mtbr member

How well does snowshoe handle rain?

posted this in the WV forum, but figure I could get some hits here too.

Thinking about heading here for Sat and Sunday, but rain is in the forecast before and during.

How well do the trails handle rain?

Thanks in advance

Uphill? What's that
    Still to early to tell what the weather will be like this weekend but if it does rain.. The basin side gets pretty bad, especially the new entrance. The western territories can get slick because of the clay but are usually OK as long as its not a complete washout.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Don't know when you need to leave by but I'll be there Thursday and Friday. I can post then. Gonna hit Bryce on Wednesday. I'm hopeful the rain will be light and I might stay Saturday.

Racer
    snowshoe handles rain very well...that is if you are used to lots of mud and slick roots. west virginia always gets tons of rain and i have ridden snowshoe many times in wet/slick conditions. It certainly makes you a better rider but can be very rough if you are not used to it. Personally, i love how technical the trails get when they are slick. one time i raced there during a thunderstorm and there was a frickin river flowing down the course. They canceled the race during my run lol....then i rode the lift up during a lightning storm. snowshoe can get intense but i love it.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    It'll just build skills in the wet. The Pro DH trail, Ninga Bob, and Sweet Dreams are damn good trails...even with rain.

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Headed up sat, sun & mon, I don't mind mudd-buttn in the rain, mud & slop, but the lift sux when its like that......Fingers X'd.

Sun. & Mon. not lookin too good...sux.
    Last edited by man w/ one hand; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:31 PM.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

"Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

I bike long tyme.
    If there's one thing I've learned from owning a place and riding at Snowshoe for the last 17 years, it's that you can never really trust any weather forecast for the mountain. Unless there is a guaranteed monsoon pattern moving through the entire region, it's completely hit and miss. Time after time, after time, after time, I've went down expecting inclement weather only to wind up with four days of blue skies and perfect trail conditions. And the opposite has happened too. I don't even bother to even look at the weather forecast anymore, I just go. It's good riding either way. For the extra-anxious, a good early indicator to current trail conditions are all the small creeks along the roads as you start getting near the mountain. If they're running low and clear, the trails are likely gonna be prime. If they're high and discolored, prepare for a mudfest! I can honestly say that riding at Snowshoe has been some of the muddiest times of my life. I'd actually rather ride in a downpour there than the sticky, mucky aftermath.
    People wait for me on the way up. I wait for them on the way down.

The weather was great for 90% of the riding this past Sat/Sun/Mon on SS. It rained over night each day but the trails drain pretty good so it got tacky fairly quick. Now if I could just get rid of aching hand/back/arm/etc. I love going to the mtns on SS or at home in NC on "predicted" rainy days & finding blue skys, as Secace said. I can easily say that I have gone to the mtns on rainy days only to find perfect weather up there way more times than going up & finding the nastiness that was predicted.

Gotta love that mtn weather!!!