    04 Giant Simple

My craigslist for sale

Now with More Wood
    you comparing different stuff together, computer and mountain biking is different when it comes to something wrong. can you dead using a computer? can you break your bones using your computer?

both could happen when mountain biking. so i dont think we should compare using computer to riding mountain bike
    OK, I can still see this horse moving. It's wriggling a leg. Give me my stick again.

It's the same principle. You can use one without knowing exactly how everything works. Lot's of people are happy to work on gear indexing, change a chain, fix a puncture, tighten a headset...but get uneasy when it comes to cranks or suspension. Those are arguably more complicated components. I think everybody agrees that it's a good idea to know a bit about how your bike works - but I don't think you need to know how to file down your (badly designed) crankset to be allowed to ride a bike.

There, is the horse dead yet?

mtbr member
    Wow we have a handfull of internets armchair mechanics on here!

#1 problem the Howitzer interface does not stay tight is becasue the washer between the bolt and BB spindle has been lost or not used.

I used the Howizter/Holzfeller set up on 2 DH bikes 4-5 years and never had issues. If I recall I also went through 2 BB's with each set of cranks. The only time I ever experienced loose cranks with that BB in a shop setting was when the customer had to remove his crank arms and did not replace the washers.

mtbr member
    OK, I can still see this horse moving. It's wriggling a leg. Give me my stick again.

It's the same principle. You can use one without knowing exactly how everything works. Lot's of people are happy to work on gear indexing, change a chain, fix a puncture, tighten a headset...but get uneasy when it comes to cranks or suspension. Those are arguably more complicated components. I think everybody agrees that it's a good idea to know a bit about how your bike works - but I don't think you need to know how to file down your (badly designed) crankset to be allowed to ride a bike.

There, is the horse dead yet?

yeah, dead for sure

Quote Originally Posted by boogenman View Post
    Wow we have a handfull of internets armchair mechanics on here!

#1 problem the Howitzer interface does not stay tight is becasue the washer between the bolt and BB spindle has been lost or not used.

I used the Howizter/Holzfeller set up on 2 DH bikes 4-5 years and never had issues. If I recall I also went through 2 BB's with each set of cranks. The only time I ever experienced loose cranks with that BB in a shop setting was when the customer had to remove his crank arms and did not replace the washers.
    i like truvativ/sram product, some of my bikes and the used bikes i bought have howizter and holzfeller isis cranks , not a single problem, lasted years

just measure the chainline add washers, of file down the spindle, let the arm seat on the cup, itd fix the problem. now where is the OP?
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    04 Giant Simple

My craigslist for sale

mtbr member
    I'm gonna leave to stupid arguing to you two. No reason for me to mess things up.

mtbr member
    you sound like you know, why did you post this thread when people tell you how to fix things you dont believe it ?
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    04 Giant Simple

My craigslist for sale

mtbr member
    Where did I say I didn't believe someone? I'm talking about you two arguing about hard drives.

mtbr member
    yeah, dead for sure

just measure the chainline add washers, of file down the spindle, let the arm seat on the cup, itd fix the problem. now where is the OP?
    What's the best way to file down the spindle?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    This is hilarious....can we argue the meaning of life next?!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast