mtbr member

How to fix Manitou Stance Kingpins

I ordered a Stance Kingpin from Jensonusa.com cuz they we're $100 and I'm just gonna put it away for an extra fork. I'm thinking of building a cheap freeride bike and putting this fork on it. Anyway, I heard that the seals blow on this thing. It's something to do with an O-ring being too small and letting air into something which blows something else....I don't know the details. Do I buy a new O-ring or something. I just want some advice on what to do with it to make it better or fix it if the seals blow. I also heard you can swap the oil or springs to make it better. What's the scoop on that? I don't want some reply that says,"The Kingpin is a piece of junk, throw it in the trash and buy a 888" that doesn't help me. I can't afford a 888. I just want to make the best of this Kingpin. Thanks

Cynical Bystander
    Manitou was replacing the seals on them as from what I heard the first batch of them had bad seals (on all Stance forks) and so manitou was just dealing with it as a warranty issue and replacing them for people.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

N* Bomber Crew
    I was gonna say "Don't buy it in the first place..." buuut.....

First things first, get new seals from Manitou. I believe you need to upgraded ones (Evil Guieness Seals) and pop em in there. Second, remove ALL the grease. Get out all that you can of it. Third, put in oil (You choose the weight).

Now those are options I have heard, I don't know entirely if they work or not. Expirement around, just know that the options are there.
    [size=3]Northstar 2008 Riding Crew[/size]

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by cummings
    I ordered a Stance Kingpin from Jensonusa.com cuz they we're $100 and I'm just gonna put it away for an extra fork. I'm thinking of building a cheap freeride bike and putting this fork on it. Anyway, I heard that the seals blow on this thing. It's something to do with an O-ring being too small and letting air into something which blows something else....I don't know the details. Do I buy a new O-ring or something. I just want some advice on what to do with it to make it better or fix it if the seals blow. I also heard you can swap the oil or springs to make it better. What's the scoop on that? I don't want some reply that says,"The Kingpin is a piece of junk, throw it in the trash and buy a 888" that doesn't help me. I can't afford a 888. I just want to make the best of this Kingpin. Thanks

A post here talks about fixing one. I have no idea if it works. It is like the third or fourth post, I think.

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/2005_fro...t_124412.shtml

mtbr member
    Thanks to all you guys, and I had read that post before but I couldn't remember where. Thanks for bringing it up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    First things first, get new seals from Manitou. I believe you need to upgraded ones (Evil Guieness Seals) and pop em in there. Second, remove ALL the grease. Get out all that you can of it. Third, put in oil (You choose the weight).

Now those are options I have heard, I don't know entirely if they work or not. Expirement around, just know that the options are there.
    It says that the 05 kingpins already come with evil genius seals.

Pro Crastinator
    remove top caps, remove all the internals, pee in the fork, replace top caps, 100 times better than new....

mtbr member
    it says that 05 kingpins already come with evil genius seals.

Pro Crastinator
    it says that 05 kingpins already come with evil genius seals.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    remove top caps, remove all the internals, pee in the fork, replace top caps, 100 times better than new....
    Yeah but how do you know what weight your pee is (7.5, 10, etc.)so you can properly tune your fork???

SNOWRIDER
    Can you say "DUMPSTER"
    "If you don't go [skibiking] this year, you'll be at least one year older when you do." ~ Warren Miller
    (Check out the 'IMPACT' video for some skibike footage)

Young.Brash.Hopeful.
    Jul 2005

The stance came on my new rig, i immediately took it off and chucked it off an overpass to get some big rig treatment. 05' 888rc on monday!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by RadChad
    The stance came on my new rig, i immediately took it off and chucked it off an overpass to get some big rig treatment. 05' 888rc on monday!

just make it a Marz
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

banned
    Did you seriously do that? You could have gotten like $20 for it!

kona-tize me captain
    Quote Originally Posted by cummings
    It says that the 05 kingpins already come with evil genius seals.
    take out all the internals etc and fill the fork with several different types of candy. that way when the fork snaps in half you wont be mad you will actually be very happy cause there will be candy everywhere just waiting for you to gather and eat!

just take out all the grease and put oil in the fork thats the main thing i hear about the fork
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

Young.Brash.Hopeful.
    Jul 2005
    big rig treatment worked wonders on the stance, no more problems with the seals...

Quote Originally Posted by standard235
    Did you seriously do that? You could have gotten like $20 for it!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by austinb89
    take out all the internals etc and fill the fork with several different types of candy. that way when the fork snaps in half you wont be mad you will actually be very happy cause there will be candy everywhere just waiting for you to gather and eat!
    DH pinata...............
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days