mtbr member
    Jun 2016

How to protect but not overheat!?

Guys and Gals,

Last week it was a scorcher here and so I decided not to wear my armour, no elbow pads either and of course...it was the day I stacked it bad.

Thankfully nothing broken but really bad graze/burns on my arms, luckily also not my torso...

What I'm asking is...what protection do you wear but on a really hot day, keep cool?? This is for serious downhill and amplitude of course, not your average trail riding..

I seem to sweat a heck of a lot, particularly when wearing my Dianese suit and it's pretty uncomfortable. I'll 'always' wear it from now on but what do you recommend...

Cheers

Kick Start My Heart
    I am wearing some Troy Lee protection, (7855 LS shirt), and Yeah, it runs hot. Lately I've been wearing a light poly tshirt under the armour and then a loose weave jersey over.
    Out the gate, yeah, it's a little warmer, but after it gets a little damp, the moisture evaporating off the shirt seems to keep me a little cooler.
    Maybe it's in my head, but you could give it a shot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

May The Force Be With You
    Lots of water and a some sodium chloride supplements. I've seen people who don't like to carry water when riding leave 1gal. Water jugs at the top and bottom of the lifts and on the trails(although I'm not a fan of leaving things on the trail because they are more then likely left behind, Tread Lightly)

'11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Glad to Be Alive
    I wear a breathing tank top under my armour for no nipple rash, then my azonic armour https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/326122/

then have a light short sleeve mesh shirt (I cut the sleeves off) First Look: 2015 Troy Lee Designs Apparel - Mountain Bikes Feature Stories - Vital MTB

get a camelback and put water with a splash of grapfruit juice...take it easy when pedaling
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Glad to Be Alive
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Pivotal figure
    Have you considered using a cooling vest? It'll add some bulk but they do help keep your core temp lower
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    TLD long sleeve shirt for most days, I like the long sleeve because it has the elbows attached and they don't become wrist guards... Band-aids over the nips for chaffing!

I also have a Kali Sarpa Armor with hard shell for the serious DH days like AF and Keystone, that one is a little warmer but I wear it over my jersey and it can be taken off easily to breathe.

Glad to Be Alive
    also wet your head with cold water