mtbr member

How long before you guys are having rear shocks serviced?

As title says. Just curious because I'm losing damping to a noticeable extent about every 18 months. I understand the oil gets contaminated (dirt but the bigger culprit is air/N2 from what the experts tell me). Current shock has small oil capacity (Avy converted Prog 5th) and I was getting about 2 years out of my DHX's. Thinking of trying something that needs a bit less maintenance or is that just wishful thinking? Is everyone having to service their shocks as often as I do?

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    As far as your 5th goes it has a pretty small reservoir so your limited on oil and breakdown or contamination can happen a bit quicker....the reason they make larger resevoirs for the dhx shocks.

I've never sent an avy in for service...just lengthening or size mod to fit another frame.

Heck my avy cart in my boxxer was over 18 months before I sold it still not serviced. Been another 7 months....

I blew up a couple other shocks though.....my dhx 5.0 is at avalanche right now getting done part of the fox stuff inside had enough and gave up...lol...
    Its getting modded with a larger reservoir for longer intervals and more oil for better consistent damping on longer runs.

I don't like my bike being down to have stuff serviced even if I don't plan on riding a ride may pop up that I can't miss. So as little as possible....
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

Huckin' trails
    As long as you don't get any creaks, air/oil loss or performance issue, you're good to go. But if you feel like it, you can always take the shock off the bike and remove coil/air pressure and with all settings open cycle the shock by hand and listen/look for creaks and excessive stickiness or rough friction. Also try with the rebound set as slow as possible, to check for constant return speed.

If it's all good, clean up the frame mount and shock and install back. If not, post it up and we'll see what we can suggest for ya
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have my DB coil done every year. Though I just had it done this year and when I went through last years paperwork it was actually 18 months since I had last had it done.

I dont ever let it get to a point of any noticable problems, so its basically preventative maintenance.

Look at the time!
    I run an Elka Stage 5, one of the benefits of which is long service intervals. Elka recommends 500hr service intervals for oil change and seals. If I spend, say, 5hrs a week actually riding this bike (which is obviously not including time on the shuttle car), that gives me about a 2 year life. If I spent more time pedalling the thing up hill, It'd be closer to 10 or 12 hours a week, or 12-18month service interval.

Thats the theory at least. In practice, the shock had to be fixed under warranty after 6 months for some internal defect, and blew an oil seal at 12 months in, so....
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Every 2 years for my Foxes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lelebebbel View Post
    I run an Elka Stage 5, one of the benefits of which is long service intervals. Elka recommends 500hr service intervals for oil change and seals. If I spend, say, 5hrs a week actually riding this bike (which is obviously not including time on the shuttle car), that gives me about a 2 year life. If I spent more time pedalling the thing up hill, It'd be closer to 10 or 12 hours a week, or 12-18month service interval.

Thats the theory at least. In practice, the shock had to be fixed under warranty after 6 months for some internal defect, and blew an oil seal at 12 months in, so....
    Have you compared the Elka to an RC4? I just got a used Elka, but I think it may need a service. First initial part of the travel just doesn't feel right. Is your Elka noisy as fack?
    Folangag

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    , you can always take the shock off the bike and remove coil/air pressure and with all settings open cycle the shock by hand and listen/look for creaks and excessive stickiness or rough friction.
    I'm sure you meant thr air spring side, cycling the shock with no air in the res could be a bad thing

mtbr member
    You can service DHX's yourself...
    Mountains... because roads are boring
    My GoPro DH Channel <---- Please Subscribe!

mtbr member
    Has oil type and torque values for rc4 been posted somewhere?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    what is this thing you call serviced ??

sorry about my lack of comprehension, but I run Avalanche suspension

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    I'm sure you meant thr air spring side, cycling the shock with no air in the res could be a bad thing
    Well yes. Btw I wasn't talking about the IFP. Just to drop the pressure in your air shock chambers enough to be able to cycle it by hand or to remove the coil spring from your coil-over shock.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Uphill? What's that
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzeon View Post
    Have you compared the Elka to an RC4? I just got a used Elka, but I think it may need a service. First initial part of the travel just doesn't feel right. Is your Elka noisy as fack?
    I have been riding a stage 5 for 2 years with no problems..sounds like the person you bought the shock off of wasn't straight with you and sold you a shock in need of service..send it in for service and have them tune it for your bike that should solve any problems you might be having..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Bob View Post
    I have been riding a stage 5 for 2 years with no problems..sounds like the person you bought the shock off of wasn't straight with you and sold you a shock in need of service..send it in for service and have them tune it for your bike that should solve any problems you might be having..
    Yep, seems like the case. Finally tried the shock on the trail, and disappointingly the shock felt like shet! Shock felt "clunky" on the chatter, used most of its travel when railing berms in hard compression, and easily bottomed out on little jumps...My DHX definitely performed way better...

I will get the shock in for service. Reading on the positive posts, I have high hopes on the Elka once it comes back after service (fingers crossed ).
    Folangag

obsessive
    I do my shocks yearly, and split my time between a couple of bikes. They get a lot of use. You can feel the damping start to go in the first 15mm of shock travel, it blows through and tops out without any rebound damp in that zone. You can check yourself by reducing your preload and cycling the suspension by pushing down on the saddle. After service, this zone of travel will feel tight. I don't really notice a banged out shock deeper in the stroke, by then any air or degraded oil is already pushed through the valve and it's generally acting as it should, save for any changes in the viscosity from oil breakdown. Plus, I'd never let the scraper seal accumulate crap for more than a few months without removing for a clean and lube, whether oil and seals are changed or not. You need to baby that part of the system if you want your shock to last.
    Go out and ride your bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Running an x-fusion for 2 years, plus the time it was on the frame before I bought it (so probably close to 3 years). Hasn't been serviced, haven't noticed a change in performance. I ride less than others so that could have a lot to do with it (haven't gotten to ride my FR rig since November, when I blew a fork seal and have been on the road since then).
    Just another redneck with a bike

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by _rich_ View Post
    what is this thing you call serviced ??

sorry about my lack of comprehension, but I run Avalanche suspension
    right? been running mine since '05....